Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:17 pm 

save me jeebus wrote:
That's fair enough, but with a new manager coming in and players wanting to impress, and they have been told that they're playing for the right to wear a shirt come kick off, you'd think there was enough motivation there for the players to put in a few good performances.

Its still pre season though, lots of youth out there today, at least they scored a couple and didnt lose. Lets not panic yet!!

BTW saw the first half of Madrid v Hamburg and Hamburg looked quite a solid team, they were losing 1-0, but had lots of chances and not a bad side at all.

Im sure we will get off to a good start to the prem though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:22 pm 

I searched for highlights or goals vids, I found some pics of the game and that's about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:25 pm 

Barna Azul wrote:
Its still pre season though, lots of youth out there today, at least they scored a couple and didnt lose. Lets not panic yet!!

BTW saw the first half of Madrid v Hamburg and Hamburg looked quite a solid team, they were losing 1-0, but had lots of chances and not a bad side at all.

Im sure we will get off to a good start to the prem though!!

Never even entered my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:25 pm 

http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10419~1356809,00.html

Quote:
COUNTY 2 MAN CITY 2
Posted on: Sat 02 Aug 2008

County fans had a pleasant surprise when Stephen Gleeson's name appeared on the teamsheet. The Irish international had been given special permission by Wolves to play in the game ahead of him signing a six-month loan deal, which is expected to be completed on Monday.

Jonny Mullins, who missed last Saturday's game against Liverpool, was handed his home debut.

City included former Chelsea defender Tal Ben Haim, Dieter Hamann and Stephen Ireland in their starting line-up.

City had the first chance of the game when Vladimir Weiss whipped in a dangerous free kick from the right that was touched behind by Michael Raynes.

The Hatters first sight of goal came seven minutes later when Tommy Rowe came in from the right and hit a shot that was deflected for a corner.

Two minutes later Michael Rose played the ball down the left to Carl Baker who hit a deep cross to Gleeson. The Irishman hit his shot first time on the volley and watched in dismay as his shot hit the inside of the post and rolled right across the line and hit the other post before a relieved Kasper Schmeichel pounced on the ball.

City responded with a dangerous cross from former County loanee Shaleum Logan that needed a timely clearance from Jimmy McNulty to clear.

McNulty came to County's rescue again on 34 minutes to slide in and clear the danger just as Rolando Bianchi was about to get his shot away.

Right on half-time Owain fon Williams was called into action for the first time when he dived to his right to turn Bianchi's 25 yard drive around the post.

City started the second half brightly with Owen making a good block to deny Bianchi on 51 minutes.

Stephen Ireland was then off target when he tried to lob fon Williams from the angle of the box.

County hit back with Tommy Rowe forcing Schmeichel into a save on 62.

Three minutes later the Hatters took the lead when Thompson threaded the ball through to Pilkington who kept a cool head to beat Schmeichel.

The Hatters were buzzing and nearly doubled their lead on 69. Dicker played a glorious ball down the left to Pilkington who hit his cross a little too high for the inrushing Thompson.

The game was developing into a great contest and fon Williams had to make a great save to deny Danny Sturridge, looking suspiciously offside, on 71 minutes.

The young Welshmen then made another great stop to deny Gelson Fernandes as City turned the screw.

Ched Evans was next to be denied by fon Williams but, after he'd punched the shot clear, the ball was played back in to Valeri Bojinov who scored with a well-placed header.

Thompson had a one-on-one with Schmeichel after being played in by Gleeson but the City 'keeper was equal to the task.

Three minutes from time Pilkington got to the bye-line and pulled the ball back to Thompson. The former Linfield man took a touch before hammering his shot past Schmeichel to send the Cheadle Enders into raptures.

Deep into added time, though, Mullins was controversially adjudged to have brought down Evans. The striker then picked himself up to beat fon Williams from the spot.

County: fon Williams, Mullins, Rose, Owen, McNulty, Dicker, Thompson (McSweeney 90), Baker (Pilkinbgton 45), Rowe, Raynes, Gleeson.

Unused subs: Rigby, McNeil, Vincent, Tunnicliffe.

Attendance: 6,684

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:53 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:

Away shirt looks good.

Lol, I was just looking at it on the official site. Something tells me they need to cut down on the number of pies they're selling.
Quote:
Please note that the 08/09 shirts differ in size from the 07/08 season, this is due to customer feedback the shirts are now more generous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:26 pm 

The goals have been on Sky Sports News, though you may have to wait a while until they come back on.

Good header from Boji, looping header back from where the cross came from. He looked pleased too! Penalty perhaps a little generous as Chedley looked like he might have lost the ball. He dispatched it well though into the bottom right corner, sending the keeper the wrong way. Both goals scored in front of the City fans in the Railway End.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:03 pm 

Good to see Bojinov back in action.:)

I didn't realize he was due back so early from his setback recently announced.

Obviously we have more options in front than I had presumed.

Time for Rolando to take the hints and make single fare journey back to Italia.
The Granata perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:36 pm 

Great that Bojinov and Evans scored. Certainly much happier than I was when we were losing against a side in the bottom division of the football league. We did dominate against the pub side in the UEFA but still a part time pub side in a competition we are meant to be taking seriously...

It was a reserve side we put out no doubt about it. I get the impression Hughes is trying to show Bianchi and Castillo just how shit live for them is going to be at city unless they take a pay cut to get out of the club ASAP. No doubt we have better players who actually want to play for the club in the squad.

Real test against Celtic and AC Milan lets see how we do against decent opposition near to the season kick off..

We didnt lose and given the side we put out I am resonably happy with 2 goals and a draw having been behind in the second half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:39 pm 
alera wrote:
Great that Bojinov and Evans scored. Certainly much happier than I was when we were losing against a side in the bottom division than the football league.

It was a reserve side no doubt about it. Real test against Celtic and AC Milan lets see how we do against decent opposition near to the season kick off..

Have they been relegated already? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:40 pm 

I wouldn't read too much into any pre-season match. They're pretty much meaningless to the outsider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:41 pm 

Dupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:43 pm 

THought they were in the bottom tier now ? Anyway positives are Boj and Evans scored and Hughes making it clear to Bianchi how miserable his life will be if he doesnt **** off.....

Hopefully he will go back to Italy we get £5 million back and can buy a proper proven PL forward....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:01 pm 

alera wrote:
Great that Bojinov and Evans scored. Certainly much happier than I was when we were losing against a side in the bottom division of the football league. We did dominate against the pub side in the UEFA but still a part time pub side in a competition we are meant to be taking seriously...

It was a reserve side we put out no doubt about it. I get the impression Hughes is trying to show Bianchi and Castillo just how shit live for them is going to be at city unless they take a pay cut to get out of the club ASAP. No doubt we have better players who actually want to play for the club in the squad.

Real test against Celtic and AC Milan lets see how we do against decent opposition near to the season kick off..

We didnt lose and given the side we put out I am resonably happy with 2 goals and a draw having been behind in the second half.

Oh you're gonna be great fun when the season starts. I can see it now, we win 5...yay, lose 1...Disaster, we're gonna get relegated, sack Hughes, sack the board, we're doomed. Don't panic Mr Manwaring. Stupid boy, they don't like it up em.

I'm only kidding with ya. I may have to start calling you fraiser, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:09 pm 

alera wrote:

what's wrong with castillo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 pm 

I ain't seen enough of Castillo to pass any judgement on him, can he not play on the right hand side????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:31 pm 

Just saw the goals on SSN. Great header from Boj. At last we have someone who can get headers from set pieces and corners ?

Interview with Hughes still saying no signings in pipeline. Real mixed messages...

Quote:
what's wrong with castillo?

Well hes been with us for 6 months. You seen him do anything ? I certainly have not. Must be shit in training ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:32 pm 

We've only got Castillo until January anyway, then he goes back to his own club. He can't decide to take a pay cut and go play for another team.

He might do alright once the season starts. Impossible to judge him on the few games he's had so far. My only criticism is that he looks very lightweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:39 pm 

Bastard wrote:
We've only got Castillo until January anyway, then he goes back to his own club. He can't decide to take a pay cut and go play for another team.

He might do alright once the season starts. Impossible to judge him on the few games he's had so far. My only criticism is that he looks very lightweight.

I read a quote from some player the other day about when he first came to the premiership. He said the bigggest shock was the size and strength of the players here. I can't remember who it was, but I do remember thinking he's not a little fella himself. So I imagine for Castillo it was a real shock, being as slight as he is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next