Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:27 pm 

Miggs V3 wrote:
just noticed schweinsteiger takes his free kicks with his right foot. i thought he was a left winger? he could solve our problem on the right side.

IMO his free kicks were fairly poor the last couple of matches i watched him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:29 pm 

Schweinsteiger's always been a right winger, but I guess most wingers switch sides nowadays. He's also 23 years old and a regular starter for Bayern Munich. I don't see why he'd leave them for us.

Of the players we've been linked with, my first choices would be Arshavin (but I doubt we'd get him), Cana, Podolski and Zhirkov for the first team. The rest is more about cover and competition.

Anyone reckon we'll see Elano on the right hand side this season? After all, it's not as if Bentley's a pacey winger, and Elano's better than him at pretty much everything else. Either that or a deeper role in midfield. I can't see Hughes using him in a free role behind a lone striker like Sven somehow. I reckon we've got the players that would be better as an attacking possession style team rather than the counter-attacking style that Sven has us playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:43 pm 

Quite right ESM, sick of harping on about this really, we have 13 strikers on our books and a very thin midfield. We could throw ANY striker up front and if he isnt getting service, well you've seen what happens frustratioin ensues...and conversely with excellent service Dickov could be putting balls in nets.

Where do we need new faces? For me;

Right winger, we are desperate here. Paramount.
Creative midfielder to play with/in place of Elano, Johnson and Ireland. We're in good nick with Gelson and Hamann at holding/winning ball roll. I do think we need to replace Hamman in January. He's played his bit part well, but time marches.
Left Back. Another troublesome area, Ball is good but goes missing sometimes, and Garrido is second string only.
Centre half if Dunne goes, we need another. Micah, Corluka and Nedum aren't enough if injuries occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:50 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Quite right ESM, sick of harping on about this really, we have 13 strikers on our books and a very thin midfield. We could throw ANY striker up front and if he isnt getting service, well you've seen what happens frustratioin ensues...and conversely with excellent service Dickov could be putting balls in nets.

Creative midfielder to play with/in place of Elano, Johnson and Ireland. We're in good nick with Gelson and Hamann at holding/winning ball roll. I do think we need to replace Hamman in January. He's played his bit part well, but time marches.
Left Back. Another troublesome area, Ball is good but goes missing sometimes, and Garrido is second string only.
Centre half if Dunne goes, we need another. Micah, Corluka and Nedum aren't enough if injuries occur.

I'd switch creative midfielder to holding midfielder, but other than that concurrage all round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:18 pm 

littleblueman wrote:
I think we need a back up to Hamman & Gelson, someone with the experience of Hamman and the energy of Gelson. I can see them sharing the role through the season but with Hamman probably only lasting another season we need someone to bed in for a season. No idea who though, Huddlestone maybe?

A right winger definately otherwise we're left with giving the ball to Petrov and him shooting off down the wing at 100mph, need some balance and something to give other teams to think about. There's obviously Bentley but he's probably off down south so maybe Lennon, Milner, Pennant, Benayoun or even Routledge but would we want any. You might notice that I can't be bothered thinking of any foreigners right now!

Creativity-wise there's obviously Johnson & Ireland. I'd maybe think about dropping Elano a bit further back and allow him to move around a bit like Fabregas finding the killer passes that unlock the defenses.

Huddlestone's just signed a new contract though. And he's shit.
Lennon can't cross and he had a baaaad season last year, I like Pennant and Benayoun, though they're totally different types of player.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:21 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:

I was thinking we need left wing too because we've only got Petrov but then Weiss can play there at a push I suppose.
Good post though. I agree.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!