Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Slart
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 pm 

Slayer, Mastodon and Trivium. The wife's dragging me to see all three in October, are they any good live??

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:23 pm 

Slayer are fuckin awesome live. I've always missed Mastodon when they've been on tour in the past but would love to see them. Not arsed about Trivium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:24 pm 

Badger wrote:
Slayer are fuckin awesome live. I've always missed Mastodon when they've been on tour in the past but would love to see them. Not arsed about Trivium.

Forgot u were into that jive too Badge, sorry mate!
I wanna see Slayer do Raining Blood, never heard of Mastodon, and only like one Trivium one. Told the wife I wasn't going into the pit, but fuck that! Gonna get black eyes and everything I think, should be a good impression in my second month at Uni!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 pm 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
Forgot u were into that jive too Badge, sorry mate!
I wanna see Slayer do Raining Blood, never heard of Mastodon, and only like one Trivium one. Told the wife I wasn't going into the pit, but fuck that! Gonna get black eyes and everything I think, should be a good impression in my second month at Uni!!!

Listen to "Leviathan" and "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon, both modern day classic albums. I know slart's seen them supporting Tool and said they were very good and brutally heavy.

Did you mention on another thread you might be going to see DragonForce in Sept? I might be going to that.

*goes to buy tickets for Mastodon*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:35 pm 

Badger wrote:
Listen to "Leviathan" and "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon, both modern day classic albums. I know slart's seen them supporting Tool and said they were very good and brutally heavy.

Did you mention on another thread you might be going to see DragonForce in Sept? I might be going to that.

*goes to buy tickets for Mastodon*

Not me, my brother is going. Through Fire And Flames is a great song though.
29th October at the MuEN Arena Mastodon and Slayer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 pm 

Hope this tour comes to Dublin.

I've seen Slayer at least 10 times, Mastodon 4 times and Trivium 3-4 times.

Slayer are the rowdiest band you will ever see. Enter the mosh pit at your peril. Mastodon have made some of the best metal albums in recent years. Badger is right. You must listen to Blood Mountain and Leviathan before the gig. The first time I saw them I saw a lad falling out of the mosh pit with a broken nose in the first 30 sedonds of the gig. Always a good sign. When they played on The Point (big shed) with Tool they didn't come across as well as they do in a smaller hall. Trivium are trainee metal for young kids. Their albums are mostly good.

Go to youtube and search for Slayer 2006 and Trivium 2006 to get an idea of what to expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 pm 

slart wrote:
Hope this tour comes to Dublin.

I've seen Slayer at least 10 times, Mastodon 4 times and Trivium 3-4 times.

Slayer are the rowdiest band you will ever see. Enter the mosh pit at your peril. Mastodon have made some of the best metal albums in recent years. Badger is right. You must listen to Blood Mountain and Leviathan before the gig. The first time I saw them I saw a lad falling out of the mosh pit with a broken nose in the first 30 sedonds of the gig. Always a good sign. When they played on The Point (big shed) with Tool they didn't come across as well as they do in a smaller hall. Trivium are trainee metal for young kids. Their albums are mostly good.

Go to youtube and search for Slayer 2006 and Trivium 2006 to get an idea of what to expect.

Saw a video you posted of Raining Blood at Download a while ago, that was enough for me to know I don't wanna go in, but there's a part of me thinking "fuck it, you only live once, let's go get killed!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:48 pm 

Saw a video you posted of Raining Blood at Download a while ago, that was enough for me to know I don't wanna go in, but there's a part of me thinking "fuck it, you only live once, let's go get killed!"

I actually went into a pit on Monday at Iggy and the Stooges. I wasn't even the oldest one moshing. It was a bit soft. I was even able to keep my glasses on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:49 pm 

slart wrote:
I actually went into a pit on Monday at Iggy and the Stooges. I wasn't even the oldest one moshing. It was a bit soft. I was even able to keep my glasses on!

I've been in one pit, and that was Good Charlotte... I'm expecting to die at this next one! Should be a giggle... If I have enough Vodka I should be fine though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:50 pm 

First time I saw Slayer was Donny 1995 at just 14 years of age and I was right in the thick of the pit. You were probably there as well slart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 pm 

Badger wrote:
First time I saw Slayer was Donny 1995 at just 14 years of age and I was right in the thick of the pit. You were probably there as well slart.

Didn't get to that one. Saw Slayer in SFX Hall in North Dublin around that time. The venue is a concrete box and the bands sound like a jet engine - only louder. There was also no ventilation so it got very hot and the dry ice didn't clear out of the venue. Great fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:00 pm 

slart wrote:
[color="Red"]Didn't get to that one[/color]. Saw Slayer in SFX Hall in North Dublin around that time. The venue is a concrete box and the bands sound like a jet engine - only louder. There was also no ventilation so it got very hot and the dry ice didn't clear out of the venue. Great fun!

It was brilliant. Slayer, Machine Head, White Zombie, Skid Row (they were pretty good, Sebastian Bach is a good showman), Therapy? (Troublegum is still one of my alltime favourite albums), Warrior Soul (remember them? Nope, didn't think so), COC, Slash's Snakepit and Metallica headlining. Superb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:05 pm 

Badger wrote:
It was brilliant. Slayer, Machine Head, White Zombie, Skid Row (they were pretty good, Sebastian Bach is a good showman), Therapy? (Troublegum is still one of my alltime favourite albums), Warrior Soul (remember them? Nope, didn't think so), COC, Slash's Snakepit and Metallica headlining. Superb.

Good line up. I knew some of the lads from Therapy? around that time. Used to get freebies to their shows.

They once played a secret show in Dublin to break in a new drummer prior to touring America. They hired an upstairs room in The Whitehorse pub on the quays. A few months before that they had played to about 7,000 in The Point less than a mile away.

They had to stop the gig when the barman downstairs noticed that the ceiling was starting to buckle with the moshing going on upstairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:07 pm 

slart wrote:
Good line up. I knew some of the lads from Therapy? around that time. Used to get freebies to their shows.

They once played a secret show in Dublin to break in a new drummer prior to touring America. They hired an upstairs room in The Whitehorse pub on the quays. A few months before that they had played to about 7,000 in The Point less than a mile away.

They had to stop the gig when the barman downstairs noticed that the ceiling was starting to buckle with the moshing going on upstairs.

Seen Therapy? a few times, always a good show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 pm 

Badger wrote:
Seen Therapy? a few times, always a good show.

Do you agree with spending money to see a band more than once?
I've never seen a band more than once intentionally. I saw a band called Sergeant twice, but only because they were supporting two seperate bands. My first second gig (if that makes sense) is Courteeners in October, is it worth doing, or can they be a disappointment the second time round?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 pm 

I've never seen a band more than once intentionally. I saw a band called Sergeant twice, but only because they were supporting two seperate bands. My first second gig (if that makes sense) is Courteeners in October, is it worth doing, or can they be a disappointment the second time round?

I've seen loads of bands more than once. Different venues give different sounds and atmospheres so why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:12 pm 

Badger wrote:
I've seen loads of bands more than once. Different venues give different sounds and atmospheres so why not?

I suppose yeah. I saw the Bravery at the Apollo, and they were great, but then saw them at T and they were shite, and it was a similar story with the Fratelli's, so thats sorta put me off, but we'll see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:20 pm 

Depends. Saw Rush 3 times on the R30 tour. Twice in Wembley and once in Manchester MEN. Saw Brian Wilson's Smile on the first and second nights in the Festival Hall.

Its good to see a band over a number of years. Saw Muse as a support act in a tiny club in Temple Bar and will be seeing them in Marly Park this summer.

I'd say I've seen Van Morrison more than any other act. Maybe 20 times - he plays a lot of festivals and shows in Ireland of course. Never seen him with the same band or play the same set twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:22 pm 

I suppose yeah. I saw the Bravery at the Apollo, and they were great, but then saw them at T and they were shite, and it was a similar story with the Fratelli's, so thats sorta put me off, but we'll see

although i do have the debut album, i find that they've become slightly annoying, and are over-rated. Annoying, in that Kooks kind of way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 pm 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
although i do have the debut album, i find that they've become slightly annoying, and are over-rated. Annoying, in that Kooks kind of way.

Not heard the 2nd album yet, I've heard 2 mixed reviews though, so shall be making my own mind up on that one