Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:23 am 

Gelson Fernandes says that after an impressive first season with the Blues the best is still yet to come from him.

The young Swiss international was an unknown quantity to most when he arrived from FC Sion last summer, but after waiting until November for a first league start he established himself at the heart of the midfield with a string of energetic performances.

The 21-year-old’s season is far from over with Euro 2008 in Switzerland & Austria looming, but looking back on his debut season in England he says:

“I came from Switzerland where the standard of the league is not the same, so I didn’t expect to be in the starting eleven at first. I just wanted to work hard and show my best, which I always try to.

“In life you need to be patient in everything you do. I was probably not ready to play, it was a new environment, a new language, I was away from my family and it was not easy, but it’s alright now. I was very proud to get into the team, very happy and this is just the beginning for me.”

One of the youngest of what was, at times, of the youngest teams in the Premier League, Gelson insists that the final position of ninth in the league table is something City can be proud of.

“There were a lot of new players and it was a new team,” he continues. “It was going to be difficult with a lot of new players to become a good team from the start. But I think we have done well (this season), you can have periods where your form is not good enough but I think the league table is right for a season where we had 11 new players come to the club.

“Some of the squad were very young, some played in England for the first time and I can see now that it’s not easy to build a team to compete for the top in the first season. You need time to work together and to get to know each other, but we can build on this because we have a lot of young players.”

And despite his busy season set to continue well into June, Gelson is already focused on what’s required domestically next term.

“I’m hoping for even better from us next season. I can promise that we’ll work hard when we come back for pre-season, and we’ll give the fans what they deserve and we’ll try our very best.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm 

I do indeed Heart Fernandes.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:15 pm 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
think about similar players to gelson who have had such a great 1st season.... I cant think of many. He is learning day by day by playing with maestro's such as hamann....and eventually i can see city playing 4-4-2 with the engine room of johnson and gelson and two decent wide men..... I like the lad a lot, his passing has been sometimes wayward but he has a lot of energy and intelligence and reminds me of a young viera.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:33 am 

I remember questioning svens decision to sign a young nobody from a crap league, but this just goes to show that he knows what he's doing and has an eye for talent ala arsene wenger, that or he just got lucky,

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:02 am 

Gallagheresque wrote:
I do indeed Heart Fernandes.:)

he is a player that works hard most of the games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
think about similar players to gelson who have had such a great 1st season.... I cant think of many. He is learning day by day by playing with maestro's such as hamann....and eventually i can see city playing 4-4-2 with the engine room of johnson and gelson and two decent wide men..... I like the lad a lot, his passing has been sometimes wayward but he has a lot of energy and intelligence and reminds me of a young viera.....

he played a big role in his first season with us, I'm waiting for next season to come, so I can see the development the he'll get through the summer (Euro 2008).

Hopefully we will start playing 4-4-2 from the coming season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:06 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
I remember questioning svens decision to sign a young nobody from a crap league, but this just goes to show that he knows what he's doing and has an eye for talent ala arsene wenger, that or he just got lucky,

He had the chance when Johnson go injured, and he showed what he is capable of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:10 am 

i was referring to sven getting lucky signing him. Gelson is quality and wouldnt be surprised if we see some cheeky bids for him in the summer.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:14 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
i was referring to sven getting lucky signing him. Gelson is quality and wouldnt be surprised if we see some cheeky bids for him in the summer.

ok

*misunderstanding*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:13 am 

been impressed with gelson's form this season. should be a lot better next season

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 am 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
ok

*misunderstanding*

and thats why i pwn you. ;)

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
and thats why i pwn you. ;)