Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Get spending Hughesy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:51 pm 

Will this be the window that we finally get a much needed dedicated rw? How about the left back or the midfield general? We're constantly being linked with players left, right and centre.. but nothing materialises.. get your cheque book out Thaksin! Sooner rather than later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:54 pm 

ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:45 pm 

plusgood wrote:
ok

Because that was worth posting.. lol, atleast i have an excuse, i'm having a shit day and feel generally down :( lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:57 pm 

There will be talks going on now, there aren't many deals being completed anywhere, there's still a while left yet to see deals through. I have no doubt that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Just have a bit of patience. It's like we were spoilt last year bcause we signed so many players and everybody is expecting the same again, but we don't need that kind of activity again this year. Just be patient and i'm sure we'll see a couple of very good additions to the squad soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 pm 

i want shorey, bresciano (who we have been constantly linked with mainly in the sven days) and swp back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:02 pm 

city4evaneva wrote:
i want shorey, bresciano (who we have been constantly linked with mainly in the sven days) and swp back

I'd be happy with those 3. Wouldn't cost much either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:05 pm 

Shorey would be a good addition for the price, Bresciano maybe.. but SWP.. i just can't see him being the force he used to be for us.. Although i'd still welcome him back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:06 pm 

Ad_87 wrote:
Shorey would be a good addition for the price, Bresciano maybe.. but SWP.. i just can't see him being the force he used to be for us.. Although i'd still welcome him back.

course he would. but only if we played corluka at cb and richards down the right. they would be unstoppable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:10 pm 

Ad_87 wrote:

SWP at his best would be a major coup for us, he is still reasonably young and with games behind him he could get back to his best, He's never got a chance at Chelsea he's a confidence player and if somone like us shown faith in him I think we would reap in the rewards, Petrov on the left Sweep on the right, full backs would be shitting there selves everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

definetly, really help our team as ireland isnt a winger. i cant see how elano will fit into a flat 4-4-2? any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:19 pm 

city4evaneva wrote:
definetly, really help our team as ireland isnt a winger. i cant see how elano will fit into a flat 4-4-2? any help

I wonderd about this, With Johno and a DM (Hamman, Gelson or somone we buy)
he doesnt fit, Although against weaker teams we wont need a DM and so Elano would partner Johno. Against the best teams we may play 4 4 1 1 with Jo playing off Elano, he's difficult to fit in but worth the hassle as he's undoubtably a class player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:19 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
SWP at his best would be a major coup for us, he is still reasonably young and with games behind him he could get back to his best, He's never got a chance at Chelsea he's a confidence player and if somone like us shown faith in him I think we would reap in the rewards, Petrov on the left Sweep on the right, full backs would be shitting there selves everywhere.

Yeah, i'd love to see him back at City, but i still think he's somewhat soiled goods now though.. he'd be good but i can't see him regaining his past form with us..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:21 pm 

elano was subbed or started as a sub a fair bit last season. mainly due to fitness but i cant see him staying for long if he is not playing every week. but we cant afford not to play a dm and johnson is a certain place. and we need to play two up top as one clearly hasnt worked. looking forward to see bianchi and jo together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:35 pm 

I'd rather we didn't spend shitloads, but when we did spend it was on players that we actually needed. No point in buying expensively and them turning out to be shit

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:44 pm 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
I'd rather we didn't spend shitloads, but when we did spend it was on players that we actually needed. No point in buying expensively and them turning out to be shit

That's exactly it, we've got good foundations on which to build.. but we desperately need a right winger, a left back and a midfield general.. I think spending 19 million on an unknown is ridiculous... fair enough he looks great and he may well turn out to be exactly that, but it's risky.. we've needed an out and out goal scorer for seasons.. someone proven in the prem.. but season after season we make the same mistakes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:50 pm 

Bianchi never impressed me TBH, I'd much prefer to cash in on him now to get another striker off the books, along with Corradi. Some people can't wait to see the back of Vassell, I like him. At least he shows effort. We can play him down the right side as well if need be. People seem to be forgetting that we have just bought Benjani. I think it's only him, Jo, Bojinov, Vassell and Castillo that we need. I'd also like to see Ched Evans get a bit of a run in the team. Bring back SWP, get Ben Haim as centre back cover as well as a decent left back, maybe Zhirkov as that is a left winger as well as left back in one. I'd settle for Annan as the 'midfield general' as he will grow into a quality player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:41 pm 

Ad_87 wrote:
That's exactly it, we've got good foundations on which to build.. but we desperately need a right winger, a left back and a midfield general.. I think spending 19 million on an unknown is ridiculous... fair enough he looks great and he may well turn out to be exactly that, but it's risky.. we've needed an out and out goal scorer for seasons.. someone proven in the prem.. but season after season we make the same mistakes..

I'm sorry, but me and most of my rag mates had heard of him, and even the rag mates rate him

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 pm 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
I'm sorry, but me and most of my rag mates had heard of him, and even the rag mates rate him

Fair enough, can't say i had.. He looks great don't get me wrong, i just think 19 mill's steep for a striker who hasn't proved himself in the prem. We shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 pm 

Ad_87 wrote:
Fair enough, can't say i had.. He looks great don't get me wrong, i just think 19 mill's steep for a striker who hasn't proved himself in the prem. We shall see.

I suppose there a varying definitions of 'unknown'. I agree that there is trepidation over his lack of big league experience, but you can hardly dismiss a brazilian international.

The fact he was courted (alledgedly) by some so called bigger european names is good enough for me, and from what i can see, he is the poacher we've needed for a long time. Dare i say it in the Ruud Van Nistelrooy mould, and he was hardly a muppet was he....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:19 am 

torres wasnt a proven premiership striker when liverpool bought him. Truth is you have to unearth premier league talent not just buy it at inflated prices.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"