Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 am 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
A good manager would do this.
If we were to play a 4-4-2, I'd give him a chance in a few pre-season freindlies. If Hughes is happy with what he see's, keep him, if he's still a shower of shite like he was before he left us, get rid.
It's not the fact he was a shower of shit I didn't like anyway, I'm used to that, it comes with following the club, it's the fact he jumped ship as soon as he could

Exactly. Hughes knows from first hand experience what It's like to be a striker who relies on support, and who isn't the most mobile of players, so he will know what is needed from the wingers and attacking midfielders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:48 am 

Mugwuffen wrote:
Exactly. Hughes knows from first hand experience what It's like to be a striker who relies on support, and who isn't the most mobile of players, so he will know what is needed from the wingers and attacking midfielders.

So are you suggesting we need better wingers to accomodate Bianchi, or just that Bianchi needs to adjust to the way our wingers play?

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 am 

So are you suggesting we need better wingers to accomodate Bianchi, or just that Bianchi needs to adjust to the way our wingers play?

Petrov is fine, but we need something of the same calibre coming from the right hand side. With one winger, its all to easy for defenders to adjust and cut out supply, with two wingers able to send a good ball in it makes life a lot harder for them. And if we are going to play to Bianchi's style then someone, like Jo, or Bojinov needs to be in and around him to collect knockdowns or make runs off him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:54 am 

Mugwuffen wrote:
Petrov is fine, but we need something of the same calibre coming from the right hand side. With one winger, its all to easy for defenders to adjust and cut out supply, with two wingers able to send a good ball in it makes life a lot harder for them. And if we are going to play to Bianchi's style then someone, like Jo, or Bojinov needs to be in and around him to collect knockdowns or make runs off him.

Fair point. In the interest of experimentation pre-season, I'd be interested to see Bojinov and Bianchi up front in tandem. Similarly I think all 3 of our strikers (Bianchi, Bojinov and Benjani) should be given a chance to play with each other, and possibly play all three together in a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 system. See what happens, who gives a fuck if we get beat, at least we know what our favoured system is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:58 am 

Mugwuffen wrote:

Last season we were playing with Ireland, Elano and Petrov who were there to support the striker(s). They could have done their job better of course.

However, our goal scoring record has been piss poor. We have signed one striker after another who can't score.

Bianchi
Samaras
Benjani
Mpenza
Corradi
Caicido

And since Nico has left we've waved goodbye to some of his teammates who had difficulty finding the back of the net as well.

Fowler
Macken
BWP

Nico played for us for 2 1/2 seasons and had a good consistent scoring record. I would bet that he has scored more goals for City than all of the above put together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:01 am 

It's not his goalscoring record I don't like, it's the fact he's the laziest shit ever on the pitch. If it's not to his feet, he'll throw a paddy. You rarely see him on the defensive side of the half-way line, and he just had to have it his way or it was no way at all. He wasn't a team player, he was an individual who thought the team should play for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:08 am 

It's not his goalscoring record I don't like, it's the fact he's the laziest shit ever on the pitch. If it's not to his feet, he'll throw a paddy. You rarely see him on the defensive side of the half-way line, and he just had to have it his way or it was no way at all. He wasn't a team player, he was an individual who thought the team should play for him.

Well, I thought he was the business when he played for Manchester City. The best player by far in that team. Better than SWP.

He wasn't afraid to get back but his main job was to score goals and he scored lots. Many of them winning goals. He also never missed a penalty for City.
He came to the club when we were promoted with the understanding that the team would be built up quickly to compete in Europe. After the first season he was asked about the high finish (9th I think) and said it was ok but we would have to do better next season.

He worked hard at City in a bad team. It is to his credit that he scored so many goals in a poor team that was in a tailspin. We would have been relegated if it wasn't for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:10 am 
slart wrote:
Well, I thought he was the business when he played for Manchester City. The best player by far in that team. Better than SWP.

He wasn't afraid to get back but his main job was to score goals and he scored lots. Many of them winning goals. He also never missed a penalty for City.
He came to the club when we were promoted with the understanding that the team would be built up quickly to compete in Europe. After the first season he was asked about the high finish (9th I think) and said it was ok but we would have to do better next season.

He worked hard at City in a bad team. It is to his credit that he scored so many goals in a poor team that was in a tailspin. We would have been relegated if it wasn't for him.

Yup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 am 

slart wrote:
Last season we were playing with Ireland, Elano and Petrov who were there to support the striker(s). They could have done their job better of course.

However, our goal scoring record has been piss poor. We have signed one striker after another who can't score.

Bianchi
Samaras
Benjani
Mpenza
Corradi
Caicido

And since Nico has left we've waved goodbye to some of his teammates who had difficulty finding the back of the net as well.

Fowler
Macken
BWP

Nico played for us for 2 1/2 seasons and had a good consistent scoring record. I would bet that he has scored more goals for City than all of the above put together.

The problem isn't so much the strikers, as the way we've been paying the last few seasons. 4-4-2 and two decent wingers and Bianchi would thrive. I'm sure of it. Anelka is a cock, btw.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 am 

Fair views. I've just never liked the guy. He seems to have been the same in every team he has played at, apart from Liverpool and Chelsea. He's one of those players that, yes, fair enough he bagged the goals, but he felt he ws bigger than the club.
I'm happier with the strikeforce we have now, minus him. At least 2 of those 3players actually want to play for the club, help direct them in an upward position, and are willingto do that for any manager.
We've all seen Benjani's pedigree, we know he can do it, and I think we were all a little disappointed when he only bagged the two. Let's allow him to get through his firat full season, if he's still not settled, thank him for his time and move him on.
Bojinov is a bit harder. We haven't really managed to see much of him, which I think would make it unfair of us to ship him out after one season. If Football Manager is accurate, he is going to become a superb player. Similar to Benjani, in lets give him another season, see what happens.
For me, Bianchi seems to be a disloyal little shit that will jump ship at the first opportunity. It would seem he has some class, given the right ball, but as soon as things start to go pear-shaped, he'll be off, and I want players who will be at the club no matter what, through thick or thin, and I don't believe Bianchi is this type of player at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 am 

Got Lucky wrote:
The problem isn't so much the strikers, as the way we've been paying the last few seasons. 4-4-2 and two decent wingers and Bianchi would thrive. I'm sure of it. Anelka is a cock, btw.

True, the midfielders haven't supplied as much as they should have, but that list of strikers is piss poor. Maybe Bianchi would thrive if he was brought back under a new manager and a new system. He put himself about when he played for City and was very committed. However, we saw very little evidence that he could score 15-20 goals a year.

Maybe Nico was a cock, but he scored plenty of goals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 am 

Got Lucky wrote:

Totally concur, already stamping his feet like a petulant child at Chelsea. Goals are one thing, drafting in trouble makers is another.

I'd love to see us go back to a 4-4-2, but we need that right winger, and although I heart him I'm not sure Gelson is the midfield enforcer we'd need for that system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:19 am 

slart wrote:
True, the midfielders haven't supplied as much as they should have, but that list of strikers is piss poor. Maybe Bianchi would thrive if he was brought back under a new manager and a new system. He put himself about when he played for City and was very committed. However, we saw very little evidence that he could score 15-20 goals a year.

He scored 5 in 10 starts for us, so after 38 games, he could notch up a tally somewhere around those figures. I think he is a player that needs to be playing week-in-week-out, he found it difficult coming off the bench into games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:21 am 

ESM wrote:
Totally concur, already stamping his feet like a petulant child at Chelsea. Goals are one thing, drafting in trouble makers is another.

I'd love to see us go back to a 4-4-2, but we need that right winger, and although I heart him I'm not sure Gelson is the midfield enforcer we'd need for that system.

What we need is a player who can score goals like Nico, loves City like Jon Macken and can play as many games as Alan Oakes.

Shouldn't be too hard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 am 

slart wrote:
What we need is a player who can score goals like Nico, loves City like Jon Macken and can play as many games as Alan Oakes.

Shouldn't be too hard!

:D

Wasn't Macken a rag??

Anelka is a spastic. His latest load of bollocks is that he should have never left Arsenal all those years ago. That'll endear him to the chav faithful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 am 

ESM wrote:
:D

Wasn't Macken a rag??

Anelka is a spastic. His latest load of bollocks is that he should have never left Arsenal all those years ago. That'll endear him to the chav faithful.

He's an annoying fucker. He thinks he's the greatest striker in the world.
Why France started with him and not Terry Henry yesterday I will never understand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 am 

He's an annoying fucker. He thinks he's the greatest striker in the world.
Why France started with him and not Terry Henry yesterday I will never understand

Henry was injured in training, picked up a knock or something. Le Sulk hardly made a point with his performance. He gets given a chance to impress, doesn't take it, and will sulk when Henry is put back in his place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am 

anelka seems like a guy that can only score goals in a shit team, stats may say otherwise but its just a perception i have of him

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 am 

slart wrote:

I disagree. All the evidence you need is that goal he scored on his debut and the goal he scored at Bristol. A tap in and a twenty yarder. He didn't score more because he had very limited opportunities and service.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 am 

Got Lucky wrote:
I disagree. All the evidence you need is that goal he scored on his debut and the goal he scored at Bristol. A tap in and a twenty yarder. He didn't score more because he had very limited opportunities and service.

What the fuck has happened to your signature?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next