Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
i thought that was a tactical move to let elano wander more and let corluka move up the right flank? but then he did take off elano. why did the commentator say etuhu has had a great preseason and then say it again and again. has he? when?

The commentator also talked about the personality of the team. Tbf, I can talk corporate bullshit like a good un, but even I wouldn't have had the nerve to say that,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:45 am 

blackburn went out to larissa last season. are they better than midgetand? i think it's hughes who is incompetent. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:49 am 

Benny wrote:
The commentator also talked about the personality of the team. Tbf, I can talk corporate bullshit like a good un, but even I wouldn't have had the nerve to say that,

I didnt hear him say that. What a twunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am 

Was extremely gutted last night, but post cider binge I'm feeling more optimistic. We beat Milan last week largely because we were four weeks ahead of them in our preperations. Last night we lost largely cos Midgetland were four weeks ahead of us. That's not making excuses, as we still should have enough to win. Maybe we should have arranged more friendlies, I dunno, but in two weeks time it'll be more of level playing field in terms of fitness and our quality should show. It better had.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:57 am 

Leading up to the game i was worried that we'd shit on our chips just like we did against Lokeren and Groclin a few years ago.

So i wasn't surprised when we went a goal down.

We didn't look fit or sharp early on and they did. They had a 20 minute spell where they looked good and they made us pay with a goal. We had a 70 minute spell where we were the better team and we didn't score.

Same old problems really - no outlet on the right, which makes us far too reliant on Petrov. Other teams know this. No tenacity or experience in central midfield. Surely Richards deserves a shot to add a little bit of bite. Maybe play Hamman alongside him for a while until Richards makes defensive midfield his own. That'd mean we could only play with one upfront but seen as though all our decent strikers are either injured or inexperienced, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

And finally, can somebody please explain to me what the fuss is about Michael Johnson? Other than a handful of decent games at the start of last season and a slight resemblence to Colin Bell, i don't see what the fuss is about. He doesn't seem capable of passing, he's not that quick, he isn't strong, he very rarely beats a man. His link up with Elano isn't effective because we don't have an outlet on the right to stretch their defence or
midfield. Everything is so congested and we continually get squeezed out.

Positves are that we are a very young team and Sturridge looked bright for about 60 minutes, Etuhu looked quite lively and his crossing was decent-ish for a change. Richards looked good, as did Charlie.

I'm sure a few of you will think i'm being harsh and a i know a lot rate Johnson. I know he does a lot of good things that aren't particularly obvious. Just at the minute, his decision making, final ball and shooting are all pretty bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:59 am 

[quote="ono"]Leading up to the game i was worried that we'd shit on our chips just like we did against Lokeren and Groclin a few years ago.

We didn't look fit or sharp early on and they did. They had a 20 minute spell where they looked good and they made us pay with a goal. We had a 70 minute spell where we were the better team and we didn't score.

Same old problems really - no outlet on the right, which makes us far too reliant on Petrov. Other teams know this. No tenacity or experience in central midfield. Surely Richards deserves a shot to add a little bit of bite. Maybe play Hamman alongside him for a while until Richards makes defensive midfield his own. That'd mean we could only play with one upfront but seen as though all our decent strikers are either injured or inexperienced, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

And finally, can somebody please explain to me what the fuss is about Michael Johnson? Other than a handful of decent games at the start of last season and a slight resemblence to Colin Bell, i don't see what the fuss is about. He doesn't seem capable of passing, he's not that quick, he isn't strong, he very rarely beats a man. His link up with Elano isn't effective because we don't have an outlet on the right to stretch their defence or

Positves are that we are a very young team and Sturridge looked bright for about 60 minutes, Etuhu looked quite lively and his crossing was decent-ish for a change. Richards looked good, as did Charlie.

I'm sure a few of you will think i'm being harsh and a i know a lot rate Johnson. I know he does a lot of good things that aren't particularly obvious. Just at the minute, his decision making, final ball and shooting are all pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:02 am 

ono wrote:
Leading up to the game i was worried that we'd shit on our chips just like we did against Lokeren and Groclin a few years ago.

We didn't look fit or sharp early on and they did. They had a 20 minute spell where they looked good and they made us pay with a goal. We had a 70 minute spell where we were the better team and we didn't score.*

I'm sure a few of you will think i'm being harsh and a i know a lot rate Johnson. I know he does a lot of good things that aren't particularly obvious. Just at the minute, his decision making, final ball and shooting are all pretty bad.

Agree on pretty much all of this.

* easy to forget this when you get so frustrated watching us work the ball forward and have no invention around the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:11 am 

No great surprise in the result or performance for me. Young team, a bit patched up. Maybe the odd puzzling selection, but it wasn't all bad - at least there were some positives. I remember several matches from last season where we played considerably worse.

As GU said, we should be in better shape in a fortnight's time. Hopefully the fact that we have to go there and win will give us more impetus from the start and avoid the sluggish opening we saw last night.

I suspect we won't go through, possibly despite a valiant effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:14 am 

Bastard wrote:
No great surprise in the result or performance for me. Young team, a bit patched up. Maybe the odd puzzling selection, but it wasn't all bad - at least there were some positives. I remember several matches from last season where we played considerably worse.

As GU said, we should be in better shape in a fortnight's time. Hopefully the fact that we have to go there and win will give us more impetus from the start and avoid the sluggish opening we saw last night.

I suspect we won't go through, possibly despite a valiant effort.

And although I'd prefer that we did it's actually not a bad thing. Embarassing more than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:17 am 

I was thinking about you an hour ago DS.

Its a rather lovely sunny morning in Manc and i was sat by Salford docks looking out over the water and watching a big fuck-off barge go by. I thought its probably very similar to your life. i could live like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 am 

Bastard wrote:
I was thinking about you an hour ago DS.

Its a rather lovely sunny morning in Manc and i was sat by Salford docks looking out over the water and watching a big fuck-off barge go by. I thought its probably very similar to your life. i could live like that.

You've met my girlfriend?

As for living around waterways and watercraft, very bloody enjoyable, totally agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:29 am 

Benny wrote:
I can forget it all. Sharron davies in shorts. That'll do for me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1045156/Sharron-Davies-defies-great-BBC-Olympic-cover---shows-amazing-legs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:08 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:

I went I'm normally optimistic but last night was an absolute disgrace, hopefully we'll make up for it Sunday and in the next leg but if we play anything like that we've got no chance