Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Celtic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:14 am 

Hughes braced for Celtic 06/08/2008 09:32

City will go full-tilt at tonight’s friendly in Glasgow as Mark Hughes cranks up the preparations for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
The Blues are set to field a strong team for the game against Celtic, with the Manager well versed in the footballing maxim that states ‘Celtic don’t play friendlies’.

“There are no real friendlies are there?” laughs Hughes.

“We go into every game to win, even out on the training ground we want every game to be competitive and have an edge. We are really looking forward to this and the AC Milan game on Saturday because we know that they are against quality opposition.

“There will be good crowds, good atmospheres at Celtic Park and our own ground. I’ve been lucky enough to see a few games at Celtic over the years, and the support that they have is unbelievable. We’ll embrace that, and I may take a couple of younger players along to sample the atmosphere, because it is so unique.”

With City’s involvement in the UEFA Cup added to the mix, Hughes admits that there is still a need to try to spread the workload around, while getting off to as good a start to the Barclays Premier League season as possible.

“We are going to look at these two games coming up, and also we need to remember that we have an intense period coming up. If you include internationals, some of the guys will have nine games inside 20-odd days, so we will have to try to split the squad and try to make sure that not too much of the weight of work is placed on too few players.

“Having said that, we are looking to win these games from now on in if we can, because the preparation games will help us going into the competitive ones,” he concludes.

Rolando Bianchi, who started last Saturday's game against Stockport County, sits out tonight's game after sustaining a slight knee injury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:16 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
Hughes braced for Celtic 06/08/2008 09:32

City will go full-tilt at tonight’s friendly in Glasgow as Mark Hughes cranks up the preparations for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
The Blues are set to field a strong team for the game against Celtic, with the Manager well versed in the footballing maxim that states ‘Celtic don’t play friendlies’.

“There are no real friendlies are there?” laughs Hughes.

“We go into every game to win, even out on the training ground we want every game to be competitive and have an edge. We are really looking forward to this and the AC Milan game on Saturday because we know that they are against quality opposition.

“There will be good crowds, good atmospheres at Celtic Park and our own ground. I’ve been lucky enough to see a few games at Celtic over the years, and the support that they have is unbelievable. We’ll embrace that, and I may take a couple of younger players along to sample the atmosphere, because it is so unique.”

With City’s involvement in the UEFA Cup added to the mix, Hughes admits that there is still a need to try to spread the workload around, while getting off to as good a start to the Barclays Premier League season as possible.

“We are going to look at these two games coming up, and also we need to remember that we have an intense period coming up. If you include internationals, some of the guys will have nine games inside 20-odd days, so we will have to try to split the squad and try to make sure that not too much of the weight of work is placed on too few players.

“Having said that, we are looking to win these games from now on in if we can, because the preparation games will help us going into the competitive ones,” he concludes.

Rolando Bianchi, who started last Saturday's game against Stockport County, sits out tonight's game after sustaining a slight knee injury.

The big talking point tonight is..................is corluka playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:17 am 

Is it on the telly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:43 am 

Shitanta Slart my man.

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 am 

Celtic striker Georgios Samaras does not claim to be particularly enthused about facing his old Manchester City team-mates in a pre-season friendly tonight.

But he is certainly looking forward to showing them he has taken a giant step up in the world.

The Greek harbours little by way of affection for his old employers, having claimed the Premiership side left him feeling unloved and unwanted during his ill-starred stay at Eastlands.

Scroll down for more

Feeling right at home: Samaras is happier in Celtic colours than he was in City's light blue

After making his loan deal at Celtic permanent this summer, Samaras now believes he has moved on to bigger and better things - as Mark Hughes and Co will find out this evening.

'Playing against City is just one game like any other,' he shrugged. 'It's not at all special for me. I think my old team-mates know what I am about and that I am at a massive club with great supporters.

'They will know all about Celtic. I don't have to explain to them. I think Celtic are a bigger club than many Premiership teams. They are certainly bigger than City. Hopefully, it will be a full house at Parkhead.'

If the sold-out signs do go up, expect a stirring performance from Celtic.

This pre-season, the club's form has been proportionate to the atmosphere in the ground: the more intense, the better Gordon Strachan's team have performed - the two highlights being wins over Porto and Feyenoord.

It is the reason why Celtic always seem to raise their game in the Champions League too, believes Samaras.

'We don't worry about criticism in pre-season,' said the striker, who picked up a minor back injury against Feyenoord but does not expect to be sidelined tonight.

'We are far away and not reading the papers. We do our job and get ready for the next week. We lost to Spurs but they had paid £40million or £50m on players. It was only a friendly game and when we play in the Champions League against AC Milan or Barcelona there is a big difference - much different from a pre-season game.

'We don't like to play in empty stadiums. Our best performances of pre-season have been when there has been a full house.

'Porto was a great atmosphere and Feyenoord was great, too. Now we have Manchester City, but the most important thing is that players are available and fit. We want to be ready for the big kick-off against St Mirren on Sunday because we think it will be a big season.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 am 

Samaras is bound to score at least 2 v City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Samaras is bound to score at least 2 v City.

2-1 Celtic, Samaras!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 am 

You cant polish a turd celtic

He'll be getting a transfer to glasgow hospital when he comes up against dunny!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 am 

Fuckin arrogant bastard eh. He's right, the City players do know everything about him. Most of them have had to fetch the ball of the training ground roof when the prick was practising his shooting. Bigger club in a small league. They wouldn't even finish in the top half of the prem league. He's had a right pop at us IMO. It's not our fault he's crap!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 am 

I dont think he's had a pop at City, I think his grasp of English isn't perfect and well let's face it, he's no Einstein either, reckon he'd be putty in medias hands.

All that aside I think the SPL will suit him, bit more time and lax defending, he'll score 10+ this season. Good luck to him.

Celtic will roll us tonight, unavoidable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 am 

Quote:
If you include internationals, some of the guys will have nine games inside 20-odd days

What were people saying to me when I suggested an 80 game season ?

Is this game on TV, maybe Celtic Tv ? Very interesting to see if Corluka is in the squad. I am guessing not, its all over the media his move to Spurs will be completed today.

Its become pretty clear that Ben Haim was signed as a cheaper replacement rather than cover / squad building.

Its all very quiet with Hughes and cook at the moment. You have to feel sorry for them. Clearly now given the full truth when they signed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:03 am 

alera wrote:

Is this game on TV, maybe Celtic Tv ? Very interesting to see if Corluka is in the squad. I am guessing not, its all over the media his move to Spurs will be completed today.

Its become pretty clear that Ben Haim was signed as a cheaper replacement rather than cover / squad building.

Its all very quiet with Hughes and cook at the moment. You have to feel sorry for them. Clearly now given the full truth when they signed up.

It's on setanta mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:13 am 

alera wrote:

I reckon not.

CTID

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 am 

mancitycool wrote:
I reckon not.

Who knows. I reckon whoevers sorting out this sale, and it doesn't look to be Hughes, is making a right fuck-up of the club, and it's disillusioning fans. It can't be too good for players either knowing we're flogging our best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 am 

Great I will watch it tonight then with interest. Clear lack of communication going on. Something is not right been no word from Cook or Hughes really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:26 am 

slart wrote:
Is it on the telly?

p://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:24 pm 

No confirmation of the players in the squad anywhere that I can see which seems a bit strange...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:22 pm 

alera wrote:
No confirmation of the players in the squad anywhere that I can see which seems a bit strange...

plenty of time yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:05 pm 

Is there any news of the starting line-up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:06 pm 

not yet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next