Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Lawro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
And United will think 'God, if only we hadn't dropped points to Newcastle, Blackburn and Wigan, we'd be well clear'. This media narrative where United winning the league would be solely due to City's incompetence is really starting to grind.

I know he was being reckless but I don't think the Arsenal game was a case of Balotelli not trying to pull in the same direction as the team - more a case of him not being able to tackle very well. It's odd how there's so much of a witch-hunt now when only three months ago he was apparently many non-City fans' favourite City player. Admittedly Lawro and Hansen have always hated him, but then Balotelli isn't Liverpudlian, is he?

yep. balotelli has gone from amusing man-child to malicious twat in a remarkably short time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 am 

Lawro's thoughts on the big match:

Manchester City v Manchester United (2000 BST)
Continue reading the main story

“Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson knows that if his side do not lose this game, then they are still in the box seat in the title race”

I think the best thing that has happened to Manchester City in the last few weeks has been Mario Balotelli's sending off against Arsenal on Easter Sunday because that meant Carlos Tevez had to be chucked in.

I don't think manager Roberto Mancini was sure whether to start Tevez, but he has had no option. And he and his Argentina team-mate Sergio Aguero have clicked as a partnership, and the goals have been flowing.

I cannot see there being too many goals on Monday night, although there will be an incredible atmosphere at Etihad Stadium.

City have to win and, with 16 wins and one draw out of 17 home league games this season, they have an outstanding home record.

But Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson knows that if his side do not lose this game, then they are still in the box seat in the title race.

So I do not see Ferguson playing two strikers or, if he does, Wayne Rooney will be in a withdrawn role. You want him in midfield, because he sees everything and can play a killer ball for the likes of Danny Welbeck, as well as get on the end of them himself.

But they will still use their width, and still look to get men forward.

I see Ferguson treating this match like a Champions League group game, where they need a point. The way to get it against good sides is to always pose a threat, otherwise they just pile forwards at you and you cannot get out of your own half.

Balotelli is back from his ban, of course, but there is no way Mancini will be starting him. I can see him being on the bench, though, because the thing about him is that not even he knows what he is going to do next.

If, with 10 or 15 minutes to go, Mancini whispers in his ear and says 'Mario you owe me a massive favour' he might just make a difference. Even then he might just come on and sulk, though!

I think the problem with him is when you start with him because, if the passes to him are not inch-perfect, it seems like he cannot be bothered and that sets the tone for the rest of the night.

Prediction: 1-1
-----------------------------
Clive Woodward has gone for 2-0 to City.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17852284
Woodward, who had a much less successful stint when he turned to football during a brief spell as Southampton's performance director in 2005, is backing Manchester City to beat their neighbours Manchester United in Monday's mammoth match, and replace them at the top of the Premier League table.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:05 am 

v QPR

Manchester City need a win to make certain of winning the Premier League title - and I think they will get it.

What has won them the title? The fact that, come the business end of the season, their really top players have lived up to their pedigree. If they do see off QPR, it will be their sixth successive win - anything less and they would finish up empty-handed.

Their manager, Roberto Mancini, has done really well in trying circumstances and it is no coincidence that for that run of wins, Mario Balotelli has been nowhere near the team.

Is it the first of many titles? Definitely. City's owners are not going away and they are only going to make the team stronger.

It adds to the spice of the occasion that it is former City manager Mark Hughes going back to Etihad Stadium, needing a point to keep QPR up.

It makes me laugh that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has all of a sudden become Hughes's best mate this week when they spent most of the time verbally battering each other when Hughes was in charge of City.

Hughes signed quite a few of the City players who have been key to their title bid, like Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott, Gareth Barry and Pablo Zabaleta.

The way he was sacked - when news of his exit broke ahead of a home game against Sunderland in December 2009 but wasn't confirmed until after the final whistle - means he will have a point to prove on Sunday, especially since he was on course to meet the points targets he had been set.

Basically, City's owners decided he wasn't their man. Although he wasn't the man to win them their first Premier League title, he definitely laid a few foundations.

I don't think QPR are capable of defending well enough for 90 minutes to get a draw but I think they will get beaten and stay up because, for them to go down, Bolton need to win at Stoke and I just cannot see Wanderers doing it.

Prediction: 2-0

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:35 pm 

thank you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm 

Quote:
Mark Lawrenson to have 'reduced role' on Match of the Day• BBC confirms pundit will appear on show less this season
• Ian Wright to present 606 radio phone-in show
Share 119
inShare.0Email Press Association
theguardian.com, Thursday 1 August 2013 15.51 BST Jump to comments (23)
The BBC has announced that Mark Lawrenson will have a ‘reduced role’ on this season’s Match of the Day. Photograph: Mike Egerton/Empics Sport/PA Photos
The BBC has signed up the former Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright to present its 606 radio phone-in football show and has confirmed that the veteran pundit Mark Lawrenson will have a "reduced role" on Match of the Day in the coming season.

Wright will present the 606 show on Sunday nights on Radio Five along with Kelly Cates, daughter of Kenny Dalglish.

Match of the Day will maintain a familiar look with Alan Hansen – set to leave after next year's World Cup – and Alan Shearer as the main pundits alongside the presenter Gary Lineker.

The BBC also announced Gus Poyet, Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Michael Owen, Robbie Savage and Vialli would be among the ex-player experts.

Lawrenson's role was not mentioned in the BBC's media release but a spokeswoman confirmed he would be appearing less than in previous seasons. She said: "He will still be part of the Match of the Day team, but he will have a reduced role."

Mark Chapman will take over as presenter of MOTD2 and Jason Mohammad will present a new look Final Score on Saturdays on BBC One.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:11 pm 

reduced role fir his reduced brain...
fat bob fowler is alright. ..lets see what he can do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:06 pm 

The BBC also announced Gus Poyet, Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Michael Owen, Robbie Savage and Vialli would be among the ex-player experts.

Most barely speak English, and im not talking about Vialli or Poyet!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 pm 

His hair.

My god, his hair. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28