Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 pm 

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-city/382/blog/post/2050530/manchester-city

Posted by Simon Curtis

After a difficult three-match spell, what have we learned about Man City?

A little over a week ago, Manchester City were gearing themselves up for a testing three-fixture run which we were told would give us reasonable insight into what to expect from the champions this season.

Arsenal away, Bayern away and Chelsea at home. After this little lot, it would become apparent whether we were looking at true title challengers and Champions League contenders or another season of unfulfilled dreams, mirroring Roberto Mancini's final season in charge at the Etihad.

We are now the other side of those tricky fixtures, two of which were drawn, the other lost. On immediate viewing that does not bode well but there are plenty of reasons why the past eight days could be the process of laying foundations for a very good season. So, what have we learned?

Team spirit

Having gone 2-1 down after taking the lead against Arsenal, City spent the final 10 minutes foraging forward to great effect. An equaliser, two shots on to the post and a goal disallowed pointed to a team high in energy, will power and never-say-die spirit.

This theme was maintained against Bayern Munich, one of the continent's most difficult places to visit. City were beaten only by a deflected goal in the 90th minute. Although Bayern were at times tepid and timid, to be so close to gaining a good point in Bavaria was not the disaster some people made it out to be.

Perhaps the strongest pointer so far came in the 1-1 draw at home to Chelsea, though. City gave Jose Mourinho's men a good battering but referee Mike Dean then decided it was time to take centre stage. It has been said time and time again that the best referees are the ones that leave you asking at the game's end: "Who was the ref today?" Sadly, few of today's officials leave us spectators in any doubt.

Having been reduced to 10 men before Chelsea took the lead, City could have been forgiven for thinking their luck was out. Back they came with another stirring response to a setback, equalising through Frank Lampard (the football gods do have a sense of humour after all) and finishing the stronger against a Chelsea side clearly quite happy to leave with a point.

Frank Lampard rescued a point for City against Chelsea, the team who made him a Premier League legend.

A new defence

Chopping and changing, as it used to be called, is the modern day squad rotation. Amazingly, for two such important games, only Vincent Kompany of City's defenders survived from the Bayern game to play against Chelsea. That's three changes to a four-man back line.

However, one of those changes may just be viewed as a seminal moment in the club's season, that sets up this City side for an eight-month period chasing pots and trophies on various fronts. Eliaquim Mangala's debut against Chelsea was possibly the best seen in a City shirt since Trevor Francis hit two on his debut vs. Stoke in 1981. Assured and strong, quick in the tackle and fast in ball transition, the young Frenchman, 23, excelled.

His partnership with the hugely impressive Kompany could blossom into the strongest centre-back pairing in the Premier League and perhaps beyond. Both command their zone, bully their opponents and are extremely comfortable in possession.

No damage done

An opening day defeat in the Champions League is obviously not what the doctor ordered, but that is City's trickiest game out of the way. With Roma starting well, it remains to be seen whether UEFA's oddly unbalanced seeding process has yet again served City an impossible package, but as it stands, it will come down to what City can do in two matches against Roma and at home to Bayern.

In the Premier League, the gap to Chelsea remains five points. All teams have played five games. It does not need the combined brain power of Pythagoras, Archimedes and Robbie Savage to know that such a space can disappear in a matter of days. Lest we forget, there are eight months of football still to be played.

So, far from limping after these tough fixtures, it may just be that City's seemingly measly haul is a pointer towards the positive. Team spirit, growing cohesion among the newcomers, the faithful support of a crowd who can see the bigger picture and a manager who still looks very much like the real deal.

With Liverpool, Manchester United and Everton occupying 11th, 12th and 14th places respectively (and United absent from Europe entirely and already out of the League Cup), there are a few ripe candidates around.

For City, these past few days have shown them to be fit for purpose in the league and in with a chance in Europe. At this stage of proceedings, that will suffice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:26 pm 

really good read, and pretty spot on..
we could in not a long space of time have the best center back pairing in the world. nevermind the prem..

its rosey at the mo ..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm 

Yeah I'd go along with all of that. Kun's debut was the best tho :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:17 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Yeah I'd go along with all of that. Kun's debut was the best tho :-)

if i remember vinnys was not to shabby either..
i think he played quite a bit in midfield and then dropped into defense or vice versa..but i remember thinking, that this lad looks a proper decent player..
i was right.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 am 

Good read that

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:12 pm 

Why is it "surprisingly" favourable? Is Curtis normally a cunt then?

I remember some City fan journo who got all righteous and indignant when Abu Dhabi bought us and wrote a piece saying he wasn't going to support the club anymore. Prick.
I wish I could remember his name, I often wonder who the fuck he's supporting now...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:14 pm 

Mangala looks the fucking business though. I think I heart him already.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:26 pm 

Khabom wrote:

I remember some City fan journo who got all righteous and indignant when Abu Dhabi bought us and wrote a piece saying he wasn't going to support the club anymore. Prick.
I wish I could remember his name, I often wonder who the fuck he's supporting now...

Colin Shindler I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:02 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
Khabom wrote:

Colin Shindler I believe.

That's the fucker - I just found the article he wrote at the time. Seems he wanted a very particular type of owner. Comes across as a bit racist to me - especially bearing in mind that list that he wrote. :naughty:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:35 am 

nah, it was simon hattenstone, guardian journo. shindler is the guy who wrote manchesater city ruined my life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
nah, it was simon hattenstone, guardian journo. shindler is the guy who wrote manchesater city ruined my life.

Now I'm not sure which one it is - or which one is the bigger prick.

Hattenstone in 2008: Because of the sacking of Sven - "Goodbye blue moon, you've left me standing alone."
"I want out. I know that in filing for divorce, I'm not simply splitting up with a football club. There's family and friends."

Hattenstone in 2011: On the eve of the FA Cup final he's a city fan again :confused: "Even the recent crass spending could not diminish the meaning of a cup win to us long-suffering supporters"
"So today we could win our first trophy in 35 years. For many fans in their forties, like me, it wouldn't simply be our victory."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:49 am 

It was Schindler, I remember Squidge raging about him at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:03 pm 

I liked Ali B's debut. And Andy Morrisson's.

I think the press are generally sympathetic towards City atm. There's not a great deal of bile knocking about. that can change pretty rapidly of course...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:35 am 

I think that we are not making too many waves and the press are too happy writing about Utd and Ballotelli best just keeping our heads down and winning quietly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:22 am 

our current squad cost less than united as well, iirc, so the "buying trophies" schtick isn't one we can really be hit with. pellegrini isn't as abrasive as maureen, and we play watchable football.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
our current squad cost less than united as well, iirc, so the "buying trophies" schtick isn't one we can really be hit with. pellegrini isn't as abrasive as maureen, and we play watchable football.

Understatement of the year. Congrats :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm 

Khabom wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:40 pm 

Khabom wrote:
Why is it "surprisingly" favourable? Is Chorlton normally a cunt then?

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:47 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Khabom wrote:

Yes.

Huh? Something I said?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:09 pm 

Chorlton wrote:
Bastard wrote:
Khabom wrote:

Yes.

Huh? Something I said?

Yeah bloody favoritism,bastards not called me a cunt for ages... :snooty: