Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: the Derby
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:40 am 

fuckpigs ahoy! let's make it 7-0 this year please. that one goal smudged a perfect result.

Quote:
Nemanja Vidic shuns Manchester City's Kolarov and Nastasic for derby• Manchester United captain is good friends with fellow Serbs
• 'I never speak with an opponent before a game,' Vidic says

The Guardian, Wednesday 3 April 2013 18.45 BST
Nemanja Vidic of Manchester United, right, clashes with City's Aleksandar Kolarov in a derby in February 2011. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
Nemanja Vidic will sever all lines of communication to his fellow Serbs Aleksandar Kolarov and Matija Nastasic ahead of Monday's Manchester derby.

The Manchester United captain is close friends with the duo but their commitment to the City cause makes it impossible for idle chit-chat, no matter how well the compatriots get on. For Vidic, the only way to deal with the situation is not to communicate at all.

"I never speak with an opponent before a game," he said. "I am good friends with Kolarov and Nastasic. But I don't like to talk. I like to go there and do it. On game day I think about the game, I don't waste energy before the game starts, otherwise you end up tired."

United, 15 points clear with seven games left, are in the happy position of knowing even a draw would effectively clinch a record 20th championship. Yet, after Monday's FA Cup defeat at Chelsea, a stalemate would represent a hollow victory given that the championship is the only trophy available after growing hopes of a treble were ended by Real Madrid's victory at Old Trafford in the Champions League before Demba Ba's stunning winner killed off the dream of an alternative Wembley visit.

Sir Alex Ferguson will want to get his team selection right, with many United fans believing the decision to include Park Ji-sung at the Etihad Stadium last season handed the initiative to Manchester City.

It leaves United's manager facing a big call at the back given that Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans have claims on a starting berth. Vidic is in a pretty strong position given that recent statistics showed he has the highest win percentage of any United player who has made more than 60 appearances for the club. That figure is creeping towards 72% after Saturday's victory at Sunderland. Vidic soaks up such facts with relish.

"Now we have the opportunity to see statistics with the analyst after every game," he said. "You can see how many tackles or headers you have won. You can look at certain things and see where you can improve. Even the passing rate, you can see the percentage you have got right. But it is not just the stats, it is the clips as well. I love to watch them. Not every player looks but you have the chance to – and I do."

Wayne Rooney will continue to have treatment on the groin injury that ruled him out of the past two games. Although there continues to be talk of Rooney leaving Old Trafford in the summer despite Ferguson's assurance that it will not happen, the 27-year-old has scored three goals in seven appearances since Robin van Persie got his last one.

Rooney also found the net in both England World Cup qualifiers, so it would be a major surprise if he wins his fitness fight and is then overlooked by Ferguson.

Post subject: Re: the Derby
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 pm 

Vidic must be in top physical condition if talking to players before the game tires him out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 pm 

Lescott should be starting this match ahead of Nastasic imo.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm 

Nastasic's first name on the teamsheet for me.

(After Hart, Zabs, Yaya, Silva and Aguero)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm 

Quote:
Vincent Kompany wants derby win to be crowned champions of Manchester• Victory over Manchester United would spur City on
• Manchester City captain says derby very important
Share 18
inShare.0Email Jamie Jackson
The Guardian, Wednesday 3 April 2013 22.30 BST
Vincent Kompany, the Manchester City captain, believes beating Manchester United and Chelsea would ensure a stong finish to the season. Photograph: Jon Super/AP
Vincent Kompany wants Manchester City to beat Manchester United on Monday at Old Trafford to be the "champions of Manchester". Despite his side being 15 points behind Sir Alex Ferguson's team, the defender is intent on victory against them and in the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea the following weekend to ensure a strong finish to the campaign.

"It would be nice to challenge them [United] on their turf again," Kompany, the City captain, said. "A derby is a derby. I don't think we could care less about the league in that game. It is about who is going to be champions of Manchester.

"It is always important as a group for everyone to take responsibility [for the points deficit]. Collectively it is disappointing. At the same time, I feel there is still a lot to look forward to. Whichever way we finish this season might set us up for the next one.

"I always remember the way we finished the season when we won the FA Cup [in 2011]. We finished equal points with Chelsea, which was a massive boost for us. We secured a place in the Champions League and also won the FA Cup. The year after that we went on to win the title. The end of one season has an impact on how you start the next one."

Last season's corresponding fixture at Old Trafford ended in City routing United 6-1. "I don't expect Manchester United to be less motivated because they have this points gap between us where they are pretty safe," Kompany added.

"It will be like a one-off game. It will be like a cup final. There will be everything in it. For the neutrals we have enjoyed a couple of great derbies in the last couple of years. I can only wish the same with a happy ending for Manchester City.

"I have never been someone who has milked the result we had last year. Those things don't happen often. For me it is a one-off game and everything that has happened in the past has no importance whatsoever next Monday. It is about coming out on top in that game. I am looking forward to it and I think everyone else at Manchester City is too."

The United central defender Nemanja Vidic will sever all lines of communication to his fellow Serbs Aleksandar Kolarov and Matija Nastasic ahead of the derby. United's captain is close friends with the duo but their commitment to the City cause makes it impossible for idle chit-chat, no matter how well the compatriots get on. For Vidic, the only way to deal with the situation is not to communicate at all.

"I never speak with an opponent before a game," he said. "I am good friends with Kolarov and Nastasic. But I don't like to talk. I like to go there and do it. On game day I think about the game, I don't waste energy before the game starts, otherwise you end up tired."

Wayne Rooney will continue to have treatment on the groin injury that ruled him out of the past two games.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Nastasic's first name on the teamsheet for me.

(After Hart, Zabs, Yaya, Silva and Aguero)

He's not yet a better defender than Lescott though - up and coming, having a great first season, yes, but Lescott should be above him in the pecking order imo.

Fuck the munich bastards btw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:42 pm 

Not too bothered either way over Nastasic or lescott, reckon Nasty will start though.

KickerConspiracy wrote:

This. Lets put the Munich cunts to the sword.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:15 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Not too bothered either way over Nastasic or lescott, reckon Nasty will start though.

KickerConspiracy wrote:

:mrgreen:
This. ...and then some.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am 

he has awoken from his alcoholic stupour.

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson: City won't derail Manchester United's title hopes• Van Persie backed to overcome nine-game drought
• Wayne Rooney and Rafael da Silva expected to be fit
Share 53
inShare.0Email Andy Hunter
The Guardian, Thursday 4 April 2013 14.58 BST
Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester City 'want to come and derail us for a spell' but insists United are prepared. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
Sir Alex Ferguson has told Manchester United they cannot allow Manchester City to derail their title coronation "for a spell" as he backed Robin van Persie to recapture the prolific goalscoring form that announced his arrival at Old Trafford.

Van Persie scored 22 goals in his first 28 appearances for United but has struck only once in his past 12 outings for the club, with Monday's FA Cup defeat at Chelsea his ninth game without a goal for the league leaders since scoring the second against Everton on 10 February.

Ferguson suggested in a magazine interview this week that the "intensity" of United's season could be a factor in Van Persie's dip – though the striker did score three times in Holland's recent World Cup qualifying double-header against Estonia and Romania – but says he is unperturbed by the £24m forward's form.

"Robin doesn't need a rest, that's for sure," said the United manager. "He's a strong lad with a great physique. It's disappointing he wasn't awarded the goal at Sunderland [last Saturday, when Titus Bramble was adjudged to have scored an own goal]. I can understand that because it took a wicked deflection. His shot was fantastic. It was hit with such venom that it's not surprising it took a deflection. But his ability to manoeuvre his position at that point was excellent. The goals will come. All strikers have little dry spells – you always hope it ends quickly. It's just part of being a striker."

Ferguson's advice to Van Persie and all strikers suffering a barren spell, he revealed, was passed on to him by his father, Alexander. He added: "You have to get through that period and not lose your faith and belief in yourself. My dad always used to say make sure you batter the ball when you're in there, don't tap it or try and side-foot the ball in the net, batter it. That's what I always tell strikers – when you get in the position make sure you hit it.

"If the goalkeeper saves it, you can say what a great save. But if you try to side-foot it in and the keeper just catches it easily you'll get criticised for that. It's just being sensible and realistic. Robin's shot last week could have come off any defender because it was hit so well and that's the right thing to do."

United host City on Monday with a 15-point advantage over their neighbours, closest challengers and reigning champions. But with Arsenal and Chelsea also still to play this season, Ferguson says United cannot afford to be complacent with a 20th league title in sight.

"We've still got to win the title," he said. "We have eight games left. That's 24 points to play for. The way we've approached things is the correct way and that's to win the next game, that's what we've always tried to do.

"Hopefully it takes you to winning the league and then we talk about what the season has been like. It doesn't matter what people say outside of the club, it's about what we think inside the club about what we've achieved.

"The important thing is to win Monday's game. It'll be a big game for City. They'll want to come and derail us for a spell. I can understand their motivation – we'd probably have the same motivation. But we're at home. Our consistency in the league is there for all to see. I expect us to perform really well on Monday."

Wayne Rooney and Rafael da Silva are expected to be fit for Monday's derby having missed the Chelsea defeat, and the Sunderland win in Rooney's case, with groin injuries. The United manager confirmed: "Wayne and Rafa have started training this morning which is good news. Hopefully they'll be fine by Monday. Jonny Evans [hamstring] and Nemanja Vidic [back] are not there yet but hopefully they'll start maybe tomorrow or Saturday morning. We have a little bit of time on our hands to get most of the troops ready for the game."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:00 am 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
Bastard wrote:

KickerConspiracy wrote:

:mrgreen:
This. ...and then some.

Yes, yes and yes - then some more!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:02 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
he has awoken from his alcoholic stupour.

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson: City won't derail Manchester United's title hopes• Van Persie backed to overcome nine-game drought
• Wayne Rooney and Rafael da Silva expected to be fit
Share 53
inShare.0Email Andy Hunter
The Guardian, Thursday 4 April 2013 14.58 BST
Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester City 'want to come and derail us for a spell' but insists United are prepared. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images
Sir Alex Ferguson has told Manchester United they cannot allow Manchester City to derail their title coronation "for a spell" as he backed Robin van Persie to recapture the prolific goalscoring form that announced his arrival at Old Trafford.

Van Persie scored 22 goals in his first 28 appearances for United but has struck only once in his past 12 outings for the club, with Monday's FA Cup defeat at Chelsea his ninth game without a goal for the league leaders since scoring the second against Everton on 10 February.

Ferguson suggested in a magazine interview this week that the "intensity" of United's season could be a factor in Van Persie's dip – though the striker did score three times in Holland's recent World Cup qualifying double-header against Estonia and Romania – but says he is unperturbed by the £24m forward's form.

"Robin doesn't need a rest, that's for sure," said the United manager. "He's a strong lad with a great physique. It's disappointing he wasn't awarded the goal at Sunderland [last Saturday, when Titus Bramble was adjudged to have scored an own goal]. I can understand that because it took a wicked deflection. His shot was fantastic. It was hit with such venom that it's not surprising it took a deflection. But his ability to manoeuvre his position at that point was excellent. The goals will come. All strikers have little dry spells – you always hope it ends quickly. It's just part of being a striker."

Ferguson's advice to Van Persie and all strikers suffering a barren spell, he revealed, was passed on to him by his father, Alexander. He added: "You have to get through that period and not lose your faith and belief in yourself. My dad always used to say make sure you batter the ball when you're in there, don't tap it or try and side-foot the ball in the net, batter it. That's what I always tell strikers – when you get in the position make sure you hit it.

"If the goalkeeper saves it, you can say what a great save. But if you try to side-foot it in and the keeper just catches it easily you'll get criticised for that. It's just being sensible and realistic. Robin's shot last week could have come off any defender because it was hit so well and that's the right thing to do."

United host City on Monday with a 15-point advantage over their neighbours, closest challengers and reigning champions. But with Arsenal and Chelsea also still to play this season, Ferguson says United cannot afford to be complacent with a 20th league title in sight.

"We've still got to win the title," he said. "We have eight games left. That's 24 points to play for. The way we've approached things is the correct way and that's to win the next game, that's what we've always tried to do.

"Hopefully it takes you to winning the league and then we talk about what the season has been like. It doesn't matter what people say outside of the club, it's about what we think inside the club about what we've achieved.

"The important thing is to win Monday's game. It'll be a big game for City. They'll want to come and derail us for a spell. I can understand their motivation – we'd probably have the same motivation. But we're at home. Our consistency in the league is there for all to see. I expect us to perform really well on Monday."

Wayne Rooney and Rafael da Silva are expected to be fit for Monday's derby having missed the Chelsea defeat, and the Sunderland win in Rooney's case, with groin injuries. The United manager confirmed: "Wayne and Rafa have started training this morning which is good news. Hopefully they'll be fine by Monday. Jonny Evans [hamstring] and Nemanja Vidic [back] are not there yet but hopefully they'll start maybe tomorrow or Saturday morning. We have a little bit of time on our hands to get most of the troops ready for the game."

We seem (in my often dodgy memory anyway) to have a nasty habit of allowing teams/players to break their shit streaks against us. I hope this is (a) bollocks or (b) not the sort of thing we do anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 pm 

'You're not singing... oh, you were': United draft in audio experts to improve Old Trafford atmosphere

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cant-hear-you-manchester-united-2519900

Bellends.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm 

Didn't we do that...?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Didn't we do that...?

Shhhhhh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:41 pm