It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Villa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 pm 

Anyone going?

Or will I be on my tod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:29 pm 

Apologies if this isn't the correct place (Villa fan here) but I was just wondering what you'd expect your starting XI to be against us next week? I've heard you have a few injuies - and picked up a few knocks today - and there's a few players linked with moves away (Corluka and Ireland?) and I thought you'd be a little wiser on what kind of team you'd be putting out than I am. Anyways, thanks for any responses and best of luck with your UEFA Cup game on Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:35 pm 

Hi Villa fan and welcome.

Truth is that your guess is as good as ours right now.

If fit I'd say Bojinov up front although Sturridge has been brilliant pre season.

What about Villa then, top six this season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 pm 

kurtsimonw wrote:
Apologies if this isn't the correct place (Villa fan here) but I was just wondering what you'd expect your starting XI to be against us next week? I've heard you have a few injuies - and picked up a few knocks today - and there's a few players linked with moves away (Corluka and Ireland?) and I thought you'd be a little wiser on what kind of team you'd be putting out than I am. Anyways, thanks for any responses and best of luck with your UEFA Cup game on Thursday.

Cheers. Yeah we have quite a few problems for sunday. Dunne suspended, Corluka to spurs, Micha picked up a knock and same with petrov and vass. Jo is away with brazil and benjani is injured ireland looks like he is signing for sunderland for 5m. Your likely to see the youngest starting line up in the prem ever on sunday. And I thought it couldn't get as worse as it was towards the end of the season....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:45 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
Anyone going?

Or will I be on my tod?

You want a meetup Mrs W?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:47 pm 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
Hi Villa fan and welcome.

Truth is that your guess is as good as ours right now.

If fit I'd say Bojinov up front although Sturridge has been brilliant pre season.

What about Villa then, top six this season?

Shame with these troubles at City, much rather have you doing well than the likes of Spurs and Pompey.

Thought you looked fairly decent today and a very nicely taken goal from Bojinov.

Top 6? If we're lucky. I think we over-acheived last season to be honest and we went out of both Cup competitions very early, so the league was all we had to concentrate on. But now with Europe.. well, we've only played 2 games and it's put one of our players out for 6 months, so our small squad will probably be our curse. I predict us 7th with a good run in one of the cups, as long as we make it back into Europe next season, I'll be happy.

I think I predicted City finished 9th myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:55 pm 

We'd probably settle for 9th right now tbh but always hopeful for better.

Think you're right about your squad, it is a bit light but all down to injuries I guess.

Must admit I was doubtful about Randy Lerner (sp?) but he seems a good bloke for the long term. You happy with him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 pm 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
We'd probably settle for 9th right now tbh but always hopeful for better.

Think you're right about your squad, it is a bit light but all down to injuries I guess.

Must admit I was doubtful about Randy Lerner (sp?) but he seems a good bloke for the long term. You happy with him?

Couldn't be happier. I'm only 20 myself, but even I was getting of Ellis, and I'm generally a patient, positive fan. So I can't imagine wha it's like for the older Villa fans! Randy came in and has done wonders with the club, not just giving MON the money to spend, but he built a new training ground, done up the Holte pub, donations to charities, etc. I wasn't sure at first after the Glazer takeover of that horrible club down the road from you, but he's certainly better than them.

What do you think of Shinawatra? I'll be honest and say I think he's a complete dick, can't stand him. I know he's put a bit of money into the club, but he seems to be causing massive trouble here, it just isn't right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:16 pm 

Sorry, another nosy Villa fan here!
Randy is the best any football fan could hope for.
He bought the club with his own money, funded the brand new training facilities(which ellis abandoned due to cost).
He's undertaken a series of intitiatives which other fans might not have heard of (or noticed) such as renovating the Holte Pub(by the holte end, left derelict) and opening it to season ticket holders, paying for a mosiac to be added above the holte end (reminiscent of the one sadly lost in the stand reconstruction, if youre ever at VP I urge you to take a look, its beautiful), paid for rotating TV boards in VP carparks, paid for the upgrade of some of the commercial suites at the ground. Initiated a fan driven programme for a giant flag to be passed around at games, etc etc etc. All moves which improve Villa Park as a day out and as a commercial operation which would suggest hes in for the long run. Not to mention the Acorns childrens charity idea!
On the pitch, he has (if what were led to believe is true) told martin he has financial backing to make any player purchases he wants at any cost, including flying over from american to meet with Barry & his agent regarding his 'move'. Whether Villa fans or other fans believe this is up to them, my personal view is that its MON who is picky about players!
In the press, Randy refuses to be called out or do interviews, a matter which frustrates me personally a little, but is an understandable policy. He communicates to the fans through a non executive director who posts once a day on some Villa messageboards.

*edit*
Damn you kurt youve beat me too it, im gona post this anyway as it took me ages!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:28 pm 

The Holte End pub refurb is a great piece of work and really shows the bloke is in tune with the fans in a way that Deadly Doug never was.

You ever heard "Holt End Hotel" by Stephen Duffy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:45 pm 

I've not heard it before, no.

By the way, it's nice to see that not every opposition forum I go on is full of tossers. I went on a Liverpool one the other day to see what they thought of the Barry saga, don't think I've been cursed at that many times in my life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:50 pm 

kurtsimonw wrote:
I've not heard it before, no.

By the way, it's nice to see that not every opposition forum I go on is full of tossers. I went on a Liverpool one the other day to see what they thought of the Barry saga, don't think I've been cursed at that many times in my life!

We're a good bunch.. lol, at times. ;) That's scousers for you anyway.