:D

Emo to be made illegal in Russia?
My Chemical Romance fans protest at the Daily Mail's London office
New laws planned to stop 'dangerous teen trends'

Jul 23, 2008
7 Comments
My Chemical Romance news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add My Chemical Romance to MyNME
A new Russian law could make being an emo kid illegal in the eastern European country.

Legislation is currenting being formulated in Russia to heavily regulate emo websites and ban emo and goth dress style in schools and government buildings.

The new laws are apparently being driven by fears that these "dangerous teen trends" encourage depression and suicide.

The legislation was presented last month at a hearing held by the State Durma, where critics claimed that the "negative" emo culture encourages anti-social behaviour and glorifies suicide.

Emo kids were described as teenagers who wear black, have facial piercings and black hair with fringes that "cover half the face", reports The Guardian

The weekend saw mass protests by Russian emo kids.

In Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, where laws are already being implemented, protestors in a march held signs saying "A Totalitarian State Encourages Stupidity".

Dmitry Gilevich of Russian emo band MAIO stepped in backing the protests, saying: "Expressing psychological emotions is not forbidden by law."

However, emo critics remain unconvinced.

Alexander Grishunin, an adviser to bill sponsor Yevgeny Yuryev, described a ban as necessary, stating: "This is the first step in the public discourse."

The moves in Russia follow criticism of the genre in the UK earlier this year, which saw My Chemical Romance fans protesting at the offices of British newspaper The Daily Mail over their coverage which linked emo with suicide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14 am 

Reagan should have nuked Russia when he had the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 am 

just hand out free razor blades and let nature take it's course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 am 
And so it begins again. You can't ban a genre. You can't ban anything. That's a dictatorship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:27 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
Emigre wrote:
And so it begins again. You can't ban a genre. You can't ban anything. That's a dictatorship.

But surely theres an argument to ban opera.....surely for the sake of humanity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:29 am 

I'd ban any band who are "inspired" by Oasis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 am 
blueinyorkshire wrote:
But surely theres an argument to ban opera.....surely for the sake of humanity

Obviously you ban opera. That goes without saying. And ballet. Can't have blokes in tight pants prancing around stages. There's some on here that would like that too much and to be honest, once we start creating gays then we're gonna have to crank up the the old gulags and get straightening em out.

I've gone too far haven't I. Of course I don't want to kill all gays. Just the ones that mince.

I'm in denial aren't I? And I was so in touch with my feminine side. What happened.

I think I might have just outed* myself.

*replace this word at your discretion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:36 am 

Emigre wrote:

Seriously i agree with you though, you can't ban anything. After all it's art, you can't ban art. It's all bollox this sensorship. Where do you end it, just ban everything, then nobody does anything.

Lets ban all forms of music, opera, art, ballet, television, radio the lot, then we can all sit there and do nowt. In fact because we'd all be so bored we can all pick up clubs and start smashing them over each others heads, lets take it back to it's lowest form...we all become cavemen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am 
Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Seriously i agree with you though, you can't ban anything. After all it's art, you can't ban art. It's all bollox this sensorship. Where do you end it, just ban everything, then nobody does anything.

Lets ban all forms of music, opera, art, ballet, television, radio the lot, then we can all sit there and do nowt. In fact because we'd all be so bored we can all pick up clubs and start smashing them over each others heads, lets take it back to it's lowest form...we all become cavemen again.

Deconstruction. If only we could. We've come so far from our primal instincts that it wouldn't be possible. Nice thought though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am 

don't ban, victimise. it's the way forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:40 am 
gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
don't ban, victimise. it's the way forward.

With sticks. Make em sharp. And a heretic's fork. Can't have control without a heretic's fork.

*moves over to LM's side*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 am 

Art? It is in me hole art. The vast majority of music, films, books, telly etc etc is just pure commercial product intended for mass consumption for the maximum financial return.

A lot of this stuff may be entertaining and fun but it has fuck all to do with art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:43 am 
slart wrote:
Art? It is in me hole art. The vast majority of music, films, books, telly etc etc is just pure commercial product intended for mass consumption for the maximum financial return.

A lot of this stuff may be entertaining and fun but it has fuck all to do with art.

Very slippery slope that one. Who's to say what art is. Can you define art? I know I can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:45 am 

I do worry how easily civil liberties can be gradually eroded without anyone doing anything. I think most people are far too short-sighted to see the bigger picture or look beyond the next 5 years when it comes to law making. I know I'm horribly generalising here but bear with me. It's this kind of thought police bullshit which worries me. All of the erosion of civil liberties in the name of fighting terrorism seems to be a slippery slope - I'm not saying that the current government want a dictatorship, but it's when the goalposts ever so slightly move that over time before you realise it you're living under dictatorial conditions with your personal freedoms curtailed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am 

oh this has worried me for ages. smoking bans, increased tax on booze, fags and the like, more stringent controls on alcohol sales, increases in cctv installations, internet providers stopping connections if you're d/ling music... this kind of shit scares me just a bit. i always thought that laws were there as a disincentive to do something, but ultimately it was still left down to free will, and choosing to not do something naughty. and the hilarious thing about this? you get some people saying we need our freedoms curtailed in order to deal with the problem. lazy shits should put more effort into dealing with the problem properly, of constraining the freedom of those who actually do evil, not of blanketing everyone. it's like carpet bombing lancashire just to do for old trafford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
it's like carpet bombing lancashire just to do for old trafford.

See this I wouldn't actually be opposed to. Just strap Eastlands to a few helicopters and lift it on out of there first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:02 am 

aye i suppose it does come under the "few eggs to make an omlette" criteria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 am 

Was in Sainsbury's yesterday and saw a family of Goths. Mum goth, daddy goth and teenage girl goth. I laughed at them but didn't point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 am 
ESM wrote:
Was in Sainsbury's yesterday and saw a family of Goths. Mum goth, daddy goth and teenage girl goth. I laughed at them but didn't point.

Bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 am 

ESM wrote:

Aw bless, I bet they fight like fuck over the mirrors to slap on their eyeliner though.