Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:12 pm 

SSN are all over it now. He's a fuckin' nob. Sick to death of him, Sinclair apparently reacted to a challange from Mario and it all kicked off with Mancini pulling Mario to one side. He's done this with 3 or 4 players now. He's a liability, if he reacts like that in training whats he gonna do on the pitch. Gobshite :mad:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm 

Meh. Two Italians getting over excited. Non story.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:15 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Meh. Two Italians getting over excited. Non story.

Agree

Mancini seemed to be more the agressor than Mario in this instance.

Let's wait to hear what Bobby says about it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:21 pm 

I guessing it will be something along the lines of; "Is normal".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm 

Bastards sig>>>>>>always right..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 am 

fucks sake i first heard about this when it was on the bbc evening news with dramatic voiceover and pictures what a pile of overblown shite

they wheeled out alan fucking curbishley to say a couple of irrelevant things, what's the point

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 am 

tbh mancini really shouldn't be squaring up to his players.

nor dancing with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 am 

Mario Balotelli and Roberto Mancini both come out of this fracas badlyBalotelli is becoming more famous for fights than football but the pictures don't look clever for Manchester City's manager either
In pictures: Mario Balotelli's time at Manchester City
Share 22
inShare.0Email
Daniel Taylor
The Guardian, Thursday 3 January 2013 20.39 GMT Jump to comments (165)
Roberto Mancini has frequently stuck up for Mario Balotelli in the past. Photograph: Alex Livesey/Getty Images
There are many, inevitably, who will wonder how the most financially endowed club on the planet can possibly get themselves in a position where every practice session is open to anyone with the gumption to find the pathway that runs alongside Manchester City's training ground.

Gary Neville made that very point after surveying the latest set of photographs to embarrass the Premier League champions. "I just don't get the lack of privacy," he observed. "They have to come up with a solution." Neville's old club, Manchester United, have their training ground a couple of fields away in the same village but Sir Alex Ferguson made sure during the design process that it should be impenetrable for any lurking cameramen. "Keep those fuckers from the media out," were the precise words. When the snappers realised there was a lone tree that could offer a vantage point, United had it cut down. No one gets pictures from that side of Carrington these days.

At City, they tried for a while to persuade the local council to help but it is not easy when it is a public right of way. When that got them nowhere, they put up several large white screens – but not, evidently, large enough. The photographers set up stepladders and, for their perseverance, have been rewarded more times over the past couple of years than City will want to remember. Mario Balotelli versus Jérôme Boateng, Emmanuel Adebayor versus Kolo Touré, then more of Balotelli, whether it be fronting up to Vincent Kompany, going nose to nose with Aleksandar Kolarov or rolling about on the floor with Micah Richards. And so on.

As for Balotelli versus Roberto Mancini, perhaps the most damning thing is that their own disagreements on the training ground have become such a frequent occurrence the photographers have found it difficult at times to shift the pictures. Finding a buyer is not an easy thing when it is the same story every time. More often than not, Fleet Street has just rolled its eyes with the sense of "oh, those two again".

The latest pictures, however, are the most damaging yet and the most embarrassing, too, now it has crossed the boundary from angry, heat-of-the-moment words into something physical. Mancini, in particular, appears to have lost the plot. The focus will be on Balotelli, the serial offender who had stayed too young too long and now appears to have brought his manager beyond the point of exasperation. Yet the pictures don't look too clever from Mancini's perspective. If anything, he is the main aggressor, grey with anger, taking a fistful of the player's bib. Balotelli is shepherded away in the end, either to prevent him from doing something stupid or, indeed, to stop Mancini doing likewise.

Every time this happens the response from City is the same: these things can happen on a training pitch. To a degree, it is true, too. We know, for example, about the time Ruud van Nistelrooy went for Cristiano Ronaldo on the United training ground. More recently, Nani lost his temper with a young reserve, Davide Petrucci – we just don't have the pictures. It is only City where this happens.

All the same, the training-ground walk of shame is threatening to become Balotelli's speciality more than the rasping shot, driving run or killer pass, and his employers could be forgiven if they are weary, to say the least, about the frequency with which he finds himself rubbing up against the world like sandpaper.

Perhaps it wouldn't matter so much if he were actually producing grown-up football rather than constantly bringing into disrepute Mancini's claim that he can be as prodigious on the football pitch as Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. But Balotelli plainly is not. He has scored one league goal all season, one in the Champions League and one in the Capital One Cup. Mancini has restricted him to the role of fourth-choice striker and spoken openly about not daring to include him in the big matches because of his capacity for losing his head. When Balotelli was risked, ahead of Carlos Tevez, in the Manchester derby his performance drew stinging condemnation from the manager. It is guesswork to a degree, but what happened in the drizzle at Carrington felt like it had wider origins beyond the flashpoint that brought it all to a head.

What we know for certain is that it started with a kick from Balotelli, aimed in the direction of Scott Sinclair. Mancini, who had been making up the numbers in a practice match, ordered Balotelli to go inside. Balotelli refused and this is the point when Mancini lost his temper properly, grabbed him and started trying to drag and push him off the pitch.

The background, however, is that tension has been building between manager and player for a long time now. It is there in every match Balotelli starts, with Mancini angrily gesturing his disgust and Balotelli seething with indignation, eyeballing him back before the inevitable substitution and grumpy straight-down-the-tunnel response. It is evident in every press conference when Mancini expresses that mix of frustration and anger and bewilderment and, more and more, foregoes any attempt to protect his player. Balotelli, he said recently, had all the talent but just could not be bothered to make the most of it. He was "throwing it all out of the window".

That alone is some statement even before we get to Balotelli's disciplinary record and his defiance and lack of self-awareness when City fined him two weeks' wages, £340,000, for missing so many games through suspension last season, disciplinary action that so aggrieved the striker he was on the brink of taking the club to a Premier League tribunal last month before backing down at the last minute.

The lesson of history, however, is that we should probably not rush into knee-jerk reactions about what this latest episode means for Balotelli's future. There will be a lot of discussion about it over the coming days but Mancini has shown several times before that he does not want to wash his hands of him, however many times he feels let down, angry and out of control. On Tuesday, speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, he said the club's owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, felt the same way and thought the good outweighed the bad. It feels, at times, like it has become a personal ambition of Mancini's that Balotelli simply cannot fail.

Others at City have tired of the sideshow and will admit the experiment has not worked out – Mancini has often been a lone voice among the coaching staff – and that it is probably a good time to sever ties, particularly now John Guidetti is coming to the end of his injury problems. Guidetti, a 20-year-old Swede, scored 20 goals and set up eight more during 23 games on loan at Feyenoord last season. Ronald Koeman, the Dutch club's manager and someone who knows a thing or two about good footballers, was impressed enough to predict Guidetti could be as good one day as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, a player he managed at Ajax.

Back in Manchester, Mancini has a press conference on Friday when the majority of questions will be about Mario, as they so often are. There is, however, a flicker of good news on the horizon for City and – if he's still here – the player in question. The team move into a new training complex close to the City of Manchester stadium in two years. Photographers not welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am 

one comment on that article stands out
Quote:
teabagging
04 January 2013 4:03 AMLink to this comment
Copy the link:

Recommend22I feel sorry for Balotelli.

It's Mancini who's the lunatic.

Balotelli is simply a wayward man-child, he's no bad boy, there isn't a hint of malice in him. He has a sense of vulnerability about him, he desperately wants to please Mancini, but keeps getting mixed messages.

Mancini berates him all through a game, harassing him with instructions and tellings off throughout any game he plays in, harming his ability to simply relax and focus on the game. Mancini gesticulates wildly creating a scene for the whole world to spectate, over the smallest of infractions or mistakes in Balotelli's game, and frustration builds. Balotelli grows exasperated and begins to feel like nothing he does will please Mancini, and that harbours a sense of resentment and he begins to feel persecuted.

And Mancini substitutes him persistently, whether or not he plays well, choosing to publicly dress him down almost every time he plays.

Mancini also recognises the public circus around Balotelli and doesn't want to be perceived as indulging Balotelli, so he'll often be unnecessarily harsh on Balotelli for the benefit of proving a point, and demonstrating to other players Balotelli does not receive preferential treatment.

Mancini has a temper and he seems to be increasingly losing the plot this season, we've seen what Balotelli can do at Euro 2012 when he is trusted and given the responsibility to lead a team, his best games at City have been under those circumstances - the 6-1, the FA Cup semi and final, he delivers on the big occasions, he thrives on them and the responsibility that goes with them.

Mancini is just as culpable for Balotelli's tumultuous time at City as he himself is, particularly this season where I feel he's been unduly harsh on Balotelli.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
I guessing it will be something along the lines of; "Is normal".

not far off

Quote:
Mario Balotelli will face no action after clash with Roberto Mancini• Roberto Mancini plays down incident with striker
• 'It was nothing special,' says Mancini
Share 5
inShare.0Email Jamie Jackson
guardian.co.uk, Friday 4 January 2013 11.34 GMT
Man City manager Roberto Mancini and Mario Balotelli come into conflict at the end of training on Thursday. Source: Reuters Link to this video Roberto Mancini says he is prepared to give Mario Balotelli at least "one hundred chances" after the striker clashed with the manager during training(video) on Thursday.

Balotelli had refused to leaving the training pitch following a heavy tackle on a team-mate, Scott Sinclair, and

Mancini was pictured grabbing Balotelli's training bib to forcibly eject him.

However, the manager said today: "I will give him another one hundred chances if it is possible, I think that he can change because I am here for this. I give him other chances, for sure."

Mancini admitted he lost his temper for "one or two seconds" but played down the incident, and stated he had no regrets. "For two seconds yes [I lost my temper] because he didn't want to leave the pitch.

"It didn't happen like bad things in the paper. We were playing a game and Mario kicked his team-mate. I say to him: 'Go inside, leave the pitch.' He say: 'No." So I take his shirt and push him out.

"This is what really happened. Nothing special. No fight, no this not true. The pictures are false."

This is the latest in a catalogue of incidents involving Balotelli. Two weeks ago he called off taking the club to a Premier League tribunal and accepted a two-week fine for indiscipline, yet Mancini is insistent the striker still has a future at City, with no plan to sell him in the current window. "No, no [this] doesn't change anything," he said.

When asked if Balotelli, who has been suffering from a virus, could start against Watford tomorrow, Mancini said: "No, he trained only four times this week. Not in the starting line-up, maybe on the bench.

"I spoke with Mario yesterday after training, I speak with him always. It is not easy to manage him and we can talk about him, but my thoughts about him don't change."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 pm 

he will play tomorrow and he will score

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:03 pm 

cue another "why always me" shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:

As the resident Blue I was asked about the incident this morning and I said roughly the same. Bobby will play him tomorrow.

All it has generated is an easy day for the press.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:38 pm 

Apparently on the bench but he will come on and score.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 am 

Almost right

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm 

Quote:
Mario Balotelli is worth the trouble, says Watford's Gianfranco Zola• Zola worked with Manchester City striker at Italy Under-21s
• Balotelli created City's last goal for Marcos Lopes
Share 11
inShare.0Email Observer report
Guardian report
Match facts
Ratings
.FA Cup
Manchester City 3 Tévez 24, Barry 44, Marcos Lopes 90+1
Watford 0
Paul Wilson at Etihad Stadium
The Guardian, Sunday 6 January 2013 23.00 GMT
Watford's Gianfranco Zola, left, jokes with Manchester City's Roberto Mancini, centre, and Mario Balotelli during the FA Cup clash. Photograph: Matthew Ashton/AMA
If pictures speak louder than words, as Manchester City and their easily accessible training ground keep finding out, it is also true that bad news travels round the world faster than good. Roberto Mancini did his best to suggest there was no rift or ill-feeling between Mario Balotelli and Scott Sinclair by using the pair as late substitutes in the comfortable FA Cup win over Watford, but the photograph that could theoretically undo all the negative publicity of the previous week was of three smiling Italians.

When Balotelli took the field he shared a joke with Gianfranco Zola, as Mancini looked on approvingly. The Watford manager even went on to publicly stick up for Balotelli, claiming his obvious potential made him worth all the trouble, and admitting that he retains an affection for the sometimes wayward striker from briefly working with him within Italy's Under-21 set up.

If Zola feels that way then clearly Mancini is not as far out on a limb with Balotelli as it has become usual to suggest. The universally popular former Chelsea striker has few enemies in the game and no axes to grind, so when he praises Balotelli it ought to encourage others to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"I just hope he is able to shine, to do what he is capable of doing," Zola said. "He caused us problems as soon as he came on. You can see all the potential he has, he just needs to make sure he masters all that potential. I care about him and hope he pulls through everything."

Balotelli's major contribution to helping pull City through to the fourth round lay in producing a shot in stoppage time that Jonathan Bond could only parry, allowing the 17-year-old debutant Marcos Lopes to score the third goal of the afternoon after being on the pitch for five minutes. Zola felt that gave the scoreline a flattering gloss that City did not really deserve, though Watford were never all that competitive.

The home side were able to see out a dull second half on economy setting after scoring two goals in the first period to settle the tie. Carlos Tevez's unstoppable free-kick midway through the first half was followed by the real killer blow, a Gareth Barry header on the stroke of the interval after James Milner had switched from the right wing to the left and finally put in a telling cross.

Zola was on firmer ground in acknowledging that Watford could have made more of a game of it by taking their chances. In a game where City enjoyed by far the most possession and spent long periods laying siege to the Watford goalmouth, the Championship side managed to create the two clearest opportunities of the afternoon, and missed them both.

Immediately after going behind Fernando Forestieri sprang City's offside trap but lacked the confidence to beat Costel Pantilimon, and when Troy Deeney did the same thing at the start of the second half a heavy touch made a present of the ball to the goalkeeper. "It wasn't our usual standard of finishing," Zola said.

Without the hamstring victim Sergio Agüero, City's was not great either. Edin Dzeko had a quiet game before making way for Balotelli, who in turn missed a good chance set up by David Silva before producing the shot that led to the third goal.

Club historians believe Lopes, Brazilian born but eligible for Portugal, could be one of City's youngest ever scorers. With a goal to his name after a mere five minutes of professional football, he is certainly one of the quickest off the mark.

Man of the match James Milner (Manchester City)
and

Quote:
Carlos Tevez warns Mario Balotelli to learn from his mistakes• Striker keen to help Italian through Manchester City troubles
• 'I'll talk to him personally. I've been in that moment like him'
Share 0
inShare.0Email Press Association guardian.co.uk, Monday 7 January 2013 11.56 GMT
Carlos Tevez replaces Mario Balotelli during last month's Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium. Photograph: Michael Mayhew/Sportsphoto/Sportsphoto Ltd./Allstar
Carlos Tevez has told Manchester City team-mate Mario Balotelli not to make the same mistakes he did.

Balotelli, 22, was pictured last week in a physical confrontation with manager Roberto Mancini in what was the latest chapter of a controversial and incident-packed spell at the club for the Italian .

Tevez is no stranger to controversy himself having been out of the City side for a long spell last season after refusing to warm up during a Champions League match against Bayern Munich. The 28-year-old, who eventually returned to the City side to win a Premier League winner's medal last term, said: "I try to help Mario. I'll talk to him personally. I've been in that moment like him.

"I'm always keen to help him and keep him going through these kind of moments, so he doesn't make the same mistakes that I did in the past."

Tevez did not feel the training-ground incident with Mancini, which was sparked by a tackle from Balotelli on Scott Sinclair, was a big deal. He said: "There are these kind of things that have happened at all the clubs I've been, but here at City the spotlight is always on us, as it is always on Roberto and Mario. So here it always comes out – but this kind of thing happens everywhere."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am 

rumours of a £31m pricetag and negotiations with AC Milan
plus -
Quote:
Blog home Premier League: Ten talking points from this weekend's actionBalotelli may be heading for an anonymous exit, Chamakh showed promise while Wenger gets all psychological
Share 10
inShare.0Email 1) Balotelli's last act
Among the seven Manchester City substitutes for Fulham's visit was Mario Balotelli. As his side overcame their poor opponents 2-0, he was spied having a trot down the touchline to keep warm and sharing a joke with Aleksandar Kolarov on the bench. But he never got on. Balotelli's turbulent world means the future constantly shifts but with this week potentially ending his City career with a move to Milan, the last act of a man who created the Sergio Agüero winner that claimed the club's first championship for 44 years may have been to walk away anonymously down the tunnel at the Etihad Stadium without any kind of goodbye. Jamie Jackson

:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am 

I heard Milan are asking us to lower that valuation. If we can get what we paid for him I'd consider it a good bit of business TBH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 80  Next