Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Javi Garcia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:44 pm 

Welcome to the club (son)

Quote:
Spain international Javi Garcia has signed for City for an undisclosed fee from Benfica.

Garcia brings extensive experience of the Champions League with him to Manchester, having made his competition debut for Real Madrid back in 2005.

A defensive midfielder by trade, the 25-year-old has been capped by the Spanish national team once, in a friendly against Serbia earlier this year.

Garcia began his career with Madrid, representing the La Liga side's B team 86 times before graduating to the first team.

He won the European U19 Championships with his country, playing alongside Juan Mata and Gerard Pique as they defeated Scotland in the final in Poland.

Four appearances followed before the deep-lying playmaker joined Osasuna for £3m in 2007 and it was at the El Sadar Stadium that Javi’s reputation soared thanks to his impressive performances as the club avoided relegation from La Liga.

This good form saw Real Madrid exercise their buy-back clause, returning the midfielder to the Santiago Bernabeu for the 2008/09 season where he made another 15 appearances as Real finished second to Barcelona.

Benfica then swooped for Garcia who became an instant hit in Lisbon, making 30 appearances in his first season and scoring three goals.

Garcia’s first silverware arrived in 2010 as the Eagles lifted the Portuguese title and he played an instrumental role in that success, supplying goals and assists as they also clinched Portugal's League Cup.

He added another couple of Portuguese League Cups in 2011 and 2012 to cement himself as a firm fans' favourite - something the Spaniard will hope to replicate with City.

Javi, the cousin of former Liverpool star Luis Garcia, was the final transfer deal of the summer for Roberto Mancini and will hope to play a part in City's first game after the international break, away to Stoke.

Garcia has chosen to wear the no.14 shirt.

Watch out for a video interview with the Blues' new signing over the weekend.

Post subject: Re: Javi Garcia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:52 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 pm 

Welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:31 pm 

This made me a bit excited, and slightly less sad about our Nige leaving..
Form BBC website..
Quote:
European football expert Andy Brassell:
"The signing of Javi Garcia is a coup for Roberto Mancini, and not nearly as expensive as it could have been at an initial £16m. With all due respect to Nigel de Jong, Garcia is a huge upgrade. Brought through the Real Madrid academy he is of good stock, but has improved his game tenfold since arriving in Lisbon. The 25-year-old is strong, good in the air, a good passer and has the adaptability to play at centre-back too. Perhaps the best aspect for City is that his power will allow Yaya Toure to be used further forward more often.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 pm 

Could turn out to be a great signing. Whoever the BBC had as their Portuguese/Spanish expert on 5Live tonight reckoned it was a great bit of business for us and practically a steal. He used a phrase to the extent of "he'll slot stright in where De Jong left, but he brings so much more to the team than De Jong" then went on to explain how he's an excellent passer of the ball who's also comfortable at centre half.

Plus he looks like he's been blacked up Enrique Iglesias. :approve:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 pm 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:
This made me a bit excited, and slightly less sad about our Nige leaving..
Form BBC website..
Quote:
European football expert Andy Brassell:
"The signing of Javi Garcia is a coup for Roberto Mancini, and not nearly as expensive as it could have been at an initial £16m. With all due respect to Nigel de Jong, Garcia is a huge upgrade. Brought through the Real Madrid academy he is of good stock, but has improved his game tenfold since arriving in Lisbon. The 25-year-old is strong, good in the air, a good passer and has the adaptability to play at centre-back too. Perhaps the best aspect for City is that his power will allow Yaya Toure to be used further forward more often.

Ah, that'd be the guy they had on 5Live. The legendary Andy Brasell. :arrow:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:11 am 

Bastard wrote:
Could turn out to be a great signing. Whoever the BBC had as their Portuguese/Spanish expert on 5Live tonight reckoned it was a great bit of business for us and practically a steal. He used a phrase to the extent of "he'll slot stright in where De Jong left, but he brings so much more to the team than De Jong" then went on to explain how he's an excellent passer of the ball who's also comfortable at centre half.

Roque out. New hottie in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:38 am 

Bastard wrote:

Plus he looks like he's been blacked up Enrique Iglesias.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:09 am 

Bastard wrote:

Boac...

Yep. Ssn are saying its good signing...
Young and dreamy...he'll be a hit here im sure..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 am 

Welcome to the club Kidder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:32 am 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Welcome to the club Kidder.

^^ This.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:40 pm 

Hi all, i'm from Portugal and i am a Benfica supporter. I'm going to follow Manchester City now because of him.
About Javi Garcia, what can i say is that he is worth much more than 20M€(i know you use £, but its easier for me this way) . In fact i would prefer that Benfica would accept the 90M€ offer(from Anzhi) for Witsel, Gaitan and Rodrigo than accept this one, but whats done its done.
Anyway, Javi Garcia is a f*cking beast on the field and more importantly, he has a stable life, and in 3 years, theres isnt a single news about him going out at night and stuff like that. I know he looks like a friggin pop star but he behaves like a man should. In time, and if he plays, you'll see than the money City spent is nothing compared to what he is worth.

;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 am 

I've just watched the interview on the OS.

Sounds like he doesn't put in a shift, says he's the type that leaves nothing on the pitch?????

Lazy c nt. :snooty:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 am 

He is ridiculously good looking. Good replacement for RSC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 am 

I would like to see Rodwell becoming a big player instead of this portuguesse playing in the starting xi.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 am 

erm, he's Spanish... or is that a swipe at Spain/ Portugal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 am 

Gobby wrote:
erm, he's Spanish... or is that a swipe at Spain/ Portugal

Alright well then it s different, i like him much more now but ffs he needs to be more aggresive in the duells.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 am 

I said on twitter before the game and not sure if i mentioned it here that game was man made for a De Jong type player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am 

Gallagheresque wrote:
I said on twitter before the game and not sure if i mentioned it here that game was man made for a De Jong type player.

Yup. We missed him big time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 pm 

Gobby wrote:
Gallagheresque wrote:

Yup. We missed him big time.[l

Another case of a players worth going up by not playing. Just like joe Cole's did at the last world cup and Adam Johnson at the euros.

I love him as much as the rest but not sure he would have made any difference last night. It was mainly on the wings we got mullered. cutting inside and shooting. He couldn't have been everywhere.