Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:20 pm 

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
I think it involves a total rejection of human values, thereby denigrating the soul. But again I don't know much about this. We need someone who knows more.

I have the references pretty much as names. I just got The Antichrist though so I'm going to start reading that soon ;)

Oh right. Erm, i'm probably not at all one then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:21 pm 

Benny wrote:
It's all from The Big Lebowski. You should watch it by the way, you'll be in for a treat.

I forced my girlfriend to watch it last week. She wasn't that impressed Tal Ben Haim, and she didn't like Hudsucker Proxy that much either. I'm going to try Fargo next.

It won't tell you that much about nihilism though

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:22 pm 

Squidge wrote:
Oh right. Erm, i'm probably not at all one then.

You bloody are. Don't be shy.

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:31 pm 

Bloc Party
Oasis - "repetitive Luddites".
"They claim to be inspired by the Beatles but, and this so saddens me, they have failed to grasp that the Beatles were about constant change and evolution"

Squidge - "So what Oasis are influenced by The Beatles, they certainly aren't "the beatles slowed down". Although, they do a fantastic cover of "I am the walrus". In my opinion 'tis better than the original.

Oasis - best band ever"

"And, whether a fan of them as people, musicians, both or neither, it is hard to deny Noel Gallagher as one of the finest lyricists of the last 20 years"

Not as bad as I was expecting actually.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:35 pm 

But i've already retracted the Noel G = best lyricist one, so that's irrelevant.

I don't understand why you have quoted Bloc Party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:36 pm 

Squidge wrote:
But i've already retracted the Noel G = best lyricist one, so that's irrelevant.

I don't understand why you have quoted Bloc Party.

Cos I like what they say.

Yeah it's not a great haul to be honest.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:39 pm 

All you doubters right, go out and by the Masterplan. it's their B-sides album, and some of them are better than their A-sides, in fact most of them are better than any bands singles. Now i'm not saying that you doubters are not entitled to your opinion coz of course you are but if you can name me one of the bands of today that will still be going strong in 15 years time i'll eat my hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMazI2ROJXM This is the title track of the B sides album, it's a masterpiece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:43 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
All you doubters right, go out and by the Masterplan. it's their B-sides album, and some of them are better than their A-sides, in fact most of them are better than any bands singles. Now i'm not saying that you doubters are not entitled to your opinion coz of course you are but if you can name me one of the bands of today that will still be going strong in 15 years time i'll eat my hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMazI2ROJXM This is the title track of the B sides album, it's a masterpiece.

Does going strong equate to making the same music though?

Bands split up because of creative differences. If you're all happy to do the same old stuff there won't be any.

Radiohead have been going since before Oasis and their output is much more varied. Whether they'kll still be going come 15 years I don't know.

Since when does longevity equate to greatness anyway?

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:47 pm 

Micahrichardsatemybaby wrote:
Does going strong equate to making the same music though?

Bands split up because of creative differences. If you're all happy to do the same old stuff there won't be any.

Radiohead have been going since before Oasis and their output is much more varied. Whether they'kll still be going come 15 years I don't know.

Since when does longevity equate to greatness anyway?

Is it the same old music or is it just the Oasis sound???

They just play good out Rock N Roll music, Songbird though is say different to Lyla and Lyla is different to Rockin chair, and Rockin chair is different to Headshrinker. i could go on but i won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:53 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Is it the same old music or is it just the Oasis sound???

They just play good out Rock N Roll music, Songbird though is say different to Lyla and Lyla is different to Rockin chair, and Rockin chair is different to Headshrinker. i could go on but i won't.

I just don't think they deviate far from good old rock and roll music. And that's over the course of five albums (is it six?)
I'll listen to the songs you say though, but I would expect most bands who've been at the forefront of British music for 15 years to have more than four songs which sound different from each other. I don't even think it all sounds identical, just that their albums are full of lots of filler alongside the odd song which sounds different.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:06 pm 

Noel has done some tunes with the Chemical brothers, and Liam with the prodigy and Death in Vegas, i know thats not oasis but yer know they're willing to dip their toes in different territory outside of the band, anyone remember Temper Temper by Goldie???? Noel was on that, it's shit.
I don't know what to expect from Dig out your Soul, some people say it's their heaviest sound yet, whether yer call that experimenting i don't know, as long as it ain't like Bon Jovi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:32 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:

I'm a "doubter". The Masterplan's a good compilation. Those songs are from the mid-nineties though, so they can hardly be used as a defence for the shite they've churned out in the twelve or maybe more years since that came out.

A band that'll still be going strong in 15 years' time? Impossible to say, obviously. Again that's irrelevant because Oasis have been a long way from going strong since 1994.