Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 pm 

From MEN site

Quote:
Defender Vedran Corluka made an unexpected 45-minute appearance at right back.

The highly-rated Croatian defender had spent some of the previous 24 hours talking terms with Spurs over a proposed £7m move but may yet choose to stay having had a chat with the City manager.

Corluka’s inclusion was not the only shock though the other surprises centred on those not north of the border rather than those who were.

The travelling squad was minus most of those whose names end in the letter ‘O’. Nery Castillo, Elano and Felipe Caicedo all failed to make the cut.

Very interesting. So there seems to have been some truth in the Corluka rumours (or MEN are trying to cover their backs) I can understand why Caicedo and Castillo were not included in the squad, I cant see them featuring much really at the moment. Why no Elano ? Is he injured ? It seems like Corluka might not be keen on a move to the spuds.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 pm 

Good. Good for him if he turned them down. And good for us too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:36 pm 

Maybe Elano is going to Roma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
Maybe Elano is going to Roma.

rather we lost elano to roma than corluka to spurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

Form your conga line behind please

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

That seems the case at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:28 pm 

Bianchi, Caciedo and Castillo were awfull against Stockport. Lets hope he can sell the two and maybe generate £10m ish, and maybe Castillo could stay as back up as he is only on loan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 pm 

You get the sense that something is happening on the transfer front. Would be gutted if either Elano or Corluka left but given the choice I would rather keep Corluka I think, simply becuase I dont think Elano is a Hughes type of player.

We desperately need him though only Elano and Petrov seem to create anything - or score.

I would much rather we got rid of Mills, Castillo, Caicedo, Bianchi, Ireland and Vassell before we ever consider selling Elano or Corluka. Problem is finding buyers . Would probably save a fair bit in wages canceling Castillo loan. In reality he is not a hughes type of player we wont be signing him permanently and we have plenty of players in the squad better suited in the squad. He has only played 45 minutes or so in pre season so far. Obviously not in Hughes plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:03 pm 

alera wrote:
You get the sense that something is happening on the transfer front. Would be gutted if either Elano or Corluka left but given the choice I would rather keep Corluka I think, simply becuase I dont think Elano is a Hughes type of player.

We desperately need him though only Elano and Petrov seem to create anything - or score.

I would much rather we got rid of Mills, Castillo, Caicedo, Bianchi, Ireland and Vassell before we ever consider selling Elano or Corluka. Problem is finding buyers .

Ireland, Vassell and even Castillo could be useful players for us IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 pm 

Ireland and Vassel definately. But no where near as valuable as Corluka and Elano. Would surely start every game if available.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:18 am 

But then surely if he was thinking of moving to Spurs and had talks the previous day, then he wouldn't have played for us last night?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:41 am 

IMO Elano, Corluka,Ireland and Vassell can all play a role in getting City established as top 6, sadly it's not me in charge, and I can see a very different type of football from Hughes this year than Sven wanted to play.

He will try and put out a physical team and players that unsettle teams. Maybe he will be looking at a straight forward 4-4-2 and sees no need for a finnesse player like elano and maybe he will shake up the back and put Micah on the right and use the money from Corluka to buy a left back.

It's good to see him using the youngsters up front. Caicedo doesn't seem to be getting too many chances, wonder if he will prove to be decent in the long term ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:44 am 

cannon wrote:
IMO Elano, Corluka,Ireland and Vassell can all play a role in getting City established as top 6, sadly it's not me in charge, and I can see a very different type of football from Hughes this year than Sven wanted to play.

He will try and put out a physical team and players that unsettle teams. Maybe he will be looking at a straight forward 4-4-2 and sees no need for a finnesse player like elano and maybe he will shake up the back and put Micah on the right and use the money from Corluka to buy a left back.

It's good to see him using the youngsters up front. Caicedo doesn't seem to be getting too many chances, wonder if he will prove to be decent in the long term ?

The passing and football was very good last night, against a physical Celtic team!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:08 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
The passing and football was very good last night, against a physical Celtic team!!

I noticed that.

Very quick and direct, which is never usually how we play :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:54 am 

alera wrote:

I would much rather we got rid of Mills, Castillo, Caicedo, Bianchi, Ireland and Vassell before we ever consider selling Elano or Corluka. Problem is finding buyers . Would probably save a fair bit in wages canceling Castillo loan. In reality he is not a hughes type of player we wont be signing him permanently and we have plenty of players in the squad better suited in the squad. He has only played 45 minutes or so in pre season so far. Obviously not in Hughes plans.

Plus selling a player to a foreign team rather than one from the same league definitely softens the blow. The fact that it's Spurs we are thinking of flogging Corluka to rubs a whole bag of salt in the wound for me.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:56 am 

gone a bit quiet this morning has the Corluka story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
gone a bit quiet this morning has the Corluka story

Think the fact that he played last night must of convinced most people he's staying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am 

Ita all gone very quiet. They drop the bombshell that elano not in the squad implying something was up then nothing to back it up today (ie injured in talks with a club etc). More and more the MEN just pisses me off. They seem to reguarly make up stories with no foundation just to get people onto the site buy their rag.

I know all newspapers are like this but they seem to have got much worse recently.

I really dont see Hughes wanting to sell Corluka with the amount of fixtures we have this season, Dunne being out for the first few games etc...

SSN seem to be licking thier wounds as regards city at the moment as well. They have not mentioned anything about us for a couple of days really..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 am 

alera wrote:
Ita all gone very quiet. They drop the bombshell that elano not in the squad implying something was up then nothing to back it up today (ie injured in talks with a club etc). More and more the MEN just pisses me off. They seem to reguarly make up stories with no foundation just to get people onto the site buy their rag.

I know all newspapers are like this but they seem to have got much worse recently.

I really dont see Hughes wanting to sell Corluka with the amount of fixtures we have this season, Dunne being out for the first few games etc...

SSN seem to be licking thier wounds as regards city at the moment as well. They have not mentioned anything about us for a couple of days really..

Would we really be that bothered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 am 

I would not read too much into it. Hughes said the other day, that he wanted all his players to have about 400 mins pre season and that he would rotate the squad.