Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:17 pm 

we're going into the last 11 games with a 2 point cushion and having won 21 games out of 27 games it's safe to say that we've done very well up until now and no-one knows what the run in holds, but it will be interesting to see if any of the slip ups we've had so far could prove costly and if so which result might we most live to regret and could it have been easily avoided?

the main 3 i think of:
- did we have the wrong tactics when we were 2-0 up at Fulham?
- why did we put in such an inept performance at Everton?
- why did we make so many changes to the team at Sunderland?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19 pm 

your mother's positive pregnancy test result.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:15 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:

Ironically, it was actually negative.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 am 

Don't see what's wrong with this thread. It asks a good question. Unfortunately, there will always be times in a 38 game season that things don't go to plan. I think the Fulham result was silly, a game that we should have easily seen out and they've come back at us like that before. Sunderland: a travesty of a result that was not all our own doing. The one that would stick in my throat would be Everton. Mancini admitted afterwards that he felt it was his fault and that he hadn't prepared properly. Plus, Everton are a shit, boring team that everyone seemes to think they'd just won the league by beating us

Looking back, I'd even go as far as to say the two games against Napoli. You'd have thought Mancini would have had the inside info on them and their style of play and been able to adjust and set up his team accordingly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:

Easy :naughty:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 am 

I'm actually returning to my pre-season prediction that we'll finish second. Hope I'm wrong but we basically need to win every game now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 am 

I dare say the result we regret the most - should we fail to win the title - has yet to come.

Fact is we could finish the season on 90+ points and still not win the league - if that happened then honestly I'd struggle to blame our squad for under-performing as in many other seasons that would be a total that wins the league quite comfortably. Man United have continually ground out results, they've taken 6 points each from Arsenal and Spurs and 4 from Chelsea and Liverpool. On this season's form, it would take a meteoric effort to finish above them, but I think we've got it in us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:59 am 

We should never have drew 2-2 With Fulham from 2-0 up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 pm 

all three of those results arthur mentions may come back to haunt us, although i think the one at sunderland was the most remote-hurled-through-television inspiring of them. but i think darlo is spot on. the derby on the 30th could well be the vital game of the season... it would be fucking beautiful if winning that won us the league on the day - imagine trotting the trophy round in front of the bastards - but a draw or a win may be what maintains a slender gap between us and the rags that only counts on the final day.

and bbc's comment made me chortle, harsh but funny.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:59 pm 

No point regretting past results, we are after all 2 points in front. I still think United have it in them to lose some games, they just always seem to pull it out of the bag don't they?

Beating Chelsea and Arsenal is going to be very important.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
and bbc's comment made me chortle, harsh but funny.

that's all i was going for. nothing personal, just saw the opportunity for a joke. I honestly don't think we can regret too many results, we've done very well overall, it's just somehow United are doing better than they did last year as well with a worse squad. We hate him but Fergie's a fucking good manager.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:51 pm 

It's going to take at least 93 points to win the title this year I believe so there's little room for error. The derby may or may not decide it (there's a few potential banana skins between now and then). The jammy cnuts are picking up points even when they haven't played at all well so there's fuck all chance of them slipping up. We need to maintain our aura of invincibility at home leading up to the 30th for the players self belief as much as anything. If we're still perfect at home going into that game than I think we'll do it. As for the results we might live to regret take your pick between Sunderland, West brom or Fulham. To get only 2 points from those 3 games was a shade disappointing to say the least. More to the point there's been a few games lately where we could have and should have racked up the goals. Goal difference may yet play a part so I'd hope we can maintain the advantage there. I get the impression a lot of fans are starting to worry about the outcome ( unneccessarly in my opinion) I would hope that doesn't reverberate down onto the pitch. This is the closest we've been in my lifetime let's stay positive and let the rags worry about us for a change. Vincent says the players aren't feeling any pressure and that's good enough for me. :approve:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 pm 

A good post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:04 pm 

Never has "Every game's a cup final" been more appropriate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm 

well the only positive i can take away after this weekend, is maybe the pressure of united still winning forces our team to be concentrating on every single game. I'm sure the city players watched as Spurs out played United with ease yet were unable to score, once you united get that first goal spurs were all but done already. Without RVD and Bale, they lacked a goal threat, would have been nice for Ade to put one in.

Being this group of city players haven't been in this situation, i could see any of the games NOT against chelsea and Arsenal as potential lack of concentration games, maybe united keep the pressure just forces city to realize, we must win every game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:57 pm 

the next 10 games are crucial.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14 pm 

Must wins man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:27 pm 

arthur7171 wrote:
we're going into the last 11 games with a 2 point cushion and having won 21 games out of 27 games it's safe to say that we've done very well up until now and no-one knows what the run in holds, but it will be interesting to see if any of the slip ups we've had so far could prove costly and if so which result might we most live to regret and could it have been easily avoided?

the main 3 i think of:

Everton and Sunderland......
but hey why are you throwing your white hanky ? Don't you have any faith in our team and our manger ?
Go city :pray:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm 

Hi-lo fi wrote:
arthur7171 wrote:

the main 3 i think of:

Everton and Sunderland......
but hey why are you throwing your white hanky ? Don't you have any faith in our team and our manger ?
Go city :pray:

It's away :character-oldtimer:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:22 am 

:clap: