Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 am 

No great loss. Can we remove the comma in the title of this thread please? It's really annoying me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am 

I seem to recall, far away in the fog of the past, a lengthy ban during which he was still paid his salary.
That may have had something to do with him losing his place tbf...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
No great loss. Can we remove the comma in the title of this thread please? It's really annoying me.

This.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:54 am 

Manchester City's Kolo Touré says clubs victimise African players• Touré: Clubs discriminate against Africa Cup of Nations stars
• Centre-half feels City hold grudge against him

Tweet this

reddit this Daniel Taylor guardian.co.uk, Monday 5 December 2011 23.01 GMT Article history
Manchester City's Kolo Touré, right, has offered a withering assessment of his team-mate Stefan Savic. Photograph: Darren Staples/Reuters
Manchester City's problems with players talking themselves into trouble have resurfaced in the form of an outspoken attack from Kolo Touré in which he claims African players are the "victims of discrimination" in English football and alleges he has lost his place in Roberto Mancini's team because the club have a grudge against him for missing key matches to play for Ivory Coast.

Touré, removed as City's captain at the start of last season, also provides a withering assessment of Stefan Savic, the 20-year-old who was signed from Partizan Belgrade for £6m in the summer to provide extra competition for the centre-half places. "When you look at the performance of Savic [on his league debut] against QPR – excuse me, I'm relaxed."

However, it is when the former Arsenal captain talks about playing in next month's Africa Cup of Nations that his interview in the monthly French magazine So Foot takes a more sinister twist. Touré alleges it is held against African players who miss league fixtures because they are representing their country, stating that "it's going to get more and more difficult for us, the Africans".

"To compete in the ANC, it's catastrophic these days," he says. "Coaches no longer want to sign players because of it. I am convinced that, if I am not playing [for City], it's not only for football reasons. If it was only about the game, I'd be playing every week. I am the victim of that, and it has to be said."

Reflecting on the last tournament, Touré went on to speak of his belief that City had never forgiven him for missing almost a month of the season and not coming back as quickly as they wanted. "When I was in Angola for the ANC in 2010, the club hired a plane so that I could get back as soon as possible for a match against Manchester United [the Carling Cup semi-final second leg]. I couldn't get back in time and we lost. I believe that the club have not got past that, and I'm paying for it now."

The next tournament takes place in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon from 21 January to 12 February and Touré argues that clubs are against losing their players to it. His verdict is that "African players are the victims of discrimination".

When it comes to losing his place, a counter-argument could be made that Touré has not helped himself by testing positive for a banned substance, leading to the six-month ban that took him out of consideration until September. Joleon Lescott has become Vincent Kompany's regular centre-half partner and there is a strong sense behind the scenes that Touré's unusually outspoken comments lately reveal a player who is open to the idea of moving in the January transfer window.

Touré, never previously known as a dressing-room agitator, has talked of wanting to join Paris St-Germain and is known to have been angered by City's decision to take their own disciplinary action against him for the failed drugs test, with a six-week fine imposed. The 5-1 victory against Norwich City on Saturday was his first full game in the league this season and, though there have been four more starts in cup competitions, he has featured less than any of Mancini's three other central defenders.

Touré, however, seems distinctly unimpressed by the early impression left by Savic. "I know my qualities, I've got nothing to prove here in England, they know me here. Football's like that. It goes one way, then the other. The clubs at this level always have big squads. Look, I was the captain here. So was [Carlos] Tevez [who could join Milan in January after a complete breakdown in relations with Mancini] and he is no longer. Who would have thought that would happen?"

Mancini will be asked about Touré's comments when he holds a press conference on Tuesday to preview the crucial Champions League tie against Bayern Munich. In the meantime City's manager has learned that Aleksandar Kolarov will be out for a minimum of three weeks, but possibly twice that length, because of the groin injury the left-back suffered in the Carling Cup quarter-final at Arsenal last week. If City's worst fears are confirmed, Kolarov could miss as many as 10 matches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 am 

When in doubt whip the old race card out, nice work:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 am 

fucking hell, just properly read that. does he want to be ostracised or something? of course teams are put out by losing players mid-season for a month. to say that a grdge is borne out of it though is retarded - his form alone has dictated him being dropped, as lescott has looked far better than him, and he's not been fit enough after so long on the sidelines because he munched fucking diet pills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 am 

I have always questioned the reasoning behind signing a player who will be unavailable for games. The clubs are the employers and pay the players wages. So to have to release players for internationals when there are important club games being paid is going to result in conflict.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 pm 

I was interested to hear David Platt on the radio this morning and by what he was saying i can see Kolo starting tomorrow night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:11 pm 

essentially that frank. i'd also expect them to get a fucking shift on and get back for a cup semi-final, especially as at that point we hadn't won one for 30something years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
I was interested to hear David Platt on the radio this morning and by what he was saying i can see Kolo starting tomorrow night.

make him cup-tied for a laugh perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 pm 

He already played against Bayern last time, it was a Bridge-like performance at best tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm 

I don't think we'd want to get rid of him or do we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 pm 

Kolo Toure has been told he is still a key player at City after hinting he may seek a move next month.

Blues boss Roberto Mancini says that the Ivorian defender, who recently spoke of possibly leaving the club, has not asked for a transfer.

And with Paris St Germain watching the situation, Mancini said: “At the moment he’s never said this to me. He is part of my plans as he has never told me he wanted to leave.

“And I have never said to him ‘Kolo, you can leave’.”

Toure (pictured) lost his place to Joleon Lescott during his six-month ban for testing positive for a banned substance, an offence for which he also received a hefty club fine.

Until his recall for the 5-1 win over Norwich, he had made just three substitute appearances in the Premier League this season, and recently suggested he may have to go in the transfer window to get regular football.

But he returned for the Carling Cup win at Arsenal last week and kept his place on Saturday – now he is in Mancini’s thoughts for tomorrow night’s crunch with Bayern Munich, although Lescott is likely to regain his place.

Meanwhile, Kolo’s brother Yaya Toure has expressed his belief that Mancini is a better man-manager than his old boss Pep Guardiola, of Barcelona.

The midfielder said: “Mancini is closer to his players. He talks more than Guardiola. He calls you into his office and holds a quiet talk with you, listening more to what you’ve got to say.

“For example, it’s not easy to see Nasri or Aguero on the bench in Naples.

“And if you leave Balotelli on the bench, it is not an easy choice either.

“Or even Adam Johnson, who is a very good player. Everyone wants to play.

“Mancini shuffles and handles this perfectly without hurting anyone. On the other hand, Guardiola waits for moments of pressure to get closer to you. It is much of a wrong attitude, I feel.

“Of course, those who play in Barcelona today will not say anything, but ask those who are gone like Zlatan Ibrahimovic.”

City have denied reports that they have given AC Milan permission to speak to their AWOL striker Carlos Tevez.

The Blues have allowed Tevez’s representatives to seek an exit route from the club in next month’s transfer window, but no club has yet come up with a proposal for the player.

AC Milan have not contacted City, but do want Tevez on loan – something which the Blues will refuse to entertain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 pm 

Carling Cup and Europa league.
Subs bench for the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm 

It is time to test his juice .He is on something more then diet pill.
Blame your self ,Kolo and before you criticize the club ,take a good look at your brother.Before you criticize your fellow team mate look at your rusty form.
French connection? maybe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm 

wants to go to psg, talks to french paper expressing dissatisfaction, then denies all knowledge of interview.

has he been taking tips from teveth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:08 pm 

Taste his juice? Probally a few takers around here.