Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:03 pm 

It's not as if he's showing a lack of respect for Johnson anyway.

He's said he has everything to become a top class winger but, as he is still young and only had 3 seasons in the premiership, he needs to improve.

I don't see anything wrong with making his opinion public in this way, he's said similar things about Balotelli.......and look how Mario's responded.

I just hope Johnson doesn't develope an attitude like jcwilsn1, he'd be like Tevez without the talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm 

Khabom wrote:

I just hope Johnson doesn't develope an attitude like jcwilsn1, he'd be like Tevez without the talent.

Do I have a bad attitude? sorry about that.

I guess I don't know what's happening behind the curtains so I shouldn't make any negative claims about how Mancini is handling the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:49 pm 

Khabom wrote:

He's said he has everything to become a top class winger but, as he is still young and only had 3 seasons in the premiership, he needs to improve.

I don't see anything wrong with making his opinion public in this way, he's said similar things about Balotelli.......and look how Mario's responded.

What's wrong with Milner's attitude? He seems quite hard-working to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 pm 

didn't he throw a paddy at being subbed t'other week?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
didn't he throw a paddy at being subbed t'other week?

A lot of players throw a wobbler when subbed, I'd be more upset if they didn't. AJ has already spoken out about been part of a big squad and given his positive thoughts on that. It's easy for the press to make up stories when there's nothing to write about.

Milner did have a strop at the end of last season after been subbed but look at his form now, he's not exactly resting on his laurels, arguably MoM at the Swamp.

Bobby appears to be winning on all fronts at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about any of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:43 pm 

but but but

something must be about to go horribly fucking wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:03 pm 

but but but

^^^Thats the spirit GA - though I'm surprised at your optimism "must be about to go wrong.." indeed - it will most definitely go wrong, no ifs or buts about it.
The Tevez thing is only the start of it...the 6-1 another false dawn, wait and see...normality will be resumed soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:18 pm 

but but but

ThunderinScitters wrote:
^^^Thats the spirit GA - though I'm surprised at your optimism "must be about to go wrong.." indeed - it will most definitely go wrong, no ifs or buts about it.
The Tevez thing is only the start of it...the 6-1 another false dawn, wait and see...normality will be resumed soon...

NO, NNNOOOOOOO.....:(

golborneblue wrote:
A lot of players throw a wobbler when subbed, I'd be more upset if they didn't. AJ has already spoken out about been part of a big squad and given his positive thoughts on that. It's easy for the press to make up stories when there's nothing to write about.

Milner did have a strop at the end of last season after been subbed but look at his form now, he's not exactly resting on his laurels, arguably MoM at the Swamp.

Bobby appears to be winning on all fronts at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about any of it.

This. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:58 pm 

The 'Mancini doesn't value stuff is bollocks' imo. If Bobby didn't think AJ could do what he wants him to do, he'd have gone in the summer.

I think Mancini constanty tries to drum into AJ that he fan improve because Mancini likes him - he wants him to be the best player he can. He seems to manage players well (eg, Mario) - so if he deems this the best way to manage AJ then I would trust that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 pm 

I read it as Mancini trying to motivate AJ, also saying that he is the only player in our squad for that position kind of suggests he doesn't want to lose him. He definitely has massive potential, and a bright future, hopefully at City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 pm 

The other thing I took from RM's statement is that, as the only true winger on the team, there are going to be specific tactical roles for AJ to play. That means that there will be games the manager wants someone in that role, and games where he doesn't. That can also change during the course of the game. Oh, and "that role" involves both ends of the pitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 am 

From the Star:

Quote:
ADAM JOHNSON is the latest Manchester City star to have a bust-up with Roberto Mancini.

England winger Johnson was involved in a huge row with the Italian following Manchester City's Carling Cup win at Wolves in midweek.

Johnson was left seething in the wake of Mancini's critical comments about him after the Blues had triumphed 5-2 over Mick McCarthy's men.

Mancini refused to praise Johnson, despite him scoring a stunning goal and producing a man-of-the-match performance.

The no-nonsense Italian left Johnson spitting mad after insisting he must improve his all-round game if he wants to fulfil his potential.

Starsport understands Johnson was so upset he refused to get on the team bus afterwards and travel back to Manchester.

He only changed his mind and boarded the coach after being spoken to by club stewards and members of staff.

Revelations of another dressing-room row are the last thing Mancini needs following his high-profile bust up with rebel striker Carlos Tevez.

But Mancini has clashed with Johnson before and the duo have endured a frosty relationship since the player arrived at the Etihad Stadium in a £7m deal in 2010.

Johnson has become frustrated at not being able to hold down a regular place in Mancini’s starting line-up, despite becoming an England international under Fabio Capello.

He believes Mancini hasn’t given him a fair crack of the whip and criticises him too often, even if he performs well.
But Mancini has concerns about the 24-year-old’s attitude.

And he was left seething last season when Johnson was part of a group of players who attended a party in Scotland after a shock 2-1 defeat at Wolves.

Fuckin' 'ell..:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:23 am 

He's good and Mancini knows it. Thats why he keeps him at arms length. Mancini's being cruel to be kind. Johnson does have to improve, I think he has the potential to be one of the great English midfielders of all time. He just isn't quite there. The last thing anybody wants is Johnson thinking it's OK to play how he does now. He must be better. Similar thing with Balotelli really (Johnson just isn't so big headed and eccentric).

The fact that Mancini thinks Johnson can improve is a massive compliment. Especially considering how good he is now. It's a shame City (or another major club) didn't buy him younger, going on loan abroad would have done him wonders in just absorbing some of their culture and flair. He's too old for all that now, he just needs to get on with it.

In terms of his place in the team he should be chuffed. He's competing with Nasri and Silva for a place, probally two of the best players in their positions on the planet. Patience Johnson, it will slot together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 am 

Mancini is probably trying to keep AJ's ego in check, before it gets too big for him. Roberto will work it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Mancini is probably trying to keep AJ's ego in check, before it gets too big for him. Roberto will work it out.

Yup. In Roberto we trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm 

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Mourinho once criticised Joe Cole for being out of position when he scored a goal for Chelsea. Over the next couple of seasons, he turned into one of the best creative midfielders in the league.

This.

AJ needs to belt up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 pm 

Should take a leaf out of Gareth Barry's book IMO

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 pm 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:

Ha! Barry is the ultimate pro. No moaning, does his job then goes home. Even when he was (allegedly) shagging around it was all kept nice and quiet...dignified even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:58 pm 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:

or milner's....

and sign up on here to get a good talking to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 am 

ROBERTO MANCINI says his “tough love” treatment of Adam Johnson is designed to turn him into one of the best wingers in the world.

Quote:
City manager Mancini believes he has a father-son relationship with Johnson – a lot of love but a few bust-ups along the way.

The latest came after Manchester City’s Carling Cup win at Molineux in midweek, when Johnson refused to board the team bus after taking exception to Mancini’s TV comments after the game.

Just when he thought he might receive a pat on the back from his manager after scoring one goal and making another in the 5-2 win, the ever-demanding Mancini came out with his usual “must improve” mantra.

Johnson and Mancini have since had clear-the-air talks and the player clearly took heed of his manager’s point.

After coming on as a substitute in the Premier League reunion with Wolves on Saturday, he had a hand in the second goal, scored the third and showed plenty of defensive responsibility after Vincent Kompany had been sent off. Mancini admits he is hard on the 24-year-old Johnson, who was his first buy after taking over as City manager in January 2010, but he says it is for the player’s own good.

“I love Adam but, yes, I am hard on him sometimes,” said father-of-three Mancini.

“It’s like with your children. If you love your children then sometimes you must be hard with them and Adam understands.

“Yes, we had words, but this is normal. I’m happy that he is upset. I’m happy because he can improve.

“If he wasn’t such a good player I wouldn’t waste my time saying what I say to him. I do it because he has everything and I don’t want him stopping at this level. I want him up a level and then a level more.

“For me, a player who has Adam’s quality should be at their best in every minute of every game. I don’t think he should be happy simply because he has scored a goal or made an assist. He has top qualities and should always be at a top level.

“Adam has some characteristics that are different from the other players and for this reason he could become one of the top wingers. In one-on-one situations, he is incredible, every time he gets the ball wide near the box we can score a goal or create a chance. If you have a top winger in your team then you can win a lot of games. But there’s so much more to come from him.

“He can improve every month, every week, every day. If he listens, he can become one of the top wingers in the game.

“I know Fabio Capello, the England manager, shares my opinion of him. We know he is an incredible player, but he should play well in every game, like David Silva.”

Johnson made an immediate impact when he came on, starting the move that led to Aleksandar Kolarov adding to Edin Dzeko’s opener and seemingly putting City in the comfort zone. But Kompany’s red card for pulling back Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt’s converted penalty gave spirited Wolves hope of an unlikely point before prodigal son Johnson finally killed them off in added time with a 25-yard shot.

His goal means City have made the best goal-scoring start by any club in a top-flight season for 117 years. They now have 36 from their first 10 games, one more than Everton managed from the first 10 fixtures in 1894-95.

Wolves gave City one of their toughest fights this season, but were undermined by mistakes by goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey for City’s first two goals and Roger Johnson for the third.

After taking only one point from the last 21 available, boss Mick McCarthy said: “People keep saying we are playing well, but I want us taking credit for getting a point or a victory, not for our performances.”

Watching the Wolves game, it was fairly apparent that Johno is listening to Mancini's advise. He was helping out defence far more than I've seen before although that might have been due to Kompany's red card.
Let's hope he starts to show more of that in other games aswell.

And "best goal-scoring start by any club in a top-flight season for 117 years..". :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next