Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Bad or good. The distinction is important.

MRSAIDS.

Good, I hope. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:26 am 

Bastard wrote:
AIDS apparently.

I'm attending physio on friday next week to see if I'm going to need a full ACL reconstruction or if I can manage without it. Can't really have the operation because it will mean having six weeks minimum off work. Not going to happen. I might have to give up 5 a side and get back into something non-twisting. Thinking I might get a road bike.

Doesn't sound great that.

I know it's easy for me to say this as it's not me that has to find the cash but if you need the op I would give it some serious thought. You like your fitness and cycling is enjoyable in good weather but not much fun in winter. Also, whilst great for fitness it is very time consuming. Roughly 1 hour running = 3 hours cycling.

If you do go for a road bike let me know if you need any pointers though.

On the thread locking.

Frank and I had a chat after Berts pm and we agreed to close it.
Personally I didn't have a problem with it or the discussion of religion on here or anywhere else. Yes, people can get upset but that happens over all sorts of issues and it's part of forum (and general) life. The Mods are here to see it doesn't get out of hand.

In this case I don't think it had however it had been on the go for a fair while and was going round in circles a bit. Everyone appeared to have had their say.

I think the decision to close was fair enough but if the general view is otherwise we can always reopen it.

One last thing Bastard, the Mods can't spend their entire lives reading every thread on here. It isn't a "job" don't forget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:57 am 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:
Doesn't sound great that.

I know it's easy for me to say this as it's not me that has to find the cash but if you need the op I would give it some serious thought. You like your fitness and cycling is enjoyable in good weather but not much fun in winter. Also, whilst great for fitness it is very time consuming. Roughly 1 hour running = 3 hours cycling.

If you do go for a road bike let me know if you need any pointers though.

Cheers. Don;t mind the winter cycling too much, as long as it's not burning-your-face-off-cold.

I think I'm drawing close to a time where I'm going to have to cut out the 5 a side anyway. Neither of my knees are in great nick when it comes to that much intense change of direction/twisting/tackling etc. We play at a pretty hard pace too.

Quote:
On the thread locking.

Frank and I had a chat after Berts pm and we agreed to close it.
Personally I didn't have a problem with it or the discussion of religion on here or anywhere else. Yes, people can get upset but that happens over all sorts of issues and it's part of forum (and general) life. The Mods are here to see it doesn't get out of hand.

In this case I don't think it had however it had been on the go for a fair while and was going round in circles a bit. Everyone appeared to have had their say.

I think the decision to close was fair enough but if the general view is otherwise we can always reopen it.

One last thing Bastard, the Mods can't spend their entire lives reading every thread on here. It isn't a "job" don't forget.

I stand by my view that it didn't need locking. We have football threads that go round in circles, it's inevitable, but there will still be people making valid points along the way. Like I said before, I thought it was a good, balanced discussion and it was interesting to hear a few people's points who'd never spoke up on it before.

I appreciate your point about the modding - obviously you all try to do what's best and you do it very well. Surely it takes less time not to lock a thread than to lock it though??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 am 

Bastard wrote:

I stand by my view that it didn't need locking. We have football threads that go round in circles, it's inevitable, but there will still be people making valid points along the way. Like I said before, I thought it was a good, balanced discussion and it was interesting to hear a few people's points who'd never spoke up on it before.

I appreciate your point about the modding - obviously you all try to do what's best and you do it very well. Surely it takes less time not to lock a thread than to lock it though??

Of course, but then we don't have to keep an eye on the thread anymore do we? The problem we have is that unless someone (a mod) is here keeping a close eye on a thread like this we can find a topic has turned very personal and nasty within 5 or 10 minutes and it then takes a lot of sorting out often involving a huge number of PM's flying around between Mods and members. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. If you offer to do the job it's what you have to be prepared to do. Just trying to point out that sometimes it's better to close a topic before we reach that stage maybe?

Like I said, it was me who actually put the lock on but mainly cos I felt it had run it's course really. Perhaps that was preemptory so I'll unlock it as long as things stay reasonably civil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 am 

Bastard wrote:
Surprised to find when they stuck the camera into my knee there was nothing left of my anterior cruciate ligament at all. All of it completely ripped to fuck and gone. :eek:

Cartilage is sorted though.

ouch, fuck. what they gonna do about that - synthetic or donor, or can they craft it from bits harvested elsewhere in your body? spare banjo string?

also - i thoroughly enjoyed the religion discussion yesterday, sat in the office on me todd cos every other bugger is on leave, and i would've been bored out of my tiny mind without it. and unlike most topics involving religion it was either informative or well humoured, if not both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 am 

I apologise to everyone.

like I said I don't want things getting nasty and people saying things that are offensive to others .

I didn't actually think the thread would be locked. I did not think I had that much power.

My list of people I want banned will be published later today and I will expect immediate action.

Thinks. That won't work as the mods will be top of the list ,so who will ban the others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
I apologise to everyone.

like I said I don't want things getting nasty and people saying things that are offensive to others .

I didn't actually think the thread would be locked. I did not think I had that much power.

My list of people I want banned will be published later today and I will expect immediate action.

Thinks. That won't work as the mods will be top of the list ,so who will ban the others?

can't believe there's been some kind of aggro and i've missed it/not been involved.:mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 am 

you selfish buggers.:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 am 

Bassman, you can edit your posts to add something you think of two seconds later. You're forever double posting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
can't believe there's been some kind of aggro and i've missed it/not been involved.:mad:

Gonna be strange to see Bert's name on the list of "Banned Members" :approve:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
ouch, fuck. what they gonna do about that - synthetic or donor, or can they craft it from bits harvested elsewhere in your body? spare banjo string?

also - i thoroughly enjoyed the religion discussion yesterday, sat in the office on me todd cos every other bugger is on leave, and i would've been bored out of my tiny mind without it. and unlike most topics involving religion it was either informative or well humoured, if not both.

If it needs a reconstruction (it might not, a few weeks of physio will tell) then they'll take a piece of the medial ligament and graft that onto the stumps or whatever's left of the ACL. Big old op though. Pretty horrendous pain and leg in plaster for a good few weeks followed by another God knows how long on crutches/limping/not doing any exercise. Rather do without if I can.

Concur on the religion chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:23 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
I apologise to everyone.

direct appeal to bluemoon?
i get exactly where you were coming from btw, including the scope it had for getting heated/personal/messy, but well... it hadn't so far, and there are few and far between opportunities for such interesting discussion to be honest.
Bastard wrote:
If it needs a reconstruction (it might not, a few weeks of physio will tell) then they'll take a piece of the medial ligament and graft that onto the stumps or whatever's left of the ACL. Big old op though. Pretty horrendous pain and leg in plaster for a good few weeks followed by another God knows how long on crutches/limping/not doing any exercise. Rather do without if I can.

Concur on the religion chat.

frigging ouch. oh i think i know some of that - they split the ligament, then take a couple of bone plugs to reattach the donated bit to the two ends of the joint it needs to be attached to. but yeah, if it is that one i'm thinking off it's painful and you're immobilised for a good long time. it is the kind of thing to get done when you're younger and suffer a few months, rather than leave it and suffer from a completely fucked knee in middle-old age.

hey, could be worse though. know a lad who got drugged, mugged and dumped off a bridge - shattered his left leg about two inches down from the hip joint, when they pulled him out the joint had rotated 90 degrees to the side and popped through the skin. long shot is he has a plate and screws that expand and hurt if he sits in sunlight, the bone is healing funny so after three months he still cannot weight bear on it, and he's been told he will be on crutches til at least january. oh and they seem to have made his leg about an inch longer than it was, so he'll always have a limp/back problems. and he can't work cos he's a doorman and they have no other positions they can put him on.