Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mark Knopfler
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 am 

Mrs. Buff and I went to see Mark Knopfler at the MEN Arena last night. He can't half play that guitar and the band was excellent as well. There was plenty of denim and lots of Hi-Tec trainers in the hall and, as we were an older crowd, everyone sat down, watched, listened and applauded politely after every song, which is just what I wanted. There were still a few twats who whooped and squealed like baboons whenever the music died down slightly, but mostly we just admired a great musician. Even at the end, normally the signal for everyone to rush to the front, a few people strolled from their seats, Hush Puppies making gentle shuffling noises, and just swayed along to Brothers in Arms and So Far Away.
Ah, the joys of being old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:18 am 

Mark Knopfler is a legend, one of the best guitar players ever imo. Walk of Life has always been a favourite of mine, and Romeo and Juiliet is a beautiful song too. My dad always played them growing up and is always banging on about how he wants Brothers in Arms played at his funeral, the morose bastard.

I went to a fancy dress party as MK once and died on my arse. I had the sleeveless shirt and headband but lost my inflatable guitar, so had people coming up to me all night asking what tennis player I was supposed to be. Won't be rushing into that one again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:23 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
Mark Knopfler is a legend, one of the best guitar players ever imo. Walk of Life has always been a favourite of mine, and Romeo and Juiliet is a beautiful song too. My dad always played them growing up and is always banging on about how he wants Brothers in Arms played at his funeral, the morose bastard.

I went to a fancy dress party as MK once and died on my arse. I had the sleeveless shirt and headband but lost my inflatable guitar, so had people coming up to me all night asking what tennis player I was supposed to be. Won't be rushing into that one again.

He was fantastic last night, sat down all evening as he had a bad back, but that didn't detract. Even though he's promoting a new album, he realised that we were all ex-Dire Straits fans and did Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road, Sultans of Swing, Brother in Arms and So far Away from the Straits era to keep everyone happy.
Recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:33 am 

These days I want to sit down at more concerts.

This had led to fights with my sister who wants to stand. She was horrified when I bought balcony seats for Motorhead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:40 am 

slart wrote:
These days I want to sit down at more concerts.

This had led to fights with my sister who wants to stand. She was horrified when I bought balcony seats for Motorhead.

It's much more civilised. I'm at the age where I want to listen to the band, not get pissed, dance like a mong and get pushed around by some sweaty drunks.
I remember seeing David Bowie at Maine Road years ago when some arse-part threw up and splashed everybody. I had to throw my shoes away when I got home as the smell lingered. Last night the only danger of staining was from the ice-cream I had before kick-off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:52 am 

MK and DS are ace.