Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gael Clichy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:07 am 

this lad has had a really good start for us so far, from what i saw of saturday's game he was marauding that left flank with real pace and verve. finally - a solution to our left back problems? him and richards bombing up and down the wings does give me a bit of a happy and a nicely attacking edge to our defence.

also gives good quote -

Gaël Clichy ready to show Manchester City the way against Napoli• Defender will use Champions League experience
• 'Fortunately I am not playing for Arsenal any more'

Tweet this

reddit this Press Association guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 13 September 2011 14.40 BST Article history #
Gaël Clichy says Manchester City will not underestimate Napoli in the Champions League on Wednesday. Photograph: Paul Burrows/Action Images
Gaël Clichy is confident Manchester City can make a big impact in their maiden Champions League campaign. City make their long-awaited entrance on Wednesday as they take on Napoli in their Group A opener at the Etihad Stadium.

Roberto Mancini's expensively assembled side have made a flying start to their domestic campaign and the French full-back Clichy, signed this summer, expects that to continue.

The former Arsenal player is one of a number of City players with plenty of Champions League experience, having made 42 appearances during his eight seasons in north London.

The 26-year-old said: "I am lucky enough to have been able to play in a few Champions League games for Arsenal, which was good, but I am aware it's a new competition for this club.

"It's not only me who has played in it before – Yaya [Touré] has won it. For us it may be one more game, like many we have played in the past, but we have to be aware it's a big part of City's season this year.

"We have to make sure that if there is something we can bring in terms of experience – and it may just be a little thing – that we bring it. Then maybe we can make the kind of statement in the Champions League we have been making since the start of the season. The confidence is there, and we go into this competition with no fear."

City will also play the German giants Bayern Munich and Spanish side Villarreal during the group stage. The group is considered one of the toughest in the competition and Clichy has brushed aside suggestions Napoli, third in Serie A last year, will be the easiest of the opponents.

"That is the view of people who don't really know about football," he said. "They are a strong side, and if you are at this stage of the competition and in the group, it means you have qualities. Champions League is a totally different kind of football."

Clichy joined City in a £7m deal in July and has so far been sharing left-back duties with Aleksandar Kolarov. He is keen to play as much as possible but accepts squad rotation is a necessity.

"When you sign for a club like City, with all those players, you have to be ready for the competition," he said. "You have to keep rotating – I have been there with Arsenal. When you are not injured and not playing you feel a bit upset, but that will pay off after December because we are playing every three days and you need a big squad to go all the way through."

While Clichy has revelled in City's outstanding start to the season – four league wins with 15 goals scored – the club he left behind have laboured. The Gunners lost two of their star players in Cesc Fábregas and Samir Nasri, the latter to City, and were thrashed 8-2 at Manchester United last month.

Clichy added: "I am sure they will be up there at the end of the season. They won at the weekend and it could be the turning point of their season. No one is happy to start the season like that. Fortunately I am not playing for Arsenal any more, and I am just enjoying my time here. Hopefully we can stay focused on our performances."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:13 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
finally - a solution to our left back problems?

No don't jinx it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 am 

tusko will fuck him up in training for that, won't he.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:11 pm 

i've been impressed with him too - been a bit surprised that some match reports have been lukewarm about his performances - he gets forward well and with pace but is much better defensively than kolorov

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:33 pm 

When I watched the match at the weekend, the commentator kept calling him 'Cliche', but with the accent on the e, as in: a tired, overused expression.

Might have been Pleat or Brooking, can't remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:07 pm 

Micah's getting a lot of praise in his thread and rightly so, but Clichy's been just as impressive this season I reckon. In terms of someone coming in and immediately playing well, he has to be one of our best signings. He's turned a position which has be our achilles heel for years into one of our biggest strengths, and that's played no small part to our success this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:55 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Micah's getting a lot of praise in his thread and rightly so, but Clichy's been just as impressive this season I reckon. In terms of someone coming in and immediately playing well, he has to be one of our best signings. He's turned a position which has be our achilles heel for years into one of our biggest strengths, and that's played no small part to our success this season.

Kolorov ain't been too shabby either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:52 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Kolorov ain't been too shabby either...

Agreed. He is one of our players who has really stepped up in the last 6 months, he was the target of criticism and he has shown he now does have a place in our squad against certain sides.

And Clichy? He started superbly, and has kinda been a little anonymous for me. Maybe that is harsh but I simply haven't noticed him lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 am 

I like to see his name on the teamsheet. Kolorov has certainly improved but I prefer Clichy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Agreed. He is one of our players who has really stepped up in the last 6 months, he was the target of criticism and he has shown he now does have a place in our squad against certain sides.

And Clichy? He started superbly, and has kinda been a little anonymous for me. Maybe that is harsh but I simply haven't noticed him lately.

Sign of a good defender, remember Wayne Bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:17 am 

Markered Man wrote:
I like to see his name on the teamsheet. Kolorov has certainly improved but I prefer Clichy.

...yes but he brings another dimension to the team, Clichy is preferred but for the right teams Kolarov can cause teams a lot of problems.

Winston_Smith wrote:

Yes I do. How quickly he faded, he was the messiah and then within about 10 matches he was a groan figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:20 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Yes I do. How quickly he faded, he was the messiah and then within about 10 matches he was a groan figure.

Had a few of them in our time tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:

ditto. i have not once had to scream his name in despair for wondering wherre the fuck he is, or why the fuck he is backing off from someone who then puts in a cross or shot that means we go 1 nil (or 6) down.
Winston_Smith wrote:

i still wake sweating and screaming from thoughts of garrido. bridge is but a balmy summer day compared to wintery blizzard of the raping we got at the hands of chelsea - with the collusion of garrido all but tearing off our trousers and lubing us up.
Winston_Smith wrote:
Had a [S]few[/S] fucking load of them in our time tbf.

fixed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 am 

I've noticed Clichy every game he plays, mainly cos my stomach automatically starts turning every time the balls in our left back area. He's solid, not many wingers will out pace him, doesn't dive in unnecessarily and heads the ball when he has to. Going forward he's excellent too, wonderful delivery on his left foot. At £7m I think he has to go down as our biggest bargain since Komps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:27 pm 

conk

took us fucking years to get a decent lb, now we have two

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
I've noticed Clichy every game he plays, mainly cos my stomach automatically starts turning every time the balls in our left back area. He's solid, not many wingers will out pace him, doesn't dive in unnecessarily and heads the ball when he has to. Going forward he's excellent too, wonderful delivery on his left foot. At £7m I think he has to go down as our biggest bargain since Komps.

Isn't this feeling quite regular for gay blokes anyway? I get it quite a bit.

Gael is a narly blokes name. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm 

Sequence of names most likely to lead to homosexual encounter:

1. Gay Assulin
2. Gael Clichy
3. Danny's Studs
4. Sydney Mardi Gras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 pm 

Yep. I think Antoine as well. And Josh.

Post subject: