Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:47 pm 

Good article apart from saying we signed him in 2009...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:49 pm 

grauniad typo innit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 pm 

That's in the Mail story also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 pm 

his wiki article is pretty detailed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Silva

why didn't they use that?

retard journalists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:59 am 

Everton's Jack Rodwell was dogged but he could not stop David SilvaThe Everton midfielder followed the Manchester city star with discipline and diligence but could not contain him for 90 minutes

Tweet this

reddit this Comments (74)

David Pleat The Guardian, Monday 26 September 2011 Article history
With Jack Rodwell man-marking David Silva, and the Spanish international drifting inside, it left room for Micah Richards to get forward and attack. Photograph: Graphic

A defensive gameplan designed to stifle Manchester City's creator in chief, David Silva, imploded in the 68th minute when Mario Balotelli broke the deadlock of Everton's disciplined resistance. The highly rated Jack Rodwell was given the task of shadowing the roaming Spain forward whose clever passing skills are the catalyst for most of City's goal chances. It was a clever idea and David Moyes's men almost succeeded.

Man-marking is a rarely used strategy in the modern game. In the past, great players have been allocated shadows to mark them tightly who are instructed not to worry about contributing when their side gains possession. Arsenal's Peter Storey and Chelsea's Ron Harris were excellent in this role. During my days at Sheffield Wednesday I assigned Peter Atherton to man-mark Gianfranco Zola in one game at Stamford Bridge and he did a superb job against the brilliant Italian in a 2-2 draw.

However, for every upside of any designated plan there is a corresponding downside. The marker, Rodwell was discouraged from joining in when his team regained possession so, in effect when they had the ball, Everton were a man short. Also in this system the frontrunner, Tim Cahill, can get isolated when longer passes get swallowed up by powerful centre-backs, Joleon Lescott and Vincent Kompany, in a two-versus-one situation.

Moyes reverted to his tried and trusted troops to contain a buoyant City side, picking a five-man midfield with his valued lieutenant Phil Neville returning to anchor. In a niggly first half Everton thwarted City's approach play with strong tackling and admirable tactical discipline.

With Leon Osman having to play narrow to bolster central areas with Rodwell following Silva doggedly, Leighton Baines found early space to get forward when Silva vacated his right-side berth to hunt the ball. Later in the game Micah Richards, the Manchester City right-back, realised the opportunity to attack this space from wider positions and helped turned the game in City's favour.

Rodwell had followed Silva with discipline, concentration and diligence, particularly as he was under the threat of a yellow card. It takes self-control to man-mark in midfield areas for long periods without losing the plot – it is easy to forget the role and go in search of the ball.

Balotelli's deflected shot broke Moyes's gameplan and then we saw the mentality change. When Everton were forced eventually to release the shackling of Silva the Spaniard, without Rodwell's steadfast attention, put the ball into the Everton net but it was disallowed.

Further pain was suffered when Silva, again without his marker, provided James Milner with the chance to put further daylight between the teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:12 am 

The best way for Silva or anyone else to break the man marking is to go and stand by the last defender thus getting 2 markers. The original marker cannot leave the subject to his last defender and go else where because the last defender has other duties to do. Alternatively Silva should have run at the side of the ref all through the game, forgetting about the ball, till the marker runs into the ref(and he will at some point) thus freeing silva.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 pm 

My arsenal mate text me on Saturday 'Why is tevez not playing, Silva is shit'.

:rolleyes:

Idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:58 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

Idiot.

as sure as night follows day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:07 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

Idiot.

even the tabloids caught on to silva halfway through last season, how hasn't he come round to him yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm 

Gary Neville thinks David Silva is the best creative midfielder in the Premiership.

He's not wrong either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 pm 

Further to that SEC, I [SIZE="5"]LIKE[/SIZE] Neville as a commentator.

Yeh, that's right, that just happened. I think he speaks his mind and despite his onfield persona which is basically a bloke riddled with knobs, he speaks sense as a telleh commentator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:16 pm 

I watched QPR v Villa yesterday and I have to admit I was glad he was commentating instead of Ray "isn't everything and everyone absolutely marvelous" Wilkins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:20 pm 

I think he has been incredibly objective about all games/players whichever team is playing. He has been good.

You don't play that much football for a *gulp* great team for so long without learning shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Gary Neville thinks David Silva is the best creative midfielder in the Premiership.

He's not wrong either.

Danny's Studs wrote:
Further to that SEC, I [SIZE="5"]LIKE[/SIZE] Neville as a commentator.

Yeh, that's right, that just happened. I think he speaks his mind and despite his onfield persona which is basically a bloke riddled with knobs, he speaks sense as a telleh commentator.

South East Citizen wrote:
I watched QPR v Villa yesterday and I have to admit I was glad he was commentating instead of Ray "isn't everything and everyone absolutely marvelous" Wilkins.

Danny's Studs wrote:
I think he has been incredibly objective about all games/players whichever team is playing. He has been good.

You don't play that much football for a *gulp* great team for so long without learning shit.

I haven't seen him as a commentator yet. That being the case, I find these views astounding! I just cannot picture him being anything other than a complete tosser.

It must be wierd seeing him like this...........are you sure he hasn't been cloned or summat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 pm 

nope, he has actually been quite good. a commentator who has played at the top of the game for fucking ages, and only retired last season so he knows what it's all about in these days of modern floaty balls etc etc.

you would not believe it is the same rat faced little c nt that has had his name cursed from here to eternity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 pm 

Khabom wrote:
I haven't seen him as a commentator yet. That being the case, I find these views astounding! I just cannot picture him being anything other than a complete tosser.

It must be wierd seeing him like this...........are you sure he hasn't been cloned or summat?

Agreed mate, it really is! You will see. He is still quite nervous as well as this is his first TV gig, it;s funny to see. Also quite cool to hear a Manc accent on the roger nelly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 pm 

is he still doing the nervous leg twitch arm waving around thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm 

I just went looking on youtube. No help at all, 1st clip is titled "Get RAT-boy off sky" and then there's one of him fluffing his lines attempting to interview Mancini. He did look nervous..:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 pm 

Khabom wrote:
I just went looking on youtube. No help at all, 1st clip is titled "Get RAT-boy off sky" and then there's one of him fluffing his lines attempting to interview Mancini. He did look nervous..:D

That was really funny, when he said "I bet you never thought you'd be interviewed by Gary Neville", and there was a long, awkward pause that suggested Mancini was desperately trying to remember who the fuck Gary Neville was! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:16 pm 

i watched that with a rag friend...........nearly shit myself laughing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next