Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:10 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Person B bought 1 CD. They circulated it to 50 people but there is still only 1 cd. One sale to the artist, one record sold in the charts. One.

Groucho Marx: Now pay particular attention to this first clause, because it's most important. There's the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part. How do you like that, that's pretty neat eh?

Chico Marx: No, that's no good.

Groucho Marx: What's the matter with it?

Chico Marx: I don't know, let's hear it again.

Groucho Marx: So the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part.

Chico Marx: Well it sounds a little better this time.

Groucho Marx: Well, it grows on you. Would you like to hear it once more?

Chico Marx: Just the first part.

Groucho Marx: What do you mean, the party of the first part?

Chico Marx: No, the first part of the party, of the first part.

Groucho Marx: All right. It says the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part, shall be known in this contract - look, why should we quarrel about a thing like this, we'll take it right out, eh?

Chico Marx: Yes, it's too long anyhow. Now what have we got left?

Groucho Marx: Well I've got about a foot and a half. Now what's the matter?

Chico Marx: I don't like the second party either.

Groucho Marx: Well, you should have come to the first party, we didn't get home till around four in the morning. I was blind for three days.

Chico Marx: Hey look, why can't the first part of the second party be the second part of the first party, then you'll get something.

Groucho Marx: Well look, rather than go through all that again, what do you say?

Chico Marx: Fine.

Groucho Marx: Now I've got something here you're bound to like, you'll be crazy about it.

Chico Marx: No, I don't like it.

Groucho Marx: You don't like what?

Chico Marx: Whatever it is, I don't like it.

Groucho Marx: Well don't let's break up an old friendship over a thing like that. Ready?

Chico Marx: OK. Now the next part I don't think you're going to like.

Groucho Marx: Well your word's good enough for me. Now then, is my word good enough for you?

Chico Marx: I should say not.

Groucho Marx: Well I'll take out two more clauses. Now the party of the eighth part --

Chico Marx: No, that's no good, no.

Groucho Marx: The party of the ninth part --

Chico Marx: No, that's no good too. Hey, how is it my contract is skinnier than yours?

Groucho Marx: Well, I don't know, you must have been out on a tail last night. But anyhow, we're all set now, are we? Now just you put your name right down there, then the deal is legal.

Chico Marx: I forgot to tell you, I can't write.

Groucho Marx: Well that's all right, there's no ink in the pen anyhow. But listen, it's a contract isn't it? We've got a contract, no matter how small it is.

Chico Marx: Oh sure. You bet. Hey wait, wait. What does this say here, this thing here?

Groucho Marx: Oh that? Oh that's the usual clause, that's in every contract. That just says, it says, 'If any of the parties participating in this contract are shown not to be in their right mind, the entire agreement is automatically nullified.'

Chico Marx: Well, I don't know.

Groucho Marx: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.

Chico Marx: You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Okay, let's try it this way.

Person A buys an album, puts it on a file sharing site and 50 people download it.

Person B buys an album, sells it on ebay, that person then does the same until 50 people have bought it.

The record company, the tax man etc etc etc have all received the money from the first sale but nothing from anywhere else.

Again, how is that different.

Person A has bought a CD and given it to 50 people for free, most importantly, in a very public domain.

Person B has bought a CD, sells HIS property without making the material public, same happens again, and so on and so on.

Main difference is that person B hasn't broken ANY copyright laws because..
1, The CD hasn't been copied.
2, The material hasn't been broadcast.

Top of that, do you really think CD's change hands 50 odd times on Ebay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
He's got a point there you know?

Even if the 1 cd was then sold 50 times to 50 different people (highly unlikely) at least 50 second hand shops or whatever have been kept afloat with sales. and originally, the artist received their cut from the original sale.

you download for free, and 50 people then share it from you, no fucker has paid for owt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:12 pm 
Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
Groucho Marx: Now pay particular attention to this first clause, because it's most important. There's the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part. How do you like that, that's pretty neat eh?

Chico Marx: No, that's no good.

Groucho Marx: What's the matter with it?

Chico Marx: I don't know, let's hear it again.

Groucho Marx: So the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part.

Chico Marx: Well it sounds a little better this time.

Groucho Marx: Well, it grows on you. Would you like to hear it once more?

Chico Marx: Just the first part.

Groucho Marx: What do you mean, the party of the first part?

Chico Marx: No, the first part of the party, of the first part.

Groucho Marx: All right. It says the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part, shall be known in this contract - look, why should we quarrel about a thing like this, we'll take it right out, eh?

Chico Marx: Yes, it's too long anyhow. Now what have we got left?

Groucho Marx: Well I've got about a foot and a half. Now what's the matter?

Chico Marx: I don't like the second party either.

Groucho Marx: Well, you should have come to the first party, we didn't get home till around four in the morning. I was blind for three days.

Chico Marx: Hey look, why can't the first part of the second party be the second part of the first party, then you'll get something.

Groucho Marx: Well look, rather than go through all that again, what do you say?

Chico Marx: Fine.

Groucho Marx: Now I've got something here you're bound to like, you'll be crazy about it.

Chico Marx: No, I don't like it.

Groucho Marx: You don't like what?

Chico Marx: Whatever it is, I don't like it.

Groucho Marx: Well don't let's break up an old friendship over a thing like that. Ready?

Chico Marx: OK. Now the next part I don't think you're going to like.

Groucho Marx: Well your word's good enough for me. Now then, is my word good enough for you?

Chico Marx: I should say not.

Groucho Marx: Well I'll take out two more clauses. Now the party of the eighth part --

Chico Marx: No, that's no good, no.

Groucho Marx: The party of the ninth part --

Chico Marx: No, that's no good too. Hey, how is it my contract is skinnier than yours?

Groucho Marx: Well, I don't know, you must have been out on a tail last night. But anyhow, we're all set now, are we? Now just you put your name right down there, then the deal is legal.

Chico Marx: I forgot to tell you, I can't write.

Groucho Marx: Well that's all right, there's no ink in the pen anyhow. But listen, it's a contract isn't it? We've got a contract, no matter how small it is.

Chico Marx: Oh sure. You bet. Hey wait, wait. What does this say here, this thing here?

Groucho Marx: Oh that? Oh that's the usual clause, that's in every contract. That just says, it says, 'If any of the parties participating in this contract are shown not to be in their right mind, the entire agreement is automatically nullified.'

Chico Marx: Well, I don't know.

Groucho Marx: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.

Chico Marx: You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

Very funny and all too true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:12 pm 
Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Even if the 1 cd was then sold 50 times to 50 different people (highly unlikely) at least 50 second hand shops or whatever have been kept afloat with sales. and originally, the artist received their cut from the original sale.

you download for free, and 50 people then share it from you, no fucker has paid for owt.

*bashes head against wall*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:13 pm 

Emigre wrote:
*bashes head against wall*

what's difficult about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:15 pm 

You're falling into his trap Bassman, using your argument, either way the artist has got the same amount of money.

The crux of it is, is how the music is circulated. If the CD is circulated amongst 50 people without being copied, then no laws are broken. If one CD is copied by 50 people, the law has been broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm 

ESM wrote:
You're falling into his trap Bassman, using your argument, either way the artist has got the same amount of money.

The crux of it is, is how the music is circulated. If the CD is circulated amongst 50 people without being copied, then no laws are broken. If one CD is copied by 50 people, the law has been broken.

no they haven't. Aside from the law, If the original download was done illegally and for free, then the artist has recived £nil. If the music has been bought originally but then sold on however many times, the artist has still received £PAYMENT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm 
what's difficult about this?

Nothing so why are you making such a fuss about grasping a basic point. Forget the morals, forget the 'illegal' bit. How is file sharing different to the music industry than second-hand sales?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 pm 
no they haven't. Aside from the law, If the original download was done illegally and for free, then the artist has recived £nil. If the music has been bought originally but then sold on however many times, the artist has still received £PAYMENT.

YES THEY HAVE> Because the FIRST record was paid for.

Oh for fucks sake how can you be such a thick twat.

*flounces off*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:22 pm 

Emigre wrote:
YES THEY HAVE> Because the FIRST record was paid for.

Oh for fucks sake how can you be such a thick twat.

*flounces off*

How has the artist received payment, any fucking payment, if the original "download" was free???? Explain that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:24 pm 

ESM wrote:
Because the record label, the manufacturer, artist and the bloody inland revenue HAVE received income from the original sale of the CD. Buying second hand CD's cause the record industry hardly any pain. You buy a CD, sell it to me...big deal, end of the day it's YOUR property. File sharing is different, one purchased CD shared for free to potentially thousands of people is a lot of lost revenue, plus as you say you're breaking copyright laws.

Let's say you buy a second hand car, do you have to pay a percentage to the manufacturer or the VAT man? No....because it's yours.

What if you buy a cd at a car boot sale though or is that still the same? :confused:

Post subject:
How has the artist received payment, any fucking payment, if the original "download" was free???? Explain that one.

It wasn't free. I explained. THE ORIGINAL ALBUM WAS BOUGHT, then put on a file sharing site. You're doing this deliberately to wind me up, right. Nobody can be as thick a c*nt as you are being right now.

Post subject:

Emigre wrote:
Nothing so why are you making such a fuss about grasping a basic point. Forget the morals, forget the 'illegal' bit. How is file sharing different to the music industry than second-hand sales?

Emigre......you can't forget about the law in this argument because the absolute key to it is copyright mate. One breaks it, the other doesn't, simple. Plus I'll think you'll find that illegal downloads way way out number sales of second-hand CD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:26 pm 

Emigre wrote:
It wasn't free. I explained. THE ORIGINAL ALBUM WAS BOUGHT, then put on a file sharing site. You're doing this deliberately to wind me up, right. Nobody can be as thick a c*nt as you are being right now.

No he isn't! :p

Post subject:
ESM wrote:
Emigre......you can't forget about the law in this argument because the absolute key to it is copyright mate. One breaks it, the other doesn't, simple. Plus I'll think you'll find that illegal downloads way way out number sales of second-hand CD's.

Maybe. I was trying to raise an interesting point, but Bassman is too fucking stupid to read my original post and understand it.

I deal with thick cunts in my job and it does my nut in. I hate that I have to deal with the same thich twats on here.

Post subject:

Emigre wrote:

You didn't say that. The thread title is "Illegal downloading" which to me, meand downloading for free. If you would have said "Paid for Downloading from Apple/itunes" or whatever i would have agreed with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:27 pm 

Emigre wrote:

I think you should calm down. Why are you getting personal, it's only a discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:27 pm 
You didn't say that. The thread title is "Illegal downloading" which to me, meand downloading for free. If you would have said "Paid for Downloading from Apple/itunes" or whatever i would have agreed with you.

Yes I did. Read MY post about Buyer A and buyer B. Jesus christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 pm 

Emigre wrote:
It wasn't free. I explained. [color="Red"]THE ORIGINAL ALBUM WAS BOUGHT[/color], then put on a file sharing site. You're doing this deliberately to wind me up, right. Nobody can be as thick a c*nt as you are being right now.

I've got you now! :cool:

I still think 18 was a bit step though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next