This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lescott
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
surplus?

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... eplace-les

Manchester City are targeting Newcastle's Fabricio Coloccini and Liverpool’s Daniel Agger as possible replacements for Joleon Lescott.

The Blues are looking to bolster their defensive options this summer, leaving a question mark over the future of the England defender.

With Roberto Mancini keen on the pair, along with Athletic Bilbao defender Javi Martinez, the 29-year-old England stopper could be the odd man out at Eastlands.

Lescott, who had the best season of his career when he helped Manchester City to the Premier League title and starred for England during Euro 2012, has just two-years left on his current deal.

Talks on a possible extension were always planned to take place after this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine, along with the likes of Gareth Barry and James Milner, but now his future in the North West is uncertain.

Manchester City's spending won't end with a defender though with the champions also keen on Arsenal skipper Robin Van Persie and Napoli striker Edinson Cavani.

-------------------------------------
Where did this sort of thing come from? Lescott has had a very good season, so why would the club let him go? There are other defenders to go first - Kolo Toure and Savic.

It's talksport, their sources are as good as my Denis Suarez to Barca IE Rubbish.

Though last night they reported via Guillem Balague that Drogba is set for a move to Barcelona allegedly.

Also be absoloutely luidcrous to drop Joleon, he may have the odd slip up in him but which defender doesn't?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
surplus?

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... eplace-les

Manchester City are targeting Newcastle's Fabricio Coloccini and Liverpool’s Daniel Agger as possible replacements for Joleon Lescott.

The Blues are looking to bolster their defensive options this summer, leaving a question mark over the future of the England defender.

With Roberto Mancini keen on the pair, along with Athletic Bilbao defender Javi Martinez, the 29-year-old England stopper could be the odd man out at Eastlands.

Lescott, who had the best season of his career when he helped Manchester City to the Premier League title and starred for England during Euro 2012, has just two-years left on his current deal.

Talks on a possible extension were always planned to take place after this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine, along with the likes of Gareth Barry and James Milner, but now his future in the North West is uncertain.

Manchester City's spending won't end with a defender though with the champions also keen on Arsenal skipper Robin Van Persie and Napoli striker Edinson Cavani.

-------------------------------------
Where did this sort of thing come from? Lescott has had a very good season, so why would the club let him go? There are other defenders to go first - Kolo Toure and Savic.

let him go from the door of a jet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:13 pm 

That's a terrible rumour. Maybe if they'd linked us to a world class defender, but to claim that we're getting rid of Lescott to make way for Coloccini and Agger?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am 

I didn't realise that Joleon has refused to wear Kick It Out t-shirts since 2007. Yet the wereduck and Jason Roberts make headlines for not wearing one once?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:18 pm 

Some papers running a story that Moyes wants Lescott back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 pm 

Gathering steam...

Well, I Ever! Lescott return to Toffees could spark string of deals by Moyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am 

Dark Blue wrote:

Can't see this happening tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:35 am 

KickerConspiracy wrote:
Dark Blue wrote:

Be bloody stupid if it did as it'd leave us well short at the back.

Has Kolo jumped ahead of Lescott in the pecking order?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:46 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
KickerConspiracy wrote:
Dark Blue wrote:

Be bloody stupid if it did as it'd leave us well short at the back.

Has Kolo jumped ahead of Lescott in the pecking order?

Doubt it. With Kolo and Yaya fucking off to Africa soon JL will be back in the starting line up soon enough i reckon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 pm 

Rumors otherwise it would be deluded to actually sell him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 pm 

Quote:
Joleon Lescott committed to England after cancelling Paris trip

Joleon Lescott made plans for Paris rather than Podgorica - but he is delighted a break with his wife Debbie had to be abandoned in exchange for answering an emergency call from England.

Lescott's romantic trip to Paris can wait for another day as Manchester City's defender grabs the chance of an all-too-rare opportunity for game time in a season where he has been marginalised by manager Roberto Mancini at club level.

The 30-year-old was a cornerstone of City's first title triumph in 44 years last season but Mancini's decision to drop him down his list of preferred central defenders originally cost Lescott a place in England's squad for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Tuesday's critical meeting with group leaders Montenegro.

It means there is every likelihood he will decide to leave The Etihad at the end of the season unless Mancini changes his mind about Lescott's place in his priorities.

But it is an indicator of how swiftly fortunes can fluctuate that Lescott was parachuted in from being an observer at City to a crucial part of manager Roy Hodgson's World Cup plans as circumstances stacked up in his favour.

Lescott was drafted in when Tottenham's Michael Dawson was ruled out by injury, which was followed by Rio Ferdinand's controversial withdrawal and Gary Cahill's absence with a knee problem.

It is an insult to a player who performed with distinction at Euro 2012 to describe him as England's last defender standing - and there was no disguising Lescott's determination to take his opportunity as he spoke at a windy beachside café in England's Rimini base before their departure for Podgorica.

England can be the beneficiaries of Lescott's determination to restate his international credentials and showcase the talents that would make him a bargain at around £4m at season's end. Former club Everton will be in the hunt after fences were mended following his acrimonious £24m move to City in 2009, as well as Aston Villa.

For now, though, Lescott's focus is all on helping England get the result that could shape the manner in which they will be able to reach Brazil. Defeat would leave them facing the prospect of a play-off - victory will give them control of the group.

Lescott said: "We had been given some time off by City and I was going away with my wife. I was going to go to Paris for a couple of days but she called it that I was going to get called up. She said 'we won't be able to go because you'll get called up'.

"I just said 'I hope so' and on Sunday night she was right. I had no inkling but she called it right. I'll have to get her to pick the lottery numbers next week."

Lescott's recall - he even ended up wearing the England captain's armband at the conclusion of Friday's 8-0 win in San Marino - is his equivalent of a lottery win after a season of frustration at City where he has been replaced by impressive summer signing Matija Nastasic.

More surprising has been Mancini's decision to prefer Kolo Toure to Lescott, who watched from the bench as old club Everton surely ended City's hopes of retaining the Premier League in the 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park in their last game, in the absence of injured captain Vincent Kompany.

Manchester United's Chris Smalling has been similarly starved of action but was selected by manager Hodgson ahead of Lescott after his impressive performance in the friendly win against Brazil at Wembley.

Lescott admitted: "I was aware of the situation but the manager said Chris had played in the last game before these qualifiers against Brazil and did well. I understood his decision and respected it. I'm here now and going to take the opportunity with both hands."

He added: "Of course it is a concern that I haven't been playing as much as I would like but I have confidence in my own ability. Touch wood I haven't been injured so I do feel sharp enough to adapt to anything. I'm not saying I'm a guaranteed starter but I feel sharp and fit."

Lescott's sudden demotion at City has not dulled his appetite for the game or success and his immediate priority is achieving his dream of playing in a World Cup rather than worrying about his uncertain future at club level.

"Towards the end of the season I will address that," he said. "But for now I'm fully focused on England and what England need to do.

"Off the back of last season, winning the Premier League then going to the Euros then not playing regularly at City, I know anything can happen in football. I take nothing for granted.

"I enjoy what I do. It's not a struggle to get up in the mornings and go to training. I like to think I am as professional as everyone else. I keep myself physically and mentally prepared for when needed."

And now, as manager Hodgson prepares for Montenegro, he is very much needed by England.

Yeah, because you need the cash :rolleyes:

Reading that, I very much doubt he will be with us next season. With Kolo likely to be leaving too that will leave us very short of centre halves. Especially when Vinny goes to Barca.... :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 am 

Quote:

Joleon Lescott has revealed his frustration at not being "given a fair opportunity" to prove himself by Manuel Pellegrini. The defender claims he is receiving differing treatment to other members of the Manchester City squad and would consider a transfer in January.

Lescott, who is 31 and in the final season of his contract, said that he is yet to be approached regarding new terms. He featured in Wednesday's 4-2 Champions League win over Viktoria Plzen but only because Vincent Kompany and Matija Nastasic were not fit. Lescott has managed only nine appearances this season and remains the fourth choice centre-back under Pellegrini after falling down the pecking order towards the end of Roberto Mancini's tenure as manager.

Having also lost his place in Roy Hodgson's England squad in a season that ends with the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, Lescott is considering his options. He said: "I need to be given a fair opportunity. I know no one can guarantee me playing every week but I would like to think that given a fair opportunity to play, if I am playing in the team I can do well enough to stay in the team.

"If you start to doubt yourself it will affect you so I try not to doubt myself and believe I can perform. When the opportunities come you have to grab them and if it means playing the next few games when Matija is out and Vinny is not ready, then great for me. Hopefully once again I can prove to the club, and if it is not here somewhere else, that I am worthy of a new contract."

Lescott believes Pellegrini is not allowing him the same chance as others. "I just want to be treated like everyone else. If I am in the team and the team is winning I stay in the team," he said. "Realistically there is probably only one place up for grabs when Vinny is fit and three of us are fighting for that. I have not played as much as I would have liked this season but I would like to think [against Plzen] I have done a good enough job to prove I can perform at this level."

Lescott's status at the club has plummeted since he was first-choice in City's title-winning campaign of two seasons ago and he would consider a fresh start elsewhere in the winter transfer window. "It is hard not playing. No professional enjoys it and I am no different," the former Everton defender said. "It is not great not playing in the last year of my contract. The situation is not ideal but I just have to try to play well when I am given the opportunity. We all train through the week to play and then when you are not it is disheartening.

"I want to stay, that is the main thing but the club have not approached me yet, so I don't know what the situation is with them. If I am playing for my future here, then great. If I am playing for it elsewhere, then so be it. I just know that every time I am out there I have to perform at a level were top clubs would be interested in signing me.

"It depends what the club wants and what opportunities there are for me. I am not just going to leave a club like this for the sake of it, but at the end of the season I would have to. So nothing can happen now. I can't speak to any clubs and no clubs can approach me but when that opportunity comes, if it does come in January, I will have to look at that.

"I have not really focused on anything but if a team abroad was giving me a fair opportunity to play and progress, then I would look at it. If you are not playing for Man City, it does not make you a bad player."

Regarding his prospects of making Hodgson's squad for Brazil, he said: "It does not look like I am going at the minute. I have not been in the last few squads, so it is going to be hard but if I am playing for City and we are progressing in the Champions League and the title race, then there might be a place for me.

"I have not given up. But I know that comes from playing for Man City, so the faster I can get myself back in City the better."

Loan move in January or a free transfer? Can't see anyone matching his wages so I reckon a loan where we still get stuffed for half of them

Problem is: we are short of cover in that position anyway so we'd certainly have to recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 am 

Lot of reports about a deal agreed with West Ham.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:45 am 

says in telegraph that whilst a deal is agreed we will not release him till jan 20 as we might be a bit busy till then

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 am 

Khabom wrote:
Lot of reports about a deal agreed with West Ham.

Total madness if you ask me, unless were getting someone good in.

I think Shaw from Soton has been linked to us today, think £30 million has been quoted.

Good player but nowhere near £30 million.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 am 

And a left back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 pm 

There are 2 problems with buying players now.
The first is universal in that so many mediocre players have been bought and sold for silly money and secondly if we want to buy someone everyone thinks that we are so rich that we can afford to pay way over the odds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
There are 2 problems with buying players now.
The first is universal in that so many mediocre players have been bought and sold for silly money and secondly if we want to buy someone everyone thinks that we are so rich that we can afford to pay way over the odds.

Well. In truth, we can Bert. I do get your point though. There is a price for other teams a price for City/Barca/RMadrid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm 

He's staying...

not really a shocker... but by the tweets from him and other players, the plan really was for him to leave.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:23 pm 

west spam the intended destination?