Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 am 

Emigre wrote:
I know. But how does that differ from file-sharing. I'm not defending anything. I just think it raises an interesting point. If you illegally download a song the artist receives nothing. If you buy second-hand the artist receives nothing. Same, you see.

but with buying second hand, they have already received payment from the original sale. if someone just downloads for free then there is no payment made at all.

Post subject:

slart wrote:
I've never download. This has more to do with not owning a home pc. There are plenty of ways of getting your music for free or very cheaply on the net. There is no need to download illegally.

Huh?

Post subject:
ESM wrote:
The difference is you're selling property that has been paid for, royalties, taxes the lot. You're not keeping the original and selling a copy. Same thing applies to books and DVD's, the only way the industry can prosecute you is if you make the material public without their permission, therefore breaking copyright law.

I understand all that, particularly copyright law. I think you're missing the point though. Unless the only reason you don't illegally download is because of the word 'illegal' and you'd rather stay within the law, then what is the difference between second hand and file sharing to you.

Either way you have received the item and the music industry has received nothing from you. Not one penny. Forget the legal/illegal copyright stuff. How is that different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:51 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Huh?

Think slart me be referring to the fact that many bands offer free downloads, others put their stuff up on Myspace. On top of that their are many legit sites that offer downloads at a fraction of the cost of a CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:51 am 

Emigre wrote:
I understand all that, particularly copyright law. I think you're missing the point though. Unless the only reason you don't illegally download is because of the word 'illegal' and you'd rather stay within the law, then what is the difference between second hand and file sharing to you.

Either way you have received the item and the music industry has received nothing from you. Not one penny. Forget the legal/illegal copyright stuff. How is that different.

it doesn't matter who has bought the original sale, so long as someone has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 am 
Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
it doesn't matter who has bought the original sale, so long as someone has.

Point missed. Doesn't matter. So it's okay for one person to buy and distribute to ten million. Well that's file sharing for you. Someone had to buy iy so it's okay. Yeah?

btw I'm not being holier than though here. I buy all my books from second hand shops and as a writer myself I get that this is not putting money in the pockets of authors. I just can't afford to buy full price. When I could, I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 am 

Emigre wrote:
Point missed. Doesn't matter. So it's okay for one person to buy and distribute to ten million. Well that's file sharing for you. Someone had to buy iy so it's okay. Yeah?

btw I'm not being holier than though here. I buy all my books from second hand shops and as a writer myself I get that this is not putting money in the pockets of authors. I just can't afford to buy full price. When I could, I did.

What kind of a writer are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:56 am 

Emigre wrote:

A writer Emigre? *eyes glaze over*

Oh tell me a story Emigre, take me someplace nice. :)

Post subject:

Emigre wrote:

With me, i tend to find the difference with music is, if it's a new album then you know you can get it on the high street, which i do. however, if it's a back catalogue album from say the 60's or sommat, or a minor release, very often the high street stores don't stock it, so you have to go second hand, or ebay to try and find a copy.

Post subject:

slart wrote:

I found this example of Emigre's work Slart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:57 am 

Emigre wrote:

Because the record label, the manufacturer, artist and the bloody inland revenue HAVE received income from the original sale of the CD. Buying second hand CD's cause the record industry hardly any pain. You buy a CD, sell it to me...big deal, end of the day it's YOUR property. File sharing is different, one purchased CD shared for free to potentially thousands of people is a lot of lost revenue, plus as you say you're breaking copyright laws.

Let's say you buy a second hand car, do you have to pay a percentage to the manufacturer or the VAT man? No....because it's yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:58 am 
slart wrote:

Novelist. Forced in to design by poverty. Still, the best writers are. Apparently. Except JK Rowling. Damn. I'm doing this all wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:00 pm 
ESM wrote:
Because the record label, the manufacturer, artist and the bloody inland revenue HAVE received income from the original sale of the CD. Buying second hand CD's cause the record industry hardly any pain. You buy a CD, sell it to me...big deal, end of the day it's YOUR property. File sharing is different, one purchased CD shared for free to potentially thousands of people is a lot of lost revenue, plus as you say you're breaking copyright laws.

Let's say you buy a second hand car, do you have to pay a percentage to the manufacturer or the VAT man? No....because it's yours.

Yes. I get all that. That's not my point. That's very very far from my point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:01 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Novelist. Forced in to design by poverty. Still, the best writers are. Apparently. Except JK Rowling. Damn. I'm doing this all wrong.

And Jordan and Geri Halliwell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:02 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Yes. I get all that. That's not my point. That's very very far from my point.

Well make your bloody point a tad clearer please!! :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:03 pm 
Okay, let's try it this way.

Person A buys an album, puts it on a file sharing site and 50 people download it.

Person B buys an album, sells it on ebay, that person then does the same until 50 people have bought it.

The record company, the tax man etc etc etc have all received the money from the first sale but nothing from anywhere else.

Again, how is that different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:05 pm 

Emigre wrote:

Person A buys an album, puts it on a file sharing site and 50 people download it.

Person B buys an album, sells it on ebay, that person then does the same until 50 people have bought it.

The record company, the tax man etc etc etc have all received the money from the first sale but nothing from anywhere else.

Person A has bought one cd. 50 people now have copies. Person B has bought 50cds. 50 people now have copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:07 pm 
Now you're just winding me up because you know I'm in a bad mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:07 pm 
slart wrote:
Person A has bought one cd. 50 people now have copies. Person B has bought 50cds. 50 people now have copies.

Person B bought 1 CD. They circulated it to 50 people but there is still only 1 cd. One sale to the artist, one record sold in the charts. One.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 pm 

Emigre wrote:

He's got a point there you know?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next