Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:15 am 

typical fucking munichs

Rio Ferdinand says Manchester United would not tolerate City's sulks• Ferdinand implies criticism of Manchester City's James Milner
• Team spirit an 'Old Trafford unwritten rule', says United man

Tweet this Daniel Taylor The Guardian, Thursday 14 April 2011 Article history
Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand, top, insists team spirit and harmony are strong at Old Trafford. Photograph: Jon Super/AP
Rio Ferdinand has offered an insight into the reasons for Manchester United's success by speaking of the togetherness he believes would prevent one of Sir Alex Ferguson's current players from emulating James Milner's reaction after being substituted in Manchester City's defeat at Liverpool on Monday.

"You don't see anyone come off the pitch shaking their head, being disgruntled, or sitting on the bench in a sulk at this club," Ferdinand said. "It won't happen here because everyone is delighted to play for this club and they want to be here. The moment you show a bit of dissent like that, the manager pulls rank, and rightly so."

The defender stopped short of naming Milner but the inference was clear at a time when Ferguson's players seem to be in a considerably stronger frame of mind than Roberto Mancini's going into Saturday's FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

Joe Hart summed up the atmosphere at Eastlands in the wake of their 3-0 defeat at Anfield – "We're all fed up," the City goalkeeper said – and Milner's fit of pique when he was withdrawn did not feel completely incongruous given some of the dressing room problems that Mancini has encountered this season.

Milner is aggrieved that he has not been used in the attacking central midfield role in which he previously operated for Aston Villa, with Mancini generally preferring Yaya Touré. The England international made little secret of his displeasure, angrily shaking his head and throwing his armband to the floor, and behind the scenes at Old Trafford a comparison has been made with Michael Owen's very different reaction to being on the edges of the United team.

Owen has legitimate reasons to be frustrated himself, restricted to only one Premier League start in the season that his contract expires and not even on the bench for either leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Chelsea. Nonetheless, it was noted that the former England striker made a point of congratulating his team-mates on his Twitter page after the match.

Cristiano Ronaldo tested Ferdinand's theory during his years as United's star player, making a public show of his annoyance about being substituted in one match, but Ferdinand believes that was a one-off. "It just comes from a respect for the manager, the club itself and the people who were here before you," the defender said. "It's an unwritten rule at this club. You see it in the changing room before games. There are no cliques. People are wishing each other well before games, even if someone else is playing in your position. That's just the way we are."

Ferdinand was limping badly throughout long spells of the Chelsea game but has declared himself fit for the weekend. Ferguson, however, may still feel it is a suitable moment to bring in Chris Smalling to face a City side that will almost certainly be deprived of their leading scorer, Carlos Tevez.

Edin Dzeko is on standby because of the Argentinian's hamstring injury, but Ferdinand was careful not to say it worked to United's advantage. "You don't spent £27m on a player who is average. Dzeko is a good player, he's played Champions League football for a few years and he's won the league in Germany, so he's a good player. We won't be underestimating him."

The better news for City is that Micah Richards has returned to full training, having initially been ruled out of the semi-final because of his own hamstring tear. Tevez's absence is also balanced in part by Wayne Rooney's suspension, the striker consigned to the role of spectator because of his expletive-filled outburst into a pitch-side camera during the recent 4-2 win at West Ham United.

Rooney's anger about that ban now appears to have made way for a form of begrudging acceptance. "I didn't realise what I had done. It was just emotion – a release, if you like, from scoring the three goals that got us in the lead. But, of course, it was wrong of me and I accept my punishment. You just have to move on. Hopefully the boys can pull through for me on Saturday and get to that FA Cup final."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am 

Well, if the wereduck says so, it must be true. They certainly disguised shrek's teamspirit enhancing escapades earlier in the year pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 am 

Markered Man wrote:
Well, if the wereduck says so, it must be true. They certainly disguised shrek's teamspirit enhancing escapades earlier in the year pretty well.

Superb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
Superb.

Lol, very good:)

I've lost a lot of respect for Milner since that tbf, I always considered him the modern pro. He was absolutely diabolical in that match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am 

EalingBlue wrote:

I've lost a lot of respect for Milner since that tbf, I always considered him the modern pro. He was absolutely diabolical in that match.

Aye. No excuse for a tantrum when you've had a bad game, and not a particularly good season either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:51 am 

Rio Ferdinand is a twat.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am 

concur.

he also rapes and murders children.

[color="White"](allegedly)[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am 

No smoke without fire IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 am 

he's a twat

his banning for [S]going shopping in the trafford centre[/S] forgetting he had a drugs test did wonders for team morale if i remember

plus, he tweets

knob

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am 

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Interviews/FA-Cup-preview-Dzeko-ready-for-United

Dzeko Ready for The match:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 am 

Elmedin2640 wrote:

Indeed he is.......

"Come on Edin, take your best shot!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 pm 

Nemanja Vidic believes that Carlos Tevez's unavailability does not mean Manchester United will gain an advantage over Manchester City.

The two sides meet in the semi-final of the FA Cup at Wembley on Saturday, and the Argentine is likely to be sidelined for the encounter due to a hamstring injury he sustained against Liverpool.

His immediate replacements, Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko, are both currently experiencing a goal drought, as the Italian has not scored in seven games while the former Wolfsburg man is yet to find the net in the Premier League since his January move to Eastlands.

But Vidic appears to be in no mood to underestimate the quality that the two forwards possess.

"I don’t think it is an advantage for us that City are unlikely to have Carlos Tevez fit,” he said, according to the Manchester Evening News.

"They have quality players up front. We never underestimate any players we play against. We respect them all.

"Tevez is a quality player but so are Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli. It is going to be difficult.

"Balotelli is a good player. He has good ability, is good with the ball and is strong. All players need time to adapt but he has shown good quality."

The Serbia international also said that there is a big difference in Dzeko and top scorer Tevez's styles of play.

"Dzeko and Tevez are not the same player," Vidic said. "Obviously Dzeko is a goalscorer who looks to play in the box and get on the end of crosses.

"He is a target man whereas Tevez likes to play on the ball and he comes deep. They are different.

"But they are both dangerous. You have to adapt to any danger an opponent poses and focus on that."

He added: “I couldn’t say there is any particular striker you like to play against," said the former Spartak Moscow man. "Whoever they are, if you give them half a chance they can score a goal.

"I wouldn’t say one player is easier to play against than another. Tevez or Balotelli or Dzeko? I couldn’t give you an answer as to which one is easier to play against."

But irrespective of who takes to the pitch on Saturday, the defender admits that the sole aim will be to get past their opponents and win the FA Cup.

And Vidic also hopes to complete his domestic medal collection, which already sees him having won Premier League, League Cup and Community Shield medals.

"A few players at United haven’t won the FA Cup. That is a big target for us," Vidic added.

"But this is a big target for City as well. They will be motivated. Manchester City have an obsession about winning a trophy. They want to win their first trophy after the big money they have spent.

"It will be a difficult game. It will be very aggressive and tight. It is all about winning trophies for us now. It is not about how you play, it is about winning something. We have the momentum."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 pm 

found it on Goal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:46 pm 

Vidic can take his opinion, role it up and shove it up ferdinands ring piece

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm 

tbh that's a fair interview.

and of all the munichs vidic is one i don't mind. mainly because he'd fit in wonderfully alongside tusko in some kind of gladiatorial combat scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:07 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:

I have theories* that he was more taking a tantrum about how bad he was that the decision to sub him, like "fuck, I am so shit, I am letting everyone down"

*hopes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:14 pm 

you're invisible hoges, is this intentional?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm 

I am? I didn't even realise. I thought I'd changed that back ages ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm 

you're not anymore but you were

and you were really here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm 

This forum has changed so much since I've been gone, I actually feel like a somewhat senor member, which is a terrifying thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next