Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
Not to mention the worst singing voice since Orville.

mark King? i agree.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:31 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Slap bass is fookin horrible. Mark King, 80's bad mullets, jackets with the sleeves rolled up etc,etc, awful.

So people like Louis Johnson, Bernard Edwards and Bootsy Collins had 80's mullets and "jackets with the sleeves rolled up etc,etc" when they were playing slap bass in the mid seventies did they Bassman? You fucking halfwit.

You were practically wanking yourself off one here one day after you'd managed to play some (probably very shit) slap bass one weekend. I seem to remember a name change even ensued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 am 

Bastard wrote:
So people like Louis Johnson, Bernard Edwards and Bootsy Collins had 80's mullets and "jackets with the sleeves rolled up etc,etc" when they were playing slap bass in the mid seventies did they Bassman? You fucking halfwit.

You were practically wanking yourself off one here one day after you'd managed to play some (probably very shit) slap bass one weekend. I seem to remember a name change even ensued.

Saw Bootsy a few weeks ago playing a tribute to James Brown. I was up the front when the great man handed me the mic and I treated the audience to my vocal debut. It was fun at the time but I'm glad it hasn't ended up on youtube.

My singing career came to an abrupt end when Bootsy slam dived on me and shoved his way into the audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 am 

Bastard wrote:

Was it "SlapBassman"?

Please say it was even if it wasn't! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:59 am 

Bastard wrote:

I beg your pardon. I have never played slap bass in my life, so do me a favour and get your facts right. Must have been someone else your confusing me with. I have never, and would never play slap bass.

I may have said one or tunes were 'funky' but not slap bass. I'm talking Blondie/Franz Ferdinand style, which isn't slap bass...you fucking halfwit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am 

I beg your pardon. I have never played slap bass in my life, so do me a favour and get your facts right. Must have been someone else your confusing me with. I have never, and would never play slap bass.

I may have said one or tunes were 'funky' but not slap bass. I'm talking Blondie/Franz Ferdinand style, which isn't slap bass...you fucking halfwit.

Don't start back tracking now Shirley. You said you;d played a slap bass line, and one of the old codgers in your band said you'd sounded "like flea".

And can you explain those time travelling black bassists from the mid 70's? How did they get their 80s mullets?

You fucking halfwit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:15 am 

Bastard wrote:
Don't start back tracking now Shirley. You said you;d played a slap bass line, and one of the old codgers in your band said you'd sounded "like flea".

And can you explain those time travelling black bassists from the mid 70's? How did they get their 80s mullets?

You fucking halfwit.

I have never played slap bass. I hate the sound, why would i play something i don't like? I'm not backtracking at all.

What part of that can't you understand? it's a pretty easy sentence that i have just typed above. Read it again. you fucking halfwit.

Flea. yes Flea does play 'some' slap, but at other times he plays normally, and the parts that he plays normally, we had a tune that i played some bass in a similar style, once again, not the slap parts. Ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 am 

I have never played slap bass. I hate the sound, why would i play something i don't like? I'm not backtracking at all.

What part of that can't you understand? it's a pretty easy sentence that i have just typed above. Read it again. you fucking halfwit.

Flea. yes Flea does play 'some' slap, but at other times he plays normally, and the parts that he plays normally, we had a tune that i played some bass in a similar style, once again, not the slap parts. Ok?

Was this the song you had to play at half speed because you couldn't play it accuratly at the correct speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 am 

Backtracker.

Now how about those mullets? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am 

slart wrote:
Was this the song you had to play at half speed because you couldn't play it accuratly at the correct speed?

eh? what you on about half speed? You've lost me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 am 

Maybe it was that one you tried to play really slow, but couldn't because you found it hard to keep time? I think you said it sounded "like Pink Floyd"? :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 am 

Bastard wrote:
Backtracker.

Now how about those mullets? :D

there's a bloke at work, who has still got a mullet. I think he must have had it for 30 years now. It's now gone grey.:D

Mullets were bad, and i can honestly say that i have never had a mullet. Life's bad enough without having a mullet. Although, i did once have a flick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 am 

Bastard wrote:
Maybe it was that one you tried to play really slow, but couldn't because you found it hard to keep time? I think you said it sounded "like Pink Floyd"? :confused:

Ah, i remember now. Yes, for the hell of it, we tried to play not a song, just a jam, at ridiculously slow speed, which is hard to do. It was fuckin slooooww. Possibly slower than Floyd in their slow moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:24 am 

From the Oldham Advertiser:

Music
Print Article | Share this article | Submit Comments | View Comments(2)
What's this?
Email del.icio.us Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon Newsvine Google Bookmarks Netscape Technorati Windows Live Yahoo! MyWeb Ma.gnolia

advertisement

5 Leaves Left

13/11/2007

FORMED in January, 2006, 5 Leaves Left took their name from the running-out slip in a packet of cigarette papers.

Friends Sam Walsh, Ged Staley, Gordon Allen and Paul Walmsley initially got together to jam in their bedrooms, but they became frustrated with having to keep the volume down and quickly recruited drummer Phil Bradley and moved in to a rehearsal room.

They have been rehearsing twice a week ever since and now have at least 30 original songs in their repertoire.

Gordon said: “Our sound has been described as 80s-influenced rock, but it is all our own: melodic, layered, driving, thought-inducing and passionate.

“We haven’‘t rushed to get out there, as we wanted to get it all right first. We have played a few gigs in Oldham and have started moving further afield.”

Paul who plays the bass in the band added "I really like playing slap bass and model my style on Mark King from Level 42 quite a bit"

Click on the Audio link to hear 'Dead Already'.

Find out more at http://www.myspace.com/5leavesleftuk

I think the phrase Banged to rights comes to mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 am 

From the Oldham Advertiser:

Music
Print Article | Share this article | Submit Comments | View Comments(2)
What's this?
Email del.icio.us Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon Newsvine Google Bookmarks Netscape Technorati Windows Live Yahoo! MyWeb Ma.gnolia

advertisement

5 Leaves Left

13/11/2007

FORMED in January, 2006, 5 Leaves Left took their name from the running-out slip in a packet of cigarette papers.

Friends Sam Walsh, Ged Staley, Gordon Allen and Paul Walmsley initially got together to jam in their bedrooms, but they became frustrated with having to keep the volume down and quickly recruited drummer Phil Bradley and moved in to a rehearsal room.

They have been rehearsing twice a week ever since and now have at least 30 original songs in their repertoire.

Gordon said: “Our sound has been described as 80s-influenced rock, but it is all our own: melodic, layered, driving, thought-inducing and passionate.

“We haven’‘t rushed to get out there, as we wanted to get it all right first. We have played a few gigs in Oldham and have started moving further afield.”

Paul who plays the bass in the band added "I really like playing slap bass and model my style on Mark King from Level 42 quite a bit"

Click on the Audio link to hear 'Dead Already'.

Find out more at http://www.myspace.com/5leavesleftuk

I think the phrase Banged to rights comes to mind?

very good:rolleyes: Funnily enough, our ex-drummer likes level 42. He used to keep suggesting that i should learn slap bass. Naturally i told him i thought it was a bag of toss, and had no intention of doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am 

Oof....musical differences already and not even one platinum album up on the wall yet. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am 

there's a bloke at work, who has still got a mullet. I think he must have had it for 30 years now. It's now gone grey.:D

Mullets were bad, and i can honestly say that i have never had a mullet. Life's bad enough without having a mullet. Although, i did once have a flick.

I had a mullet in the 80s. Not afraid to admit it. I had very long hair in my mid teens. I was staying with my mate and his older sister was a hairdresser in Dublin - she was responsible for Bono's "Red Rocks" mullet. She badgered me for several days about cutting it and I finally relented. I ended up with an uber-mullet. Big spikey top, shaved at the side and about halfway down my back.

Thinking of growing it long again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:35 am 

Hang on Slart, you had a mullet in Mary D's last season or was that a syrup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 am 

He did! He bloody did. I knew i wasn't imagining it.

ESM'd suit a mullet. He should try it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 am 

Not a syrup. Like Saxondale, I still have my own locks. I might grow a beard as well.