Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm 

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2011/September/Silva-picks-up-prestigious-award

Quote:
David Silva has been voted the Barclays Player of the Month for September.

The Spanish play-maker has made a stunning start to the new season and his efforts have been deservedoly recognised by the Premier League sponsors.

Silva's award makes it a City double after Edin Dzeko won the same accolade for August following his goal-scoring exploits in the first month of the campaign.

Silva is also up for the Club's Etihad Player of the Month award, too and capped a fine week by being named in the Spain squad to face the Czech Republic and Scotland next week.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:28 pm 

Just beat me to it you bastard!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:19 pm 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
Not much of a contest...(watching city since '79) but I'd say he's probably the best player ive seen in a city shirt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:42 pm 

I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat after awful nightmares about the teams that will want to tempt him away from us. Real M and Barca come to mind.

I know that it wont happen anytime in the next few years though. Hopefully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:50 pm 

always a fear but what can you do? if we're winning stuff, it delays his want to leave. I hope he never wants to go. amazing player.

that said, fuck we have a magic team right now. have you seen the quality of our side right now?

fuck.

:eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:06 pm 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
Not much of a contest...(watching city since '79) but I'd say he's probably the best player ive seen in a city shirt

You never saw lee then...:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 pm 

Fuck he just gets better and better, the passes the vision, just a fucking joy to watch ,thank the lord he wears a city shirt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:39 pm 

interminan wrote:
Fuck he just gets better and better, the passes the vision, just a fucking joy to watch ,thank the lord he wears a city shirt

The control and pass for edin and the 6th, i just spaffed in my undies..
sublime..:approve:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 am 

Said to my (rag) mate last season: Silva will sweep the board for awards next season. Just wish I'd put money on it. Not even November and looks a shoe in for Football Writer's, PFA awards etc

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 am 

They were likening him as a Spanish Messi last week after he tore apart Scotland. It was good as he wasnt getting the recognition he deserved the last year or so being away from Spain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 am 

can the sheikh not start a cloning company and clone him straight away!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 am 

Didn´t the "experts" say that he wasn´t build for EPL? How wrong are they in a scale 1-100000000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:50 am 

If Modric is worth £40m then Silva's got to be worth double that.

List people I would swap David Silva for:

1. Lionel Messi.

That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 am 

I'd definetly value him up in the ranks of Messi. Just his ability to keep the ball is simply brilliant. Then his passing, creativity and even goalscoring and pace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:52 pm 

Silva, assuming he stays a reasonable amount of time and keeps his form (which he will because it's such a natural talent), will be remembered as City's best ever player. Pretty confident of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:08 pm 

He also seems to be a model player also!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 pm 

Barna Azul wrote:
He also seems to be a model player also!

Well he is quite small

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 am 

Don't even remember hearing about him before City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 am 

David Silva the shining light as Manchester City escape United shadowThe Spaniard's performance at Old Trafford demonstrated that City's born No10 can enhance a team in the way that Cantona did before him

reddit this Comments (164)

David Silva has been the architect behind many of the best things about Manchester City this season. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
The skill of seeing a football pitch as a field of endless angles rather than a north-to-south battlefield is beautifully expressed by David Silva, the star of Manchester City's astonishing 6-1 win at Old Trafford. Comfortably the player of the season so far, Silva has transformed Roberto Mancini's team from powerful to pretty, from mechanical to sometimes majestic.

If one contribution affirmed his right to be classified as a world-class free thinker, it was the pirouette and round-the-corner pass in the United penalty box that set up James Milner to cross for Mario Balotelli's second goal 60 minutes into Sunday's demolition. On replay, you see Silva abandoning the game's normal linear tendencies and turning backwards to bamboozle the defender with a ball that was impossible to anticipate.

The club of modern footballers whose passing can be described as unplayable is regrettably small. Its members tend not to be large either. In Spain, Silva shares a brotherhood with Xavi, Cesc Fábregas and Andrés Iniesta and is fighting hard for a starting place with the world and European champions. At City he is two things: a solo artist and the player who has brought the rest of the band to life.

Arriving here last year he looked destined for a firefly role on the wing but soon it was obvious that he was a born No10, a lock-picker who could be trusted to take up his own position anywhere in the forward areas. Top-level football could reasonably be divided into teams who possess this kind of player and those who desperately want one. They bring fluidity and that rare element of surprise as lesser team-mates learn to feed off them.

"Merlin", as Shaun Wright-Phillips called him, is now 38 league games into his City career: a whole personal season, book-ended by his man-of-the-match display at Old Trafford. At £24m from Valencia in July 2010, he cost £2m less than Milner: a good, committed English player who would tie his brain in knots if he tried some of Silva's subtlest moves.

With his new love of apple porridge, and the comfort of Samir Nasri and Sergio Agüero to spark off, Silva has subverted the rule that says the gifted foreign player must "adapt to our ways" or perish. Instead he has made the Premier League adapt to him, promoting artistry, and forcing United once again to confront the lack of a similarly gifted trequartista in their own ranks.

Silva is not without help. The back of City's team is now reassuringly tight, even with rotating full-backs. In front of the back five, Gareth Barry, Nigel de Jong and Yaya Touré provide the central platform on which Agüero, Silva, Balotelli and Nasri can improvise. Oddly this exotic mix looks better suited to Premier League domination than success in Europe. City's Champions League form has been unconvincing but they passed their first big test domestically with a 6-1 victory and rave reviews.

"I remember when I first saw him playing for Valencia against Inter in the Champions League. He was only young then but you could see his potential. He was astonishing," Mancini said before the Villarreal game in midweek. "He has improved a lot in the last two years and now he is one of the best players in Europe, if not the world. He could play for Real Madrid or Barcelona, but I am glad to say he plays for Manchester City."

Last season he was a fans' firm favourite, winning player of the month awards from October to December. Carlos Tevez called him "the best signing we've made". Like many of his Spanish contemporaries he comes over as a no-fuss kind of pro with no interest in squad politics. The feeling is that Spain have persuaded a generation of footballers that devotion to their art is the point of life. The pleasure is in the execution. On United's turf, you could see Silva's whole being concentrate on the killer pass to Edin Dzeko for his second, City's sixth.

"For David Silva it is easy to play football. Everything is easy for him," Mancini says. This is a manager tossing a sardine to the gulls. Silva's art is easy only in so far as he knows he has an asset few possess. He sees not the congestion but the opening, the space. Another precious attribute is to be able to slow the brain down to think at his own speed rather than the crazy pace of the game around him.

These diminutive game-changers are in the ascendancy again, thanks mainly to Spanish football and Lionel Messi, obviously. For all their Messianic corporate strategies, City made their great leap forward by buying an artiste out of Spain's reserves, and from a club (Valencia) outside the big two of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

As United found with Eric Cantona, the Eureka-acquisition lights up the whole team and not just the space he occupies. It liberates lesser players and reassures them with the knowledge that there is a higher talent in their midst that will rescue them from trouble on bad days. Silva is City's chain reaction.

i remember hearing that the rags were trying to sign him a year or two before us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 am 

Cantona isn't fit to act as a footstand while someone more worthy laces David Silva's boots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next