Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:58 am 

OK, I love the guy, but I've been mulling on this for a wee while, Is he the problem with our defence?

With teh players we have we should have one of the strongest records in the league, we don't, we concede goals and have been conceding goals at an alarming rate this season. Newcastle had the same problem, they had decent defenders (and before you say ooooo titus bramble, titus bramble has gone on to be a decent player since he's left newcastle) now that harper is between the sticks for newcastle, they look rock solid.

Given doesn't command his box at all, the other night he should've owned that ball and clattered the fuck out of giggs to boot. He didn't.

Our defence has recentlt gotten better because we've changed the system in the box for set plays, this zonal marking takes the control of the organisation away from given, forcing the defenders to do it on their own. He should've had the cross for rooney's goal as well.

anyway, here's your 'paddy's being controversial shocker' chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:17 am 

Paddington Blue wrote:
OK, I love the guy, but I've been mulling on this for a wee while, Is he the problem with our defence?

With teh players we have we should have one of the strongest records in the league, we don't, we concede goals and have been conceding goals at an alarming rate this season. Newcastle had the same problem, they had decent defenders (and before you say ooooo titus bramble, titus bramble has gone on to be a decent player since he's left newcastle) now that harper is between the sticks for newcastle, they look rock solid.

Given doesn't command his box at all, the other night he should've owned that ball and clattered the fuck out of giggs to boot. He didn't.

Our defence has recentlt gotten better because we've changed the system in the box for set plays, this zonal marking takes the control of the organisation away from given, forcing the defenders to do it on their own. He should've had the cross for rooney's goal as well.

On Newcastle. They're defence is 'rock solid' because they've got a Premiership quality defence in the Championship. The level of the Championship is a lot worse than the Premiership and Collocini, Taylor and Enrique are thriving in it. Newcastle were as poor second half of last season without Given as they were with him. Last season Collocini had an absolute mare whereas this season he's actually looking quite decent. I'd put that down to the level of football rather than the goalkeeper.

Titus Bramble is still prone to the odd f*ck-up - Wigan's defensive record this season is hardly exemplary - but then that's probably besides the point.

In terms of controlling him box, I'm not sure - you may have a point. One of the problems with our marking of corners of late is that nobody ever seems to cover the man who runs in for the short corner (Portsmouth did it three times or so, United managed it a few as well). His coming for crosses isn't the best, however his shot-stopping just about is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 am 

Paddy

for a change you are talking shite

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 am 

I think we lack command in defence in general. Kolo is Captain but he does not look to be the one screaming and taking command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am 

We need a leader at the back. Break the bank for John Terry in the summer. Then Given will be sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:24 am 

Bastard wrote:
We need a leader at the back. Break the bank for John Terry in the summer. Then Given will be sound.

i'd go with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 am 

We've conceded 30 goals in 22 games (1.36 per game) in spite of our defence looking woeful at times. It could be double that if it wasn't for Shay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 am 

Paddington Blue wrote:

sure this was something they picked up on on motd - that he doesn't really come for crosses, but is a shot stopper of the highest quality. and i can't say i disagree as far as that goes, but to say he is the reason for our frailty is a step beyond logic. the defence under mancini has looked far more competent, but before that given is what earned us so many draws rather than loses. he has been very busy.

i'd contest your point about newcastle though, they were just dogshit in the prem - all over the park - and virtually the same team is good enough to top the championship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am 

Bastard wrote:

Watching the game yesterday I did note with some satisfaction Toure leading the back line, shouting out to them all sorts.

I think he's quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 am 

Irelandiniho wrote:
Watching the game yesterday I did note with some satisfaction Toure leading the back line, shouting out to them all sorts.

I think he's quality.

same, very few of us here man.

Kolo was probably our best player yday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 am 

Irelandiniho wrote:

I think he's quality.

Probably his best game in a City shirt yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:59 am 

Irelandiniho wrote:

I think he's quality.

Danny's Studs wrote:
same, very few of us here man.

Kolo was probably our best player yday.

and me! and me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
and me! and me!

me too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm 
Kolo was weally weally good.

Paddy, you look like you need fresh bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:48 pm 

Paddy, the last few post i've seen from you have nothing but slated City or our players,. What's going on????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Paddy, the last few post i've seen from you have nothing but slated City or our players,. What's going on????

That's not true, there was a thread on Gary Neville being great, Ronaldo being the best player in the world ever and united being a brilliant team. I think there might've been one on Fergie being awesome too, or it might just've been a post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
That's not true, there was a thread on Gary Neville being great, Ronaldo being the best player in the world ever and united being a brilliant team. I think there might've been one on Fergie being awesome too, or it might just've been a post.

I stand corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Kolo was weally weally good.

Paddy, you look like you need fresh jail bait.

has he ruined the last lot he picked up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:00 pm 

Bastard wrote:

and Wayne Bridge?

Edit: Probably just stay shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:20 pm 
gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
has he ruined the last lot he picked up?

No. They turned 16.