Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: City to to sign Ben Haim
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 am 

FROM MEN

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1060010_city_set_for_5m_ben_haim_move

Quote:
TAL Ben-Haim is poised to become a City player by the middle of the week.

The 26-year-old Israeli international is expected to become the Blues' second signing of the summer once personal terms have been thrashed out.

It is understood a fee of around £5m has been agreed with Chelsea and the player has been offered in the region of £60,000 per week.

Ben-Haim, who shot to prominence in this country thanks to a successful stint at Bolton , has yet to agree to fit into City's wage structure but those close to him in London believe he is ready to sign a four-year deal that will put the heat on the current defenders at the cub.

It is inconceivable that manager Mark Hughes would pay so much for a player and not play him which puts the spotlight on Micah Richards and Richard Dunne, who has just signed a new contract.

Suspension

Captain Dunne will, of course, miss the opening two matches of the Premier League season through suspension leaving Ben-Haim to possibly make his debut at Villa.

Like England star Richards, the Israeli can also play at right-back which in turn would leave Vedran Corluka and Nedum Onuoha battling hard for a place in the team.

Capped 39 times by his country Ben-Haim played almost 150 times for Maccabi Tel Aviv before the then Bolton manager Sam Allardyce brought him to England and the Premier League in 2004.

He became one of Bolton's most durable and reliable performers, clocking up 88 starts in three years before he moved south.

His chances at Chelsea have been limited thanks to the form of John Terry and Carvalho and he made just 13 starts. He is set to become the second Israeli to play for City following in the footsteps of Eyal Berkovic.

What do you think of the deal? Have your say.

Completely gutted about this. Its way too much money for a very average player Chelsea got on a free a year ago and never player. £60k a week :eek:

I under stand we need cover in defence but we need a right winger left back and holding midfiled player much more than a centre half.

MEanwhile SWP goes to Pompey for a bargain £11 million. Things seem to be going very wrong with our transfer policy at the moment. £23 million and £120k a week plus for 2 playes in Jo and Ben HAim. Absolutely gutted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:53 am 

I think Haim is a decent player, be a useful squad man, which you need for an assault on europe. Still need a right sided player & a striker, and a back up keeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 am 

alera wrote:
FROM MEN

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1060010_city_set_for_5m_ben_haim_move

Completely gutted about this. Its way too much money for a very average player Chelsea got on a free a year ago and never player. £60k a week :eek:

I under stand we need cover in defence but we need a right winger left back and holding midfiled player much more than a centre half.

[color="Red"]MEanwhile SWP goes to Pompey for a bargain £11 million[/color]. Things seem to be going very wrong with our transfer policy at the moment. £23 million and £120k a week plus for 2 playes in Jo and Ben HAim. Absolutely gutted.

That's not a done deal yet is it? :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:55 am 

HEs not worth anything like £5milion and £60k a week. GOing to cause big plroblems with the younger players in the squad (Hart, Johnson etc)

All I will say is that they better sign the players we actiually need and quality ones at that as I am not at all happy with what we have brought in so far or the money thats been spent in the process.
Quote:
That's not a done deal yet is it?

No but it looks very likely. THey have the cash and he has said he wants to go their apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:56 am 

alera wrote:
HEs not worth anything like £5milion and £60k a week. GOing to cause big plroblems with the younger players in the squad (Hart, Johnson etc)

All I will say is that they better sign the players we actiually need and quality ones at that as I am not at all happy with what we have brought in so far or the money thats been spent in the process.

well no player is worth anything like what they are paid, or the transfer fees being paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 am 

:mad:

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:05 am 

He a decent player and good effective back up. Do we really want to start the season as the last one ended with a make shift back four with Elano at RB??? We need cover and please let's not forget that we're without Dunney for the opening few games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:07 am 

60k a week is fucked

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:08 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
60k a week is fucked

It's paper talk Miggs, no one knows what he's been offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 am 

This is true I am just wondering why we have not gone for someone like Samba at Blackburn. He agent has been all over the press saying hes available for £4 million, would certainly be on less wages.

I just never thought Ben Haim was that good too be honest and we weem to be overpaying for him big time.

THere is not doubt cover at the back is desirable but there is talk that there is not that much money available now and several positions that need cover urgently.

Its been made apparent he was on £50K a week at chelsea and he wouldnt move for a penny less. Thats been made very clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 am 

for f*ck sake, we dont need Ben Haim, i mean 5 million?? Why not put the money towards that taiwo he is class!! And we need a right mid!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 am 

Chelsea fans think he is a pile of **** Chelseas fan I spoke to was embarassed they had signed him in the first place. He was quite gutted we were getting him, wanted him moved out of the league altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am 

interesting quote i found,

If I knew Avram Grant was going to be the coach I would have signed for another club. It was Jose who brought me here and no one except he and I know the conversation we had when he tried to sign me the first time a year ago last January. The fact is while Jose was the coach I played most of the games and people who know me know that I would not have come here to be a reserve. I knew nothing good would come for me with Grant as Chelsea coach

so he doesnt like being a reserve? then why the fuck is he coming here?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:24 am 

^60k a week?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 am 

I'm all for it to be honest. Don't actually know where he's gonna fit in but we certainly need him for the start of the season while Dunne is suspended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 am 

Blue_Failsworth wrote:
I'm all for it to be honest. Don't actually know where he's gonna fit in but we certainly need him for the start of the season while Dunne is suspended.

Conker.

Hughes needs to build a squad, give us some depth. Fully fit we've got a half decent staring 11 other than the lack of a right winger and question marks at LB, but once we start picking up injuries and suspensions we look very fragile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 am 

ESM wrote:
Conker.

Hughes needs to build a squad, give us some depth. Fully fit we've got a half decent staring 11 other than the lack of a right winger and question marks at LB, but once we start picking up injuries and suspensions we look very fragile.

Exactly. With TBH and (hopefully) Taiwo we've got some good competition at the back.

PS. What's Conker mean?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 am 

Blue_Failsworth wrote:
Exactly. With TBH and (hopefully) Taiwo we've got some good competition at the back.

PS. What's Conker mean?!

Concur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41 am 

ESM wrote:
Concur.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 am 

Bassman, towards the start of the thread, said we needed a player like this, we needed a utility man. Furthermore, he said Haim would be good for the assault on Europe.

Bassman could not be more correct. We need cover. If we are to succeed in any trophy, be it Europe, League Cup or FA Cup, we are going to need players like Ben Haim, even if it is just for cover, because it is gonna be a goddamn long season, that's already started, albeit only against Streymour, but it has started, and now is the time we need to hit the ground running in preparation for our League assault.

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next