Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:13 pm 

No doubt he is a quality player. You dont play for Brazil regular otherwise.

He had quite a few injuries second half of the season, no one to play with up front and was played out of position, right back etc etc.

That is my biggest fear that Hughes will not play him in his favoured role. Really we should be building the team round a player like him. If he plays in the hole behind Jo we could get a hatful of goals out of them next season.

Lets not forget even playing completely sh** / injured from November onwards he was still our top scorer last season. Easily our best midfield player on his day.

Quote:
He was wank against Hamburg, made Ireland look good.

That really is not fair at all. We played him the holding roll in midfiled. Has he ever played there in his life ? Only a village idiot would try and play elano in the holding position. Complete and utter madness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:15 pm 

alera wrote:
Lets not forget even playing completely sh** / injured from November onwards he was still our top scorer last season. Easily our best midfield player on his day.

Yes, this a million times, and remember how he was happy to slot into the defence when we needed him there and did alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:15 pm 

alera wrote:
No doubt he is a quality player. You dont play for Brazil regular otherwise.

He had quite a few injuries second half of the season, no one to play with up front and was played out of position, right back etc etc.

That is my biggest fear that Hughes will not play him in his favoured role. Really we should be building the team round a player like him. If he plays in the hole behind Jo we could get a hatful of goals out of them next season.

Ah but alera, he had some poor performances secong half of the season so he's clearly a flash in the pan who should never get into the team again etc etc etc.

What a bunch of fucking clowns.

I totally agree with you btw - looking forward to seeing him linking up with Jo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:18 pm 

Bastard wrote:

Only City fans could complain about having 2 Brazilian internationals in their team!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:19 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Ah but alera, he had some poor performances secong half of the season so he's clearly a flash in the pan who should never get into the team again etc etc etc.

I totally agree with you btw - looking forward to seeing him linking up with Jo.

So what would you call being shite for half the season with no apparent signs of a return to form? Promising?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:22 pm 

(1) FIrst Season - not used to playing so many games in such a competetive league
(2) WHole team was playing shit as well - unfair just to blame him.
(3) Carrying various injuries
(4) Played out of position reguarly.

Seriously if you think he is shit we have got big problems. Miles better player technically than Johnson / Ireland. If he is shit and a flash in the pan we are completley fucked as, aside from Petrov he is easily our most creative player.

I have plenty of confidence he will come good and that is saying something for me. Deadly on free kicks, dosnst miss penalties. Excellent finisher. Even playing crap for half a season he was still our top scorer. Like I said if he is a flash in a pan we are completely fucked I dont see many better players in our squad at the moment if I am perfectly honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 pm 

ESM wrote:
So what would you call being shite for half the season with no apparent signs of a return to form? Promising?

How can he have any sign of a return to form? We've had two pre-season games. Perhaps we should sell him? And Petrov/Hart/Dunne/Richards. Fuck it, flog the bastard lot of 'em. They were all turd after christmas and show no signs of a return to form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:28 pm 

I am getting really bored of saying this but what we actually need is a decent holding midfield player (Hamman 10 years ago) to do all the fetching and carrying so Elano and Johnson dont have too. PLus a right winger that is going to cause problems. THose 2 problem positions ruin our formation and take the best bits out of our best players game in midfield and upfront.

Quality players in those positions would transform our team completely IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:32 pm 

If city bought a couple of hard men to stop any opposition getting anywhere near me, I could play the creative role. Good players can do it under pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:37 pm 

True but then you are looking at Lampard / Gerrard type of players. Only a handful of them on the planet, cost the earth and impossible for teams like city to get anyway.

I really do think we are getting dilussions of grandueur if we think a player like Elano is not good enough for us. He would walk into any side outside the top 4 imo...

Even if we bring in the 4 or 5 quality players we are short we will still only be a top 10 - 6 side....I for one would be over the moon with that at the moment along with a period of sustained stability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm 

I'm expecting one last brilliant season from Hamann. Have a few looks at Gelson along the way, and if necessary look to bring in a midfield monster in jan or have the foundations laid to bring one in next summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm 

Bastard wrote:
I'm expecting one last brilliant season from Hamann. Have a few looks at Gelson along the way, and if necessary look to bring in a midfield monster in jan or have the foundations laid to bring one in next summer.

De Jong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm 

Would do nicely. WIll they sell him and can we afford him ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:50 pm 

ESM wrote:
I think he was a flash in the pan. - There, I've said it.

Can't agree mate. Think he is out and out quality and hopefully the right sort of players around him this season we will see him flourish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:01 pm 

Bastard wrote:

I heart Gelson but I think he's better going forward than in the Hamann role, we do need that midfield general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:02 pm 

ESM wrote:
I heart Gelson but I think he's better going forward than in the Hamann role, we do need that midfield general.

No way. He's a terrier. Best in the ankle biting role.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:05 pm 

Got Lucky wrote:
No way. He's a terrier. Best in the ankle biting role.

Yes he does put himself about, but he isn't the cool headed player that controls the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:07 pm 

ESM wrote:
Yes he does put himself about, but he isn't the cool headed player that controls the game.

Not yet, no. Need a cool head for playing through balls and finishing too, though.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:08 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Can't agree mate. Think he is out and out quality and hopefully the right sort of players around him this season we will see him flourish.

Totally agree. he is a class act. I think when he gets 100% fit he will be one of our top players. He has speed, skill, good close control and the ability to creatre chances. With the right players around him he should be able to shine. I'm looking forward to seeing him, Petrov, Jo, Bojinov,Ireland and Johnson as our front 6 players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 pm 

I got Elano on the back of my shirt last season.

Wish I never bothered now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next