Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Elbow album
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:14 am 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_7632000/7632266.stm

Elbow are set to record an album of children's songs.

The Nationwide Mercury Prize winners are planning to follow up their recent record, The Seldom Seen Kid, with a special project after being inspired by their own kids

Frontman Guy Garvey said: "I want to do something that really fires kids' imaginations."

The band are hoping to begin work on the new project before they kick off their UK tour on 6 October.
"We initially thought that it would be great to make music for children because the lads in the band have got kids and they were saying how little really decent music for children there is," Garvey told Billboard.

"The more that we thought about it the more that we liked the idea.

"We've quite often been up for having songs on children's animated films, but we thought that it would be great to actually be at the starting point for that process."

The band are also planning to release an animated film to accompany the album.

Garvey added: "I'm thinking that's it going to be something to do with flying (in) dreams."

The band's current album is sitting at Number Eight in the official UK singles chart following their Mercury Prize victory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like fun.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:15 am 

I don't really like Elbow. I had their debut album when it came out probably some 10 years back, and i find them to be boring. Maybe it's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_7632000/7632266.stm

Elbow are set to record an album of children's songs.

The Nationwide Mercury Prize winners are planning to follow up their recent record, The Seldom Seen Kid, with a special project after being inspired by their own kids

Frontman Guy Garvey said: "I want to do something that really fires kids' imaginations."

The band are hoping to begin work on the new project before they kick off their UK tour on 6 October.
"We initially thought that it would be great to make music for children because the lads in the band have got kids and they were saying how little really decent music for children there is," Garvey told Billboard.

"The more that we thought about it the more that we liked the idea.

"We've quite often been up for having songs on children's animated films, but we thought that it would be great to actually be at the starting point for that process."

The band are also planning to release an animated film to accompany the album.

Garvey added: "I'm thinking that's it going to be something to do with flying (in) dreams."

The band's current album is sitting at Number Eight in the official UK singles chart following their Mercury Prize victory. -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like fun.

That's cheating, surely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:26 am 

Its a good shout - kids' music is usually pretty crap. I'd imagine Elbow can churn out a few kids songs with a wry northern twist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
Some people slag off elbow.....I can see why. However do they ever really listen to them properly, I think not. Their albums need a good few plays to get the vibe and I suggest a decent stereo system a decent pair of headphones and a relaxed atmos to really enjoy Elbow to the full.

I spent sunday evening with a nice bottle of red, still high from the city match listening to elbows new album....bliss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:54 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
Some people slag off elbow.....I can see why. However do they ever really listen to them properly, I think not. Their albums need a good few plays to get the vibe and I suggest a decent stereo system a decent pair of headphones and a relaxed atmos to really enjoy Elbow to the full.

I spent sunday evening with a nice bottle of red, still high from the city match listening to elbows new album....bliss

oh, you need a decent stereo to listen to absolutely anything.