Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 pm 

Im deliberating way to hard over this...

I will be back to honor this thread with 10 of the best...
but heres a little insight into the thought process at a early stage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzgODI4osy4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
Im deliberating way to hard over this...

I will be back to honor this thread with 10 of the best...
but heres a little insight into the thought process at a early stage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzgODI4osy4

12, 12 songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:47 pm 

Benny wrote:
12, 12 songs.

12...oh man, that ease's the pressure somewhat...

Im wondering if to go right from the start...:confused:

*wonders if showaddywaddy will result in a instant ban*:D

Im gonna spend some time tomorrow afternoon obsessing over this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 am 

1.Otis Redding & Carla Thomas – Tramp
2.Nik Kershaw – Dancing Girls
3.Iron Maiden – Hallowed Be Thy Name
4.Depeche Mode – Policy of Truth
5.The Smiths – That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
6.The Prodigy – Your Love
7.Faith No More – Faster Disco
8.Verve – Blue
9.Snoop Doggy Dogg – Gz and Hustlas
10.They Might Be Giants – Ana Ng
11.The Charlatans – One To Another
12.Keith - Mona Lisa's Child ( Alan Braxe and Fred Falke Mix)

Tramp – Probably the first record that made me realise the joy of music and dancing, when I was about 8. My mum and dad had a few old soul albums knocking about and this was on an Atlantic Records compilation that I taped and played endlessly on my first ever Walkman. Or generic Alba portable cassette player as it more likely was. I loved the beat, and how it dovetailed with everything else in the song. Genius.

Dancing Girls – I was mad for Nik Kershaw's first two albums, they probably came out either side of me being ten. This song got me started obsessing about electronica and was a precursor to a huge love of synth music. It still sounds really sharp.

Hallowed Be Thy Name – I vividly remember a Lucozade advert in the mid eighties with Daley Thompson bursting from the blocks to the accompaniment of Maiden's “The Phantom of the Opera”. I was sold. Went down Rochdale market with my dad the following saturday and bought their Live After Death double album. I was astounded. Every song was fucking brilliant. This one has always stood out, and still reminds me of clumsily learning to play the guitar parts. My first metal love (of many).

Policy of Truth – More synths. DM's Violator was the first CD I ever bought. Probably like many other people's first CDs it got hammered to death. I was doing GCSEs and it was a perfect soundtrack to the miserable lonely revision I was being forced to do. Great album. This song just beats “Enjoy The Silence” because of the synths.

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore - I think a lot of people my age got into The Smiths by borrowing their older siblings' records. I did. Played them a lot through my mid teens. I can distinctly remember listening to this on an A level biology field trip in Bangor youth hostel looking out over the straits. I felt a really satisfied melancholy desolation, which I think is probably the right emotion to go with most of their songs.

Your Love – More synths, only now I was going out getting wrecked. I've gone mental to this tune in more clubs than I've got any chance of remembering. Still sends me a bit spazzy now.

Faster Disco – Metal. Synths. Oh Yes. Between 89 and 95 or thereabouts I was totally hooked on the American alternative rock scene. FNM, Chilli Peppers, Pixies, all the Sub Pop and Seattle bands, Janes Addiction, Pumpkins etc etc. Spent a lot of time in The Ritz, Rock World, The Banshee and all the rest of the grotty holes that were open at the time. I'm not sure who I really got into first, it was either the Chilli Peppers or Faith No More. FNM are probably my favourite ever band though, and I think this is my favourite song by them.

Blue – this was around the time I really got into smoking weed, and realising just what it meant for appreciating music on a whole new level. I'd have been doing A levels and Mark Goodier used to present the evening alternative show that Zane Lowe currently does on Radio 1. He played this on a sunny weekday evening when I was feeling particularly relaxed and something just clicked. Music and weed. Ahhhhh. Music and Weed. I went back and really listened again to a lot of my albums and things started to sound completely different. That's when I really got The Stone Roses album.

Gz and Hustlas – Picking a hip hop track was tricky. I've got one to go with almost every milestone in my life since Licensed To Ill came out. Snoop's album came out in my first year at Uni and this really takes me back to being in halls, away from home for the first time and getting up to all sorts in my room with this album on. And what do you want to be when you grow up? I wanna be a muthfuckin hustla. You betta ax somebody.

Ana Ng – I hardly ever meet anyone else who likes They Might Be Giants. They'd be in my top five bands ever. I worked in Afflecks part time for five years while I was studying and stuff, and always had a few TMBG tapes in the shop. They got lots of airplay in there. This is a really basic minimal tune - synth, guitar, drum machine and vocals all just about doing enough. I've often tried to replicate this simplicity in my current band.

One To Another – I heart The Charlatans. The Chemical Brothers chipped in with some backing loops on here and it might just represent the start of a big rock/dance crossover that I'm still hugely into. This song invokes many very fond memories of going ballistic at lots of their gigs. Many very fond memories of going out with a bird from Middlewich for 5 years who was also a massive fan.

Mona Lisa's Child – I wanted to include a taste of the type of thing I listen to now. Its that rock/dance thing, with some fabulous synthage. Keith are a good Manchester band, the original's very quirky. They somehow got my favourite remixers, Braxe and Falke, to do a re-rub and its one of my favourite tunes of the last few years. Always in my record box if I'm Djing anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm 

OK, this was tough (and I reserve the right to edit). A great Idea Benny, I am going to burn this comp.

Motorhead – Overkill: I just didn’t understand why people were bothered about music until I heard this track, an epiphany as they say, about 13 at the time.

Stiff Little Fingers – Alternative Ulster: Could have been any number of punk songs, while I still liked metal (and still do) I preferred the rougher sound of punk. I choose this track in particular because it coincided with my realisation that there was a huge amount of bullshit/hypocrisy flying around the world. That realisation centred around the fact that, in Northern Ireland, protestants were murdered (often viscously) whereas catholics were simply killed or caught in the crossfire. All I saw was human beings dying.

Sisters of Mercy – Temple of Love: Would have to feature on the soundtrack of the clubs I was visiting/working at the time, The Ritz on a Monday night, Devilles, The Banshee and The Venue (I think - that little one on Whitworth St). Not forgetting Berlin and the Boardwalk.

Dead Kennedys – Forward to Death: From Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - the album that introduced me US hardcore, an absolutely awesome album that still gives me goosebumps. Extremely difficult to pick a favourite and it would probably be a different track next month. They are the band that I would have most liked to see live but never did.

Conflict – The Ungovernable Force: More hardcore but this time of the British variety. I loved the passion and intensity of the music. The gigs were an amazing experience, chaos with a fantastic musical backdrop, getting yourself in the pit was essential. I would get to a few dates on any good tour at this stage of my life.

Napalm Death – The Kill: More or less the pinnacle of my quest for harder and faster. From their first album Scum and I rode the wave of this developing genre. Once again the live experience was incredible, in the 20-30 secs that most bands would have been getting it together these guys (and many of their counterparts) would have belted a track out at breakneck speed (and generally pretty tightly). Sadly a few people got injured, usually from going off the stage as a song was about to finish and the crowd relaxed, if you wanted the full experience you had to be at the front. The gods of grind tour has to be mentioned at this point.

Manchester 89: I honestly couldn’t give you a track, I was back in Manc for the summer of 89 and what a great summer it was, 808, The Roses and The Mondays. Unknown to me, I had been hitting the dancefloor in the Ritz to So Young by The Roses a couple of years previously but I didn’t make the association. Although I didn’t realise at the time it started to move me away from the turbo charged speedfest I was listening to most of the time.

The Beatnigs – Burritos: A very transitional period as I started to move away from guitar driven music. I was listening to a bit of Gangsta (F. the Police got me started on that) but I got a bit bored with the macho/gun crap. I was also listening to a bit of industrial stuff (which I got into from downtempo Earache stuff like Godflesh and Scorn) and I suppose this track is a kind of mixture of the two genres.

Eat Static – Gulf Breeze: My move away from the guitar was complete. Although it was their first Peel Sessions (Area 51, Bioforms and Zardi – on vinyl) that made me see the light, Gulf Breeze is my favourite Eat Static track. I was totally engrossed by electronic music where the only limitation to the sound you want to make is your imagination. At this stage I considered guitar music to be dead. This has been misconstrued in the past, I still love the sound of the guitar but as a creative tool I think it has lost to the infinite possibilities that electronic music can offer.

Hardfloor – Lost in the Silver Box: From the album TB resuscitation, what can I say about the TB 303 synth - I really cannot tell you what it is about that little box of tricks that does it for me but it certainly does it right, those basslines are spine-tingling, made me fall in love with the 303 the way acid house never came close to doing.

A+E Dept – The name of the Rabbit was…: Some blistering acid (303 driven) techno, absolutely monumental stuff. I have been listening to electronic music in its various forms for the last 15+ years. It was extremely difficult to pick a track that covers that timescale so in keeping with the rest of my selection I have gone for something that inspired me early on and opened up a completely new genre for me. There could have been any number of artists/genres in here e.g. chillout - William Orbit (great for keeping me calm playing poker); psytrance – Slinky Wizard, Simon Posford; hardhouse/NRG – Tinrib can’t go without a mention (hope these haven’t earned me a deletion).

Lastly… I may be getting on but there is no way I am not done yet!However, I haven’t heard anything that’s grabbed me for ages (for perhaps a couple of reasons), but I am open to suggestions…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:53 pm 

Is Gulf Breeze the wiggly song?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:58 pm 

Benny wrote:
Is Gulf Breeze the wiggly song?

It is (I think)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:59 pm 

Markered Man wrote:
It is (I think)

Excellent. I found it hard not to put higher state of consciousness on as a memory from those days. Particularly after smoking oil...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:08 pm 

Should have done fella, was a favorite in the Krazy House if I remember correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 pm 

John williams: Starwars theme 1977.
As a 7 year old kid this was proberley the first time music effected me in a profound way. And i still love to this day.
Starwars theme

Sex pistols:Anarchy in the uk
I think it was my 10th birthday, i got some money and my nan took me to alty to Peter J Swales that used to be on george street, and there i bought my first record 'The great rock and roll swindle'. If my nan had any idea that i was buying then i would have no chance...
Anarchy in the uk. 1st tv performance

Adam an the ants:Kings of the wild frontier
Maybe the 2nd record of any note i bought..Its laughed at by some now, but this was huge, and i loved it and they had a unique sound and look.
Kings of the wild frontier

Smokey robinson & the miracles: The tracks of my tears
I grew up with motown and northern soul and the like, if my mum was'nt playing smokey or otis redding then it would be something just as cool..
Smokey

Kraftwerk:The robots
Right here i could write a essay ..Pioneering innovation,groundbreaking originals will do nicely. The robots is a perfect example of what the lads are all about and the beginning of electronica.
Kraftwerk:the robots

The Human league: being boiled
I could have gone with anything from these days, even though this was very early HL.But depeche mode/ultravox/visage/soft cell you name it,duran duran..i could do a list just from these.
But im going with being boiled as it was fucking light years ahead..
Human League.Being boiled

Man parrish:boogie down bronx
Well this was the start of Eletro and breakdancing and hiphop.
Ive found it so hard to put tracks from this era of my life, they all mean so much.
Man parrish

Mantronix: Needle to the grove
Curtis mantronik and MC tee...My first major gig and maybe the best ever, 1986 In the Hacienda. Pure chaos the place was rammed,folks surging forwards squashing us 16 year old white boys at the front, i fucking loved it..
King of the beats curtis wreckin the 1&2's a true epic night...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcV4Rz-O2Ss&feature=related"Mantronix[/URL]Beastie boys: no sleep till brooklyn
Had to be something from licensed to ill, but shi i could have picked anything from the boys.On the original def jam tour, all the shit they were getting..white rappers that'll never last..poor ll cool j and run dmc had to follow these on stage..thats a tough act to follow..Much love and respect..

Model 500:Sound of stereo
Juan atkins.Single handedly created 'TECHNO' music with a tune called clear in 1982. He was the 1st to call it techno music and is recognised as the godfather of this. I really should have chosen 'Clear' as that is the breakaway tune from electro/hiphop to techno. But no Sound of stereo is just pure love and mathematics. Juan is the man....
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGGdC_Vh9mI&feature=related]Model 500..[/url]

Underground Resistance:The Theory
Jeff mills and mike banks..Maybe my favourite piece of music of any ilk ever.Its perfection for me ...
UR The theory

Soundgarden:Black hole sun
After surviving sex drugs and acid house, I opened up what had been blinkered eyes and pure blind faith to the sound of the detroit underground, and this was the first song to open them eyes ..I was hooked.
A pivotal moment for me really...
Black hole sun

Well thats the 12, ive run out of cd space..
Theres loads missing that i could put on there.Big mentions for prince and the revolution/ queen/david bowie/tears for fears/ Ahh i could go on and on..
But i could not leave out any on the list as it stands..

They might mean sod all to anyone else, but to me its everything....:approve:

Peace...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 pm 

I like this thread. Glad I read that book :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm 

Right for some reason some tracks have no posted..?:confused:
This was missing and should be right in there.
Beastie boys: no sleep till brooklyn
Had to be something from licensed to ill, but shi i could have picked anything from the boys.On the original def jam tour, all the shit they were getting..white rappers that'll never last..poor ll cool j and run dmc had to follow these on stage..thats a tough act to follow..Much love and respect..

And this.
Model 500:Sound of stereo
Juan atkins.Single handedly created 'TECHNO' music with a tune called clear in 1982. He was the 1st to call it techno music and is recognised as the godfather of this. I really should have chosen 'Clear' as that is the breakaway tune from electro/hiphop to techno. But no Sound of stereo is just pure love and mathematics. Juan is the man....
Model 500..

Thats the 12...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 pm 

Benny wrote:

Now read the other two :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 pm 

Squidge wrote:
Now read the other two :D

Had them, read them ages ago. It's good actually Reading him and Stuart maconie, they both wrote for NME when I used to buy it, many moons ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:36 am 

Benny wrote:

An excellent thread, it's interesting seeing other people's history and has pointed out some bands that have passed me by and also reminded me that I really need to sort my turnatable out.

However, it's a bit frustrating for me at the moment because my main system is out of commission due to work on the gaff. I have a new (to me, 2nd hand really) set of speakers that I am gaging to give a good work out (sorry in advance neighbours). It has been 6+ months now (it's really wrecking my head) and I have given too much thought to what the first CD I play will be - when I finally get set up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am 

Benny wrote:

which book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 pm 

1. House of Fun - Madness
2. Ghost Town - Specials
3. Always a Woman to Me - Billy Joel
4. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
5. Red Red Wine - UB40
6. Fulsome Prison - Johnny Cash
7. Wonderwall - Oasis
8. Adored - Stone Roses
9. Fairytale of New York - Pogues
10. Lorelei - Pogues
11. The Gambler - Kenny Rogers - (fuck off - it's a great song)
12. Stan - Eminem

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
2. Ghost Town - Specials
5. Red Red Wine - UB40
7. Wonderwall - Oasis
8. Adored - Stone Roses
10. Lorelei - Pogues
12. Stan - Eminem

Back story please timps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
2. Ghost Town - Specials
5. Red Red Wine - UB40
7. Wonderwall - Oasis
8. Adored - Stone Roses
10. Lorelei - Pogues
12. Stan - Eminem

1 - Just one of the best Madness songs ever - and thats saying something. I was (and still am) heavily into Ska and Two Tone

2 - One of the best songs ever written, after nearly thirty years, it still gives me goosebumps

3 - Billy Joel was a genius in the seventies and eighties, this song is a three minute description of how women can fuck you up but you still love them (wife)

4- The song at my wedding

5- I have a thing for bands that people slag off but are actually very, very good. And this song has summer written all over it

6 - It's Johnny Cash, singing about prison and listening to the trains go by - whats not to love?

7 - First Oasis song listened to and still love it - they were actually very good you know

8 - Got laid for the first time listening to this

9 - Cliff Richard and Christmas? Fuck off - this is christmas, fighting, drinking, arrests, the lot

10 - A haunting song that gives me goosebumps, and proves that McGowan can actually sing

11 - Two men meet on a train and the older man gives the other advice for life before dying in his sleep - my dads fave and one of mine

12 - A warning about people treating other people like objects, aimed at both stars and everyone else

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:19 pm 

Ohhh, I didn't really think of a summer song but a good few years ago I went into town one random dinnertime when it was warmish but a bit cloudy (a bit after easter time). I can't remember what I actually went in for but I picked up Babylon by Bus, a live album by Bob and the Wailers. I got back to work, slamed in the CD player as the clouds were parting and that was the start of a stonking summer. I love that album!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next