Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Steady Neddy Interview
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 pm 

All change again for us at Manchester City, I am now onto my fourth manager during my time in the first team.

Many people would see this as a negative, but I don't see it like that at all and this is not being biased towards the club or anything like that. But I would say that I have learnt an awful lot from all of them.

I think I can, and have, taken something different out of the various experiences and different approaches to the game and I think that has benefited me and made me the player I am today.

Things have obviously changed again around the club since the new boss [Mark Hughes] took charge, it is not massively different as it was not previously - but there are little things especially around the training ground.

But we are players and we get on with it, confidence is still high in the camp and so it should be with the players we have got. Pre-season has been good, we have come through in the Uefa Cup so all the positives are there.

We have not really discussed our targets for next year but I think as a professional you are always looking to build on your performance, year on year so I think that is something we all need to be looking at.

Obviously as ever the Premier League will not be easy this season, many clubs have invested heavily but as I have said previously I don't think it is impossible for somebody to break into the top-four (saying that I can only see four teams for the title), I think it is just a matter of consistency.

From our own perspective we have seen a few new faces coming in with the main one being Jo and he looks a real class act and I think he will be somebody to really look out for this season, but as I speak he is not with us - he is currently in China for the Olympics - where I will be keeping an eye out for him.

Olympic dreams
Speaking of the Olympics, as some of you may or may not know I used to be very much into Athletics, I was pretty quick and when I was 14 I beat Craig Pickering in the national championships and now he is in Bejing.

I won't be watching the television thinking what if, as football was always my first love - but I will be taking a keen interest as I still love to watch the Athletics.

One person I won't be watching is my friend Rick Yates - who has disgracefully been overlooked and denied a chance to take part in the Olympics by UK Athletics.

I am honestly so angry and upset for Rick, he is a top guy and he should be there. For those who have not followed Rick's situation - he won the trials, just outside the qualifying time and since then he has recorded the A-standard needed - but he was still not taken, indeed there will not be a single 400 metre hurdler at the Games for Great Britain which is a disgrace to be honest, given Rick will be sat at home watching when he should be there.

But as I said I will still be watching the Olympics as I love it, but it seems to be mostly live in the middle of the night so I just hope I don't have too many early training sessions the day after!

Looking ahead to the new season many people as ever ask for our tips - so here go my picks.

League Two I think Rochdale, League One predictably I think Leeds and the Championship again like most I would say QPR.

The Premier League I think is just nearly impossible to pick - all I will say is it will be one of the top four.

And the FA Cup, who else but Manchester City!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:35 pm 

Source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:45 am 

Benny wrote:
Source?

http://www.skysports.com/blogs/blog_story/0,19793,13182_3941155,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:35 am 

Benny wrote:
Source?

There's a clue in the title. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:13 am 

Khabom wrote:

Is there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 am 

Nedum Onouha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:47 am 

I've got a lot of time for Neddy. He's got a ton of talent & seems like a genuinely decent and intelligent bloke. He just needs to believe in his ability a little more & be a tad more decisive. If he does that he'd be running Charlie very close for the right back berth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 am 

Khabom wrote:

I was referring to who he was speaking to, or was it directly to mm. Sky sports it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 am 

Benny wrote:
I was referring to who he was speaking to, or was it directly to mm. Sky sports it seems.

OK, I've gotcha....