Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm 

see there's no unsuspecting non mods to get on secs back and chirrup about what he may have posted. its like farting into the wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 pm 

Daaavid
The silver lining
He's a magician
Man mark him
Then he goes .......

"Catch me if you can"
dam da ram dam da ram dum dum dum
"Catch me if you can"
dam da ram dam da ram dum dum dum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 am 

Manchester City's David Silva believes his team's lack of title experience is no bar to winning the Premier League.

David Silva made his Manchester City debut at Tottenham, in the opening game of last season, and it is fair to say neither he nor the occasion was received propitiously. The diminutive Spain forward looked lost in a front line featuring Carlos Tevez and Shaun Wright-Phillips that seemed too short in stature to bother English defences, and though City held on to the ball well enough and moved it around through midfield, the game was ultimately as unmemorable as the 0-0 scoreline suggests.

Fast forward 18 months and City, Tottenham and Silva have all made giant strides, and consequently found their recent meetings much more meaningful. Their game at the end of last season was instrumental in securing City a Champions League place, and when the sides met at White Hart Lane at the start of this season a remarkable 5-1 home defeat was the first of a spate of autumn high scores. It was a setback that Spurs did well to put behind them and rebuild their campaign so convincingly that they go into Sunday's game in third place as London's leading club, but it also alerted the world to the destructive ability now at City's disposal.

Silva did not score in that game, though he found the target in matches around it, including the even more famous 6-1 victory at Manchester United. So does he not find it strange, having stuck a total of 11 goals past United and Spurs on their own grounds, that the same two clubs are still City's closest rivals, and still in touch with the title race?

"Sometimes you get matches like that with scorelines like that," he says. "It's not the norm but it can happen. I don't think any of us thought that United or Spurs would drop out of contention because of those results, because that's not what English football is like. That's why the Premier League would be such a great league to win. I would regard it as an honour on a level with winning the World Cup or the European Championship with Spain.

"The big difference between league football in England and Spain is that more teams compete here. In Spain it is usually only two teams going for the title, which is not necessarily a bad thing because you get great matches between the two, but I think the English league is better for being more competitive."

A commonly held view in England, because football in Spain is so obviously dominated by Barcelona and Real Madrid, is that any player native to the country must aspire to playing for one club or the other, or otherwise judge himself a failure. Silva, who has managed to advance his Spain career since moving from Valencia to play overseas, does not see it quite like that. "Of course El Clásico is a great night, but I don't have an overwhelming desire to play in that game. I am happy playing in England at the moment and there are some pretty big games within the Premier League. Already you can see that City v United games are more interesting than they used to be, because there is so much more at stake. Maybe they are not at the level of Barcelona-Real Madrid yet, but they are moving towards it and they are becoming bigger occasions."

At 26, Silva will presumably get the opportunity to return to Spain at some stage if he so wishes, though his manager hopes that will not be for some time. "He enjoys English football, I would like him to stay for at least another three or four years," Roberto Mancini says.

"Your own country's football always seems the best – for me, it is Italy and for David it will be Spain – but that is for the future, I hope. Not now."

Mancini has been on Silva's case since seeing him playing for Valencia in the Champions League at the age of 19. "He played a fantastic game, incredible," he recalls. "He was just a kid but you could see he could play. I tried to sign him for Inter but Valencia wouldn't sell, so I was very happy when I got the chance to bring him to Manchester City.

"For me, he is now one of the best players in the world, on a level with Xavi and [Andrés] Iniesta. He has improved in his time in England as well, even people in Spain say so. After three or four months he understood what he had to do to succeed in English football: he needed to work hard and grow stronger on the pitch, and that is what he has done. That is what has made him better. He is still like a magician with the ball but now you can't knock him off it so easily."

Silva has not managed to grow in physical stature, he is still barely 5ft 7in, though one hears a lot more about his chances of being voted player of the year these days than concerns that he might be too small. "I've changed a lot since I came to England," he admits.

"I wasn't 100% physically fit when I first arrived, but I am in much better shape now. I am not tired, either, as some people have been saying. I had an ankle problem recently that took a while to clear up, but I feel as fit as I have ever done. I am not too worried about not scoring many goals as long as someone else is. You get patches within a season when the goals come, and some when they don't, but as long as you feel you are playing well it's not a major problem."

Not only does Silva believe City are playing well, despite their recent dip in cup competitions, he feels it is a view acknowledged from abroad. "Naturally I talk to people from Spain a lot," he says. "There's no doubt that City are being watched more than they used to be. People can see the club is going places. We have bigger players, bigger ambitions and we are competing for more trophies.

"We are on top of the league because of our results, because of the way we have played this season. It was a shame to go out of the Champions League, but not many teams who win 10 points do not make it to the later stages, so there is no reason to feel we have done badly. A lot of this growth has happened in a short time, and I am happy to be a part of it. We may not yet have the experience that other clubs have in terms of winning the league, but never having won it makes us more ambitious, and I'm sure that's true of Tottenham as well. Strange as it may seem, I don't think we are under enormous pressure, because we are the ones on top of the table. The pressure is on those chasing us. As long as we can stay at the front we don't have to worry about that."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 pm 

Magician David Silva makes Manchester City walk tall
The Spain forward has added toughness to his game and believes the world has taken notice of his club's rise

reddit this

Paul Wilson
The Observer, Sunday 22 January 2012
Article history

Manchester City's David Silva believes his team's lack of title experience is no bar to winning the Premier League. Photograph: Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images
David Silva made his Manchester City debut at Tottenham, in the opening game of last season, and it is fair to say neither he nor the occasion was received propitiously. The diminutive Spain forward looked lost in a front line featuring Carlos Tevez and Shaun Wright-Phillips that seemed too short in stature to bother English defences, and though City held on to the ball well enough and moved it around through midfield, the game was ultimately as unmemorable as the 0-0 scoreline suggests.

Fast forward 18 months and City, Tottenham and Silva have all made giant strides, and consequently found their recent meetings much more meaningful. Their game at the end of last season was instrumental in securing City a Champions League place, and when the sides met at White Hart Lane at the start of this season a remarkable 5-1 home defeat was the first of a spate of autumn high scores. It was a setback that Spurs did well to put behind them and rebuild their campaign so convincingly that they go into Sunday's game in third place as London's leading club, but it also alerted the world to the destructive ability now at City's disposal.

Silva did not score in that game, though he found the target in matches around it, including the even more famous 6-1 victory at Manchester United. So does he not find it strange, having stuck a total of 11 goals past United and Spurs on their own grounds, that the same two clubs are still City's closest rivals, and still in touch with the title race?

"Sometimes you get matches like that with scorelines like that," he says. "It's not the norm but it can happen. I don't think any of us thought that United or Spurs would drop out of contention because of those results, because that's not what English football is like. That's why the Premier League would be such a great league to win. I would regard it as an honour on a level with winning the World Cup or the European Championship with Spain.

"The big difference between league football in England and Spain is that more teams compete here. In Spain it is usually only two teams going for the title, which is not necessarily a bad thing because you get great matches between the two, but I think the English league is better for being more competitive."

A commonly held view in England, because football in Spain is so obviously dominated by Barcelona and Real Madrid, is that any player native to the country must aspire to playing for one club or the other, or otherwise judge himself a failure. Silva, who has managed to advance his Spain career since moving from Valencia to play overseas, does not see it quite like that. "Of course El Clásico is a great night, but I don't have an overwhelming desire to play in that game. I am happy playing in England at the moment and there are some pretty big games within the Premier League. Already you can see that City v United games are more interesting than they used to be, because there is so much more at stake. Maybe they are not at the level of Barcelona-Real Madrid yet, but they are moving towards it and they are becoming bigger occasions."

At 26, Silva will presumably get the opportunity to return to Spain at some stage if he so wishes, though his manager hopes that will not be for some time. "He enjoys English football, I would like him to stay for at least another three or four years," Roberto Mancini says.

"Your own country's football always seems the best – for me, it is Italy and for David it will be Spain – but that is for the future, I hope. Not now."

Mancini has been on Silva's case since seeing him playing for Valencia in the Champions League at the age of 19. "He played a fantastic game, incredible," he recalls. "He was just a kid but you could see he could play. I tried to sign him for Inter but Valencia wouldn't sell, so I was very happy when I got the chance to bring him to Manchester City.

"For me, he is now one of the best players in the world, on a level with Xavi and [Andrés] Iniesta. He has improved in his time in England as well, even people in Spain say so. After three or four months he understood what he had to do to succeed in English football: he needed to work hard and grow stronger on the pitch, and that is what he has done. That is what has made him better. He is still like a magician with the ball but now you can't knock him off it so easily."

Silva has not managed to grow in physical stature, he is still barely 5ft 7in, though one hears a lot more about his chances of being voted player of the year these days than concerns that he might be too small. "I've changed a lot since I came to England," he admits.

"I wasn't 100% physically fit when I first arrived, but I am in much better shape now. I am not tired, either, as some people have been saying. I had an ankle problem recently that took a while to clear up, but I feel as fit as I have ever done. I am not too worried about not scoring many goals as long as someone else is. You get patches within a season when the goals come, and some when they don't, but as long as you feel you are playing well it's not a major problem."

Not only does Silva believe City are playing well, despite their recent dip in cup competitions, he feels it is a view acknowledged from abroad. "Naturally I talk to people from Spain a lot," he says. "There's no doubt that City are being watched more than they used to be. People can see the club is going places. We have bigger players, bigger ambitions and we are competing for more trophies.

"We are on top of the league because of our results, because of the way we have played this season. It was a shame to go out of the Champions League, but not many teams who win 10 points do not make it to the later stages, so there is no reason to feel we have done badly. A lot of this growth has happened in a short time, and I am happy to be a part of it. We may not yet have the experience that other clubs have in terms of winning the league, but never having won it makes us more ambitious, and I'm sure that's true of Tottenham as well. Strange as it may seem, I don't think we are under enormous pressure, because we are the ones on top of the table. The pressure is on those chasing us. As long as we can stay at the front we don't have to worry about that."

Post subject: Re: David Silva
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:45 pm 

I still get hard when i remember hes assist to Dzeko in the Inter game (pre saison in dublin) ..i don t know who else could play a pass like that...besides Cleverley of course.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
The Spain forward has added toughness to his game and believes the world has taken notice of his club's rise

so good it needed posting twice? like literally immediately after someone else had posted it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm 

balky wrote:
I still get hard when i remember hes assist to Dzeko in the Inter game (pre saison in dublin) ..i don t know who else could play a pass like that...besides Cleverley of course.

Who...?

You don't mean that little red bastard .... :confused:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 pm 

Silvas Pass to Dzeko in the U*d game, boy oh boy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
balky wrote:

Who...?

just kidding mate :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:46 pm 

balky wrote:
kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
balky wrote:

Who...?

just kidding mate :cool:

i thought it was pretty funny! plays a couple of decent games for the rags and all of a sudden hes englands next saviour.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:49 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
i thought it was pretty funny! plays a couple of decent games for the rags and all of a sudden hes englands next saviour.

Ikr Cleverly > Messi :D

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

so good it needed posting twice? like literally immediately after someone else had posted it?

hadn't noticed it was the same tbh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:15 pm 

Yes please,.........

Manchester City will begin new contract talks with David Silva next month – and are ready to make him the fourth £200,000-a-week player at the club, Goal.com can reveal.

City officials want to tie the Spaniard down to a new four-year deal before he joins up with the Spain squad at the end of the season to begin preparing for Euro 2012.
Don't Miss

Silva’s current contract expires in 2014 and it is understood that City will sit down with the player and his advisers in April to discuss a two-year extension that will keep him at Etihad Stadium until 2016.

The early indications from informal discussions held between the club and Silva are that the player is keen to extend his agreement and talks are expected to progress smoothly.

The playmaker’s pay will leap from its present £140,000 mark to elevate him alongside Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez in the top bracket of City earners.

City recognise how important it is to hold on to the 26-year-old, who has blossomed into one of the outstanding players in the Premier League during his second season in England.

Silva is one of the frontrunners to win the PFA player of the year gong for a campaign in which his combined total of 19 goals and assists in league competition is bettered only by Robin van Persie, Aguero, Emmanuel Adebayor and Wayne Rooney.

Speaking earlier this week, Silva said he was settled in England and praised manager Roberto Mancini for giving him an integral role in the team.

"I am very happy in England, I have two years left on my contract and I want to see it out,” Silva said.

"Right now, I do not want to return [to Spain], I am enjoying life in England, people treat me wonderfully and I want to continue enjoying this.

"Mancini has complete trust in me, which is very important for a player and I am very happy. My team-mates are adapting well to my game and that is very good for me."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:17 pm 

Whatever you want. Name it David.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm 

The Manchester City playmaker, plagued for the past four years by a problematic left ankle, is an advocate of Michael Jordan’s oft-repeated assertion that ‘there is no ‘I’ in team,’ but he is now talking about himself and the sacrifice he is making for the good of his club.

“This ankle,” Silva says. “It is something that I have had problems with for years and years. Every day, I have to look after it. It’s not 100 per cent, but I just have to look after it.

“Playing all of these games in England is hard, so it impossible, totally impossible, to be completely 100 per cent all the time.

“When I was at Valencia, I had an operation on it shortly after Euro 2008. For some reason, I always seem to get knocks and problems in the same area. But all you can do is try to be fit enough to play as often as possible. It is draining, but the important thing is to focus on the end of the season and winning the Premier League.

“After so many years as a professional footballer, you realise that it’s all about the team.” Team first, individual second.
In an age when many of his contemporaries adhere to a wholly different ethos – some of them have shared a City dressing room with him since his arrival from Valencia in July 2010 – Silva’s apparent willingness to play through the pain barrier for his team is admirable.

Silva, whose mercurial talents have earned him the nickname ‘Merlin’ from his City team-mates, is not the shining ray of light off the pitch that he is on it, however.

He comes across as an awkward blend of Paul Scholes and Liam Gallagher. On the one hand, totally dedicated and focused on training, playing and resting, yet also moody, exasperated and weary of the demands that accompany life at the sharp end of his profession.

Silva has now been in England for 18 months, but he admits that the heavy workload placed on footballers in this country has contributed to his inability to fully grasp the English language.

“I only did three months [of English lessons],” Silva said, speaking through a translator, “I had to stop because there are just too many matches.

“In terms of the day-to-day, I understand the language. In the changing room, I speak English because all of my team-mates speak this way. But it’s different when you do an interview. That can be quite daunting, so it feels more comfortable to speak in Spanish.

“The important thing is to understand your team-mates, though, and have a good relationship with them. I am at that stage already — the rest will come.

“But yes, it’s difficult to adapt to the weather and lifestyle here, but as a professional, it’s something that you just have to do.”

Attempting to understand the real David Silva is a challenge. As he speaks, there is a poster nearby of the 26 year-old on Gran Canaria’s Maspalomas Beach, arms outstretched, eyes closed, smiling and content.

Yet when it comes to football, the day job, he appears happy to live behind a façade of indifference, content to adopt a low profile and avoid the spotlight at all costs.

His performances for City this season have ensured his status as the kingpin of Mancini’s team. Silva is the key that unlocks doors for the likes of Sergio Agüero, Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko and City are not quite the same without him.

Silva might be amassing a healthy collection of votes for the Footballer of the Year award, but the truth is, he could not care less.

He said he is “really not bothered” by the award, adding: “All I want to do is win the Premier League and Europa League — I don’t stop to think about being named as the Player of the Year. It’s not something that interests me.

“I love compliments, of course I do. Everybody wants to receive compliments. But the team is the important thing and I’d rather win things as a team than finish up with individual honours.

“This is a great team with great players, so I don’t feel there is extra pressure on me to make the difference or be the difference.

“Any player could solve a problem, at any stage in the next three months, so I don’t believe that it is only me who can decide the title for City.”

Although he positions himself as City’s reluctant hero, as a World Cup winner and European champion with Spain, Silva cannot escape the onus on him to help guide the team through the nerves and tension of the title run-in.

Silva knows how to win and what it means to win. As a club, City aspire to the same glorious heights scaled by their star player, but to achieve that, they must first overcome institutions who regard success as second nature.

Domestically, Manchester United remain the biggest hurdle to success in the Premier League this season, while the twin Goliaths of Real Madrid and Barcelona threaten to block City’s way in the Champions League in the coming years.

And Silva admits that City’s task is made all the more difficult by the seasoned experience of their rivals.

“There is definitely a difference when you are fighting for a title against clubs like United or Real Madrid or Barcelona,” Silva said. “They are so used to winning, it means that you have to have a different frame of mind when you challenge them because that’s the only way to overcome them.

“You know that, the minute that you make a mistake, they will kill the game or take advantage of any slip. So you do feel different when you play against them or are in a title race with them.

“But winning big trophies gives you self-confidence and belief that you can do it again. It teaches you not to be afraid and to have faith that you can win. That is what happened with Spain after winning Euro 2008.

“City, as a club, is getting that mentality now. Winning the FA Cup last year has made everyone think, ‘Actually, we can win things.’

“So now, we are saying, ‘Let’s go and win it,’ because we proved to ourselves that we could do this last year.” Adding a Premier League winner’s medal to his stellar honours list would leave Silva with only Europe left to conquer.

But will he search for the final piece of the jigsaw with City or, at 26, is there a temptation to return to Spain to embellish his CV with a move to Madrid or Barcelona?

Mancini said on Friday that he is keen to offer him a new deal but Silva remains guarded. “I’ve got two more years left on my contract here,” he said. “I’m very happy and I am going to see them through.

“After that, who knows? Football is a changeable game, from one day to another, everything could change.

“I only see myself at the moment as where I am and that is at City.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:10 pm 

Is it just me, or has his form dipped quite a bit recently?

Not sure if its tiredness, marking closer or what.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 pm 

A victim of his own success. If he was a new signing we'd be raving about the way he's played the past few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:58 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
A victim of his own success. If he was a new signing we'd be raving about the way he's played the past few weeks.

he cannot be the main man every single game. I know that he has not been up to his usual standards as of late, but this is why we have nasri/pizarro/tevez.

We have to learn not to rely on silva too much. Young tender david will be fine. give him an inch of space when facing the opponents back four, and would anyone here doubt him to play through a pass that would split open any teams defense?
Id reckon we will need him more than ever against stoke, these bastards will be so difficult to break down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm 

I can't understand what is happening to Silva. Though he is improving, slowly, his passes are still not what they were 6 moths ago. Thank goodness that Mancini put Yaya after taking Silva and and immediately the team started going forward again. 'Come On Silva, not long to go!!!!'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm 

Silva hails Bobby....
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ma ... 96017.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next