Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 am 
alera wrote:
Well yes I do actually. In that they are decent players. Vassel has scored 52 goals in 250+ appearances. For a forward that is a simply awful return.

Playing wide or behind a lone striker though. Play him in a 4-4-2 and he'd score lots more. Should stop knocking Vas. He plays for City, creates goals, and that's a lot more than some people do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:06 pm 

I think people are harsh on Vass. Hes a good squad player, has pace, and earnt us at least 12 points last season that I can think of with goals and assists.

Should run at people more though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:10 pm 

Vass has done well for us over the years. Makes a good contribution to the team and unlike some others, he always plays his part without moaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:14 pm 

alera wrote:
Well yes I do actually. In that they are decent players. Vassel has scored 52 goals in 250+ appearances. For a forward that is a simply awful return.

You want to take a look at the goals stats for Lampard and Crouch ?

Ooh, can I?!!! :D

On second thoughts I'd rather not. There's more to a player than his goalscoring stats. Vass did much for the team last season, particularly whilst out on the wing. He ain't the greatest but while we have a wafer thin squad and are struggling to add to it he'll more than do for me.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 pm 

Complete agreement with alera.

I wouldn't be sad to see the back of either Vass or Bianchi.

I don't like all this "he gives 100%" business. We need players with some real quality to go with the effort and commitment. I've stuck up for Vass on a few occasions at the ground when rowing with people sat around me, but he's not the sort of player we should have in our team if we've any ambitions of improving our league position.

If we could somehow merge Vass and Bianchi to get a hybrid player with the finishing of Bianchi and the commitment of Vassell we'd have a hell of a player. Labmonkey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Complete agreement with alera.

I wouldn't be sad to see the back of either Vass or Bianchi.

I don't like all this "he gives 100%" business. We need players with some real quality to go with the effort and commitment. I've stuck up for Vass on a few occasions at the ground when rowing with people sat around me, but he's not the sort of player we should have in our team if we've any ambitions of improving our league position.

If we could somehow merge Vass and Bianchi to get a hybrid player with the finishing of Bianchi and the commitment of Vassell we'd have a hell of a player. Labmonkey?

He does more than that. He creates. he holds the ball up. He makes a nuisance of himself. I'll talk you through it some day.

It's all very well saying we should be looking at better players if we have ambition but we all know that ain't gonna happen any time soon. We've signed one player all summer and of those we should be looking to get rid of, Vass is way, way down the list.

I'd be delighted if he stuck around as a squad member for another year. Same goes for Bianchi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:59 pm 

Got Lucky wrote:
He does more than that. He creates. he holds the ball up. He makes a nuisance of himself. I'll talk you through it some day.

oooh, I can hardly wait.

tbh I don't see him having that much positive input into our team performance. All the chasing round and closing down is fair enough, but when he's on the ball I personally see more bad than good from him. His decision making is frequently woeful, as is his final delivery. And his finishing, especially one on one. I definitely don't see much creativity, and holding the ball up is only of any use if you can then find one of your teammates joining the attack.

I'm happy to have him as a squad player, but I think it reflects badly on the quality of our squad that he's in the starting XI so often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:05 pm 

Bastard wrote:
oooh, I can hardly wait.

tbh I don't see him having that much positive input into our team performance. All the chasing round and closing down is fair enough, but when he's on the ball I personally see more bad than good from him. His decision making is frequently woeful, as is his final delivery. And his finishing, especially one on one. I definitely don't see much creativity, and holding the ball up is only of any use if you can then find one of your teammates joining the attack.

I'm happy to have him as a squad player, but I think it reflects badly on the quality of our squad that he's in the starting XI so often.

Then we are concurred.

Alas unless we sign a few more players the quality of our squad will indeed be reflected badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:12 pm 

Bastard wrote:
If we could somehow merge Vass and Bianchi to get a hybrid player with the finishing of Bianchi and the commitment of Vassell we'd have a hell of a player.

Then we'd have a striker that runs around like a headless chicken missing tap ins from 3 feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:30 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Then we'd have a striker that runs around like a headless chicken missing tap ins from 3 feet.

with the first touch of a baby rhino

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:27 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7533559.stm

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]Man City v EB Streymur (Thur)[/SIZE]

Aggregate: 2-0

Venue: Oakwell, Barnsley
Date: Thursday, 31 July
Kick-off: 2000 BST
Coverage: Full match commentary on BBC Radio Manchester (95.1FM and DAB digital radio) and ITV4, live text commentary on the BBC website

Vedran Corluka and Elano are both expected to return to the Manchester City team for the second leg of their tie with EB Streymur.

City lead 2-0 after the first leg of their Uefa Cup first qualifying round tie in the Faroe Islands.

Jo, who made his debut in the first leg, is away on Olympic duty Brazil and Benjani Mwaruwari is injured.

In their absence either Ched Evans or Daniel Sturridge will partner Darius Vassell in attack.

The game is being played at Barnsley's Oakwell ground while the pitch at the City of Manchester Stadium recovers from this summer's events.

Man City (from): Hart, Schmeichel, Corluka, Onuoha, Dunne, Richards, Ball, Ireland, Hamann, Elano, Fernandes, Mee, Johnson, Petrov, Castillo, Sturridge, Vassell, Evans, Caicedo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:00 pm 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039819/No-Jo-City-Corluka-Elano-set-return-Oakwell.html

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]No Jo for City but Corluka and Elano set to return at Oakwell[/SIZE]

Vedran Corluka and Elano are expected to be in the Manchester City line-up for Thursday's UEFA Cup qualifier with EB/Streymur at Oakwell.

New manager Mark Hughes has been running the rule over his charges since his arrival and Corluka and Elano get their chance after a late return to training following international duty this summer.

Both players were on the bench for the first leg in the Faroe Islands that City won comfortably with goals from Martin Petrov and Didi Hamann.

With Jo on Olympic duty with Brazil and Benjani Mwaruwari on the injured list, either Ched Evans or Daniel Sturridge will partner Darius Vassell in attack.

Team (from): Hart, Schmeichel, Corluka, Onuoha, Dunne, Richards, Ball, Ireland, Hamann, Elano, Fernandes, Mee, Johnson, Petrov, Castillo, Sturridge, Vassell, Evans, Caicedo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:29 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:

Why no weiss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
Why no weiss?

I think Weiss is some way off the first team yet. He's very young and very small-in a bit maybe but I don't think he should be there yet. He's only been playing against other kids thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:38 pm 

Benny wrote:
I think Weiss is some way off the first team yet. He's very young and very small-in a bit maybe but I don't think he should be there yet. He's only been playing against other kids thus far.

With the lack of right wingers we have a kid may be the best we've got

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 pm 

I speak to vald so I'll ask him what the situation is. Might even try and get him on here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 pm 

magic mike wrote:
I speak to vald so I'll ask him what the situation is. Might even try and get him on here!

Do it. Do it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm 

right, Good Luck to u guys tomoro not that u need like us where we have to win.But miracles do happen so 3-1 to Cork City and see you guys in the 2nd round.

Slan

dub_hater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 pm 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
With the lack of right wingers we have a kid may be the best we've got

I think playing him in a tie that is virtually a foregone conclusion would be better than chucking him in the Prem where he might find himself a little out of his depth so early in his career. Should chuck him in tomorrow to get him a feeling for first team football with almost no chance of a debut that quickly becomes a nightmare & scars the lad for 10 months!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 pm 

dub_hater wrote:
right, Good Luck to u guys tomoro not that u need like us where we have to win.But miracles do happen so 3-1 to Cork City and see you guys in the 2nd round.

Slan

dub_hater.

I hope we do get you's. Should be another easy round then.:D

Good luck anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next