Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Kara Sea
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am 

This is an email from The Kara Sea aka Eskimo Girl who used to post on v1 and v2.

Quote:

Hey everyone

This week sees the third anniversary of The Kara Sea's first ever gig. It seems like a lot longer ago - as you might already know, The Kara Sea has not been active for nearly two years now due to my ill-health. I suffer from ME, on the moderate to severe end of the spectrum and am now 90% housebound and largely bedridden. This has meant I have been unable to write and record songs, or play gigs, for a long time.

So, the inevitable time has come when I feel I have to make it official and draw a line under The Kara Sea. My illness has been progressive over these last few years, and it's unlikely I'll be able to return to the musician's lifestyle for another few years at least, if ever. Many kind people have been getting in touch with me to offer gigs, slots on compilation albums, and other kinds of support. Although touched by the attention, I have been politely declining these offers, and I now feel it's probably time to let you all know to cross The Kara Sea off your list of potential artists/collaborators!

I had a blast being The Kara Sea. I only recorded a handful of songs but they were received so well it blew my mind, and opened doors for me to work with some people I have admired for years. I travelled the country with my omnichord smothered in bubble wrap under my arm, and my music was always warmly received, for which I am incredibly grateful to all of you and glad I had the chance to do what little I did.

It would be too cheesy to do a roll-call of thank yous, but no doubt if you deserve one you know who you are. Being The Kara Sea allowed me to meet some great people and some very talented bands, and I'm very grateful to all of you who went out of your way to help me get along.

I may record and gig again if my health improves enough, but in the meantime I'm going to be concentrating the little energies I have on the political side of things. I will be campaigning against the Welfare Reform Bill, on behalf of sick and disabled people like myself who now face the prospect of sanctions against our income, and bullying into taking jobs we are not fit for and are unsafe for us to do. If you are interested in this campaign work, please contact me and I will fill you in - the more people we have on board, the merrier!

Otherwise, thank you for your support these last three years (and an extra-special thank you to those whose support stretches back into the Valentine/Megarider days), and I hope you've enjoyed the few songs that make up the fruits of The Kara Sea's labours. You can download all my recorded material for free from MySpace or from last.fm; if you like the songs, please consider making a donation to one of these two charities who are working to help people with M.E.

The 25% ME Group - http://www.25megroup.org - campaigns on behalf of the 25% of M.E. sufferers in the UK who are severely affected, housebound and bedridden.

Invest In ME - http://www.investinme.org - fundraises for biomedical research into the causes and effects of M.E.

Thanks again, everyone, and happy travels!

Sarah / The Kara Sea. xx

http://www.adventuresinthekarasea.net/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/karasea/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 am 

Good poster, and from what I heard of her tunes, good musician. Shame about her illness preventing her from doing what she so obviously loves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 am 

Never met her - I think she went to a few meet ups years ago.

I have a copy of one of her cds. Lovely music - people should give it a spin if they get a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:19 am 

I remember her, good tunes as well and has some videos on myspace/youtube. Wasnt my sort of music but she had a unique and cool sound. I used to write and keep in touch quite a bit, she was in Glasgow last I heard, such a shame her illness has progressed.

Good luck and get well soon Eskimo Blue. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:20 am 

me? is that that the shaky one or the lazy one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:22 am 

lazy and dozy. good way to get free steroids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:22 am 

was she fuckable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:23 am 

ME is a bad thing. My first wife had it and was confined to her bed a lot. She recovered with the help of an immunologist who put her on a strict diet as he felt her auto immune system was under attack from too many additives and e numbers.
The diet is Lamb (generally fed on unfertilised ground) potatos (again generally unfertilised) pears (not treated with as many pesticides as other fruit)and to drink ----- champagne (no additives allowed).

You will laugh. It worked and she has been well for some years. She eats other things now but is always careful to avoid additives where possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 am 

Yes Paddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:30 am 

I suffer from something that is very similar to M.E

I hope you find a way to return to what you love Kara Sea, best of luck in fighting this ***** of an illness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 am 

Reverse Therapy has cured at lease 2 people I know of ME, one of them was so bad they were confined to a wheelchair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:13 pm 

paddy... he could be the cure. "repulse therapy"

and i know it's a serious condition, i can't help it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 pm 

She was a nice girl. Used to work for a mate's record label a few years ago.

Hadn't heard anything of her in ages. Now we know why. What a shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm 

i remember her and i remember that ive listened her music on myspace. too bad that shes ill. is there any contact info that i can wish her my best?