Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
Just got in and gutted at the performance.
First half was pants..2nd to every ball and nobody taking charge and getting on the ball.
Dunnie was absolute pants look half asleep at times..petrov was wasting it too much.
And the denish boys looked alive and hungry, their no 9 had a decent game really..

Gonna be a tough game away...

FC Groclin anybody.?

I'd agree with all of that except Petrov 'wasting it', he was our only player worth 9/10 tonight. Petrov was our only real source of invention, Elano was good and failed at final ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Absolute rubbish, watch it again, he was covering two strikers, the one Dunne had lost and his man. Watch it again.

I am not being agressive towards you Dave, serious, but watch it again and tell me Ben Haim wasn't a one legged man in an arse kicking competition.

Concur. Goal was dunney's fault. End of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:17 pm 

Benny wrote:
Concur. Goal was dunney's fault. End of.

It's time for Dunne to leave or play second string, we need a CH with distribution among his quiver.

Bring on any fuckwit who says otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Ben Haim at left back. Could this be the future. Please God, yes. If Ben Haim turns out to be great at left back our defence is then sorted.

That is a regretful comment after tonights showing. Ben-Haim had a bit of a shocker at left-back, despite a promising start.
Only positives really were johnno and richards, even dunney had a shocker by his standards. Elano good, petrov looked bright, but not good enough as a team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm 

There was a lot wrong tonight and a lot of reasons why.
For some reason English teams rarely hit the ground running at this stage of the season so playing European qualifying games in August will always throw up performances and results like this.
Liverpool struggled badly last night and were lucky to come away with a draw. Arsenal were outplayed for much of the match and sneaked a win. Qualifying for these UEFA Cup games is a poisoned chalice and it doesn't mean City are crap. Yes they played crap and too many players were seriously off the pace but chances are we wouldn't have gone very far in this competition even if we'd trounced tonight's oppostion. Teams have to learn how to play in Europe and City are at the blunt end of that learning process. Doing well in the league and avoiding these kind of games will see us doing better in the long term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I'd agree with all of that except Petrov 'wasting it', he was our only player worth 9/10 tonight. Petrov was our only real source of invention, Elano was good and failed at final ball.

From where i was elano looked like he just hated being out on the right, then when he started to come in a little he had more of a say in the matter.

Petrov in the first half was right in front of us ,and until about 30 minutes in he never had a run at the leftback, and once he did, he put quality in the box.
For sure he was one of the best outta the bunch..

caciedo was absolute pants, why boji did'nt start i don't know..
He was getting stuck in when he came on and looked a threat..

Ahh just one of those frustrating evenings i guess..

were gonna have to improve and have santa claus up front to get any further now..
tall order now..

City till i die..:rolleyes:

Im off to bed now...night all.!!
Edit:
Have to say i thought ben hiam looked decent tonight, pretty solid performance at left back..dunnie was at fault for the goal as i saw it..
but he supported petov, even though the passing was all over the place. but everyone was at that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 pm 

What was Caicedo playing at? He's quick and strong, why doesn't he use it to beat defenders, and play off their shoulder. I think Hamann could've helped us today, he keeps calm and would have been a good influence on the productive, yet frustrated Johnson. We missed Vassell tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 pm 

hesherehesthere wrote:
What was Caicedo playing at? He's quick and strong, why doesn't he use it to beat defenders, and play off their shoulder. I think Hamann could've helped us today, he keeps calm and would have been a good influence on the productive, yet frustrated Johnson. We missed Vassell tonight.

The Good: Richards, Johnson (at times), Bojinov, Petrov
Average: Elano, Sturridge, Fernandes, Hart (can't be blamed), Corluka
The Bad: Dunne, Ben-Haim
And The Absolutely Shocking: FELIPE CAICEDO!!!

Whatever possesed Eriksson to pay £5million for him i will never know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 pm 

Old Ed wrote:
For some reason English teams rarely hit the ground running at this stage of the season so playing European qualifying games in August will always throw up performances and results like this.
Liverpool struggled badly last night and were lucky to come away with a draw. Arsenal were outplayed for much of the match and sneaked a win. Qualifying for these UEFA Cup games is a poisoned chalice and it doesn't mean City are crap. Yes they played crap and too many players were seriously off the pace but chances are we wouldn't have gone very far in this competition even if we'd trounced tonight's oppostion. Teams have to learn how to play in Europe and City are at the blunt end of that learning process. Doing well in the league and avoiding these kind of games will see us doing better in the long term.

Well said man, spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:31 pm 

Old Ed wrote:

We're not out of it yet.
But we've left ourselves a hell of a lot to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 pm 

went tonight and i reckon it was just a bad day at the office.We'll put it right in denmark.seen caiscedo several times now.what the fuck did sven see in him:eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:34 pm 

davepat123 wrote:
The Good: Richards, Johnson (at times), Bojinov, Petrov
Average: Elano, Sturridge, Fernandes, Hart (can't be blamed), Corluka
The Bad: Dunne, Ben-Haim
And The Absolutely Shocking: FELIPE CAICEDO!!!

Whatever possesed Eriksson to pay £5million for him i will never know!

Apologies if I'm the only one who thinks this, but I think if had made a move or a dive for the ball, he'd of got there. He was far too arrogant and just though "Oh well, we'll get it back" He panicked toward the end and desperately wanted the goal.
The whole team were arrogant and gave Midtjylland far too little respect.

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:48 pm 

Getting two clear goals over there is going to be beyond difficult with the forwards we have availble. We dont do that well under pressure when we have to perform :(

As predicted the press are having a field day already. The amount of glee and excitement. Whipping themselves up into a frenzy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:48 pm 

Well i been reading all the posts and got up to page 26 then i got a tad bored:D, Anyways, First half Shite second half slightly better ( but ever so slightly mind) also does anyone find it slightly amusing that 3-4 months ago we had about 10-11 strikers at the club and now were struggling??? I do believe that we should have had a penalty their in the first half against Caicedo, clearly the defender had his arm round him. I have a feeling we will do em at thier ground, also nice to see Dunne almost get his first OG of the season. I still predict he'll at least get 2 this season:cool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17