Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Pablo Zabaleta
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:13 pm 

I was very impressed yesterday. Up until then, I was not impressed with him, despite the opinions of many other City fans, as I fel he looked suspect when he had a winger running at him, and did not have the pace to keep up with them, which often led him to resort to reckless fouls. I often found myself panicing when he was faced with a tricky winger running at him.

However yesterday, much to davepat123's delight, I had to admit that Zabaleta may in fact be the quality player that everyone is saying he is. As a midfielder he seemed to have the energy, guile and tenacity which can be said of Gelson Fernandes, whilst having ability on the ball, and contributing strongly going forward. As a midfielder, he really stood out, and you could see his confidence increasing throughout the match, capped off by as good a volley as we're likely to see this season (bar Glen Johnson).

I feel that Zabaleta may well be the player who can bring that grit and steel which City have been lacking, if played at the centre of the park. And Komapny and Onuoha too looked dependable and cool despite the numerical disadvantage, and the hordes of physically adept Wigan players being thrown at them. Maybe Dunne's suspension is a chance for this partnership to establish. I know that in the modern climate there is potential to get overexcited by the names linked with our club. But maybe we should look at the options and potential within our own squad first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:25 pm 

Yeah Must admit I was at the game and the first 15 mins he was losing the ball by careless passes , but as the game went on he looked more comfortable, and his tackling yesterday was suberb , and he was throwing himself in the way of the ball , awesome all round performance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:32 pm 

Can't believe that Steve Bruce had the nerve to complain about the penalty they "should've had" after the dodgy penalty they got against us last time. At least the ref makes honest mistakes. Your cheating twat of a player didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm 

Just seen on the MEN player rating that they gave Zabs an 8 - what do you have to do to get a 9 or a 10?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 pm 

By the way, I don't suppose anyone here sits in East Stand, Block 109, Row CC/DD?

I was talking to a guy there who was talking about Carl Ramsbottom. That's pretty much an internet thing, and was just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 pm 

That's what we've been missing. Someone who takes in upon himself to be the one that's gonna get stuck in. I know Ireland has been doing that but most of his work has been from the front and in the opponents half. Zabaleta did most of it yesterday in our half when the opposition were at their most threatening. I'd rather he was given the opportunity to play there again, with Kompany dropping into the back 4.

As for Ned. Yes he did play well yesterday, and it'd nice to see him get a run there. It's just keeping him fit. He's not reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:56 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Just seen on the MEN player rating that they gave Zabs an 8 - what do you have to do to get a 9 or a 10?

Play for the rags?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 pm 

did anybody mention zab and midfield before? :rolleyes:

http://www.mancityforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78930#post78930

http://waitforthewhistle.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:14 pm 

Shimmer wrote:
did anybody mention zab and midfield before? :rolleyes:

http://www.mancityforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78930#post78930

Have you got any other ideas that will pay dividents like that. Please can you tell us all next that Glauber Berti is a 40-goal a season striker? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:16 pm 

THought he was awesome yesterday.

47. On contentious ground, I would hurry up my rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:17 pm 

hesherehesthere wrote:
Have you got any other ideas that will pay dividents like that. Please can you tell us all next that Glauber Berti is a 40-goal a season striker? :D

well i can't say that but along with de jong we might better have a look at gokhan inler from udinese. i'd love to see him at city and he'll probably go to a big team in summer

http://waitforthewhistle.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:13 pm 

Interesting that after all the comments yesterday about how good Zabaleta was , the only times he was shown on MOTD was when he scored and when he was invoved in the putative penalty incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
Interesting that after all the comments yesterday about how good Zabaleta was , the only times he was shown on MOTD was when he scored and when he was invoved in the putative penalty incident.

That was never a pen. Ref got it spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:18 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:

Yes the MOTD coverage didn't show city or zabaleta in the best light. But then I wasn't surprised about that either. They rather show wigan coming close than great tackling and defensive skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm 

I don't get it :confused:

Attachments:
picsrv_mcfc_co_uk.jpg
picsrv_mcfc_co_uk.jpg [ 70.93 KiB | Viewed 24796 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm 
South East Citizen wrote:
I don't get it :confused:

It's Spanish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:47 pm 

Oh OK, I thought maybe it was some feeble attempt to play on his name.

Pretty weak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:43 am 

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/March/Pablo-the-pick-for-Mancini

Roberto Mancini has paid tribute to unsung hero Pablo Zabaleta as he gears up to try and burst Fulham's bubble after their sensational midweek victory over Juventus.

The versatile Spaniard, who has become a firm crowd favourite since his move from Espanyol, has figured in virtually every match since Mancini arrived at the club in December.

Zabaleta's willing work-rate and tenacious tackling have endeared him to fans, who tease him over his lack of goals since a spectacular winner against Wigan 14 months ago.

Mancini said: "It's great for a manager to have a player like Pablo around. He can play in almost every position - maybe not striker, but I'm sure he would do it if I asked him!

"He has done very well in every position I have asked him to play, but for me he is at his best in midfield. I prefer to play him there, but he has been good at left back, right back or anywhere across the midfield.

"It's also important that if I am making changes during a game, I have players like Pablo can change position when I ask them."

City's manager was at Craven Cottage on Thursday night to see Roy Hodgson's side recover from a 4-1 deficit in their Europa League tie to see off Serie A giants Juventus with a huge effort.

He said: "I want a win on Sunday - we have three very important games coming up next week, it's a crucial time for us and three points would be the best way to start.

"It will be a hard game, but if we are fully committed on Sunday and keep our concentration then we have a very good chance of doing well."

Victory is vital in the bid for fourth place. Zabaleta, who switched roles twice at Sunderland, said: "Just hearing the Champions League anthem is exciting! I've not played in it yet and I want to change that with City."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 am 

The mind boggles. He praises Zabaleta and Ireland cant get on the pitch. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:48 am 

Squidge wrote:
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/March/Pablo-the-pick-for-Mancini

Roberto Mancini has paid tribute to unsung hero Pablo Zabaleta as he gears up to try and burst Fulham's bubble after their sensational midweek victory over Juventus.

The versatile Spaniard, who has become a firm crowd favourite since his move from Espanyol, has figured in virtually every match since Mancini arrived at the club in December.

Zabaleta's willing work-rate and tenacious tackling have endeared him to fans, who tease him over his lack of goals since a spectacular winner against Wigan 14 months ago.

Mancini said: "It's great for a manager to have a player like Pablo around. He can play in almost every position - maybe not striker, but I'm sure he would do it if I asked him!

"He has done very well in every position I have asked him to play, but for me he is at his best in midfield. I prefer to play him there, but he has been good at left back, right back or anywhere across the midfield.

"It's also important that if I am making changes during a game, I have players like Pablo can change position when I ask them."

City's manager was at Craven Cottage on Thursday night to see Roy Hodgson's side recover from a 4-1 deficit in their Europa League tie to see off Serie A giants Juventus with a huge effort.

He said: "I want a win on Sunday - we have three very important games coming up next week, it's a crucial time for us and three points would be the best way to start.

"It will be a hard game, but if we are fully committed on Sunday and keep our concentration then we have a very good chance of doing well."

Victory is vital in the bid for fourth place. Zabaleta, who switched roles twice at Sunderland, said: "Just hearing the Champions League anthem is exciting! I've not played in it yet and I want to change that with City."

Well Done City:D

He is a good player but is the most likely one to get booked or sent off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next