Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:05 am 

The record companies squealing that they can't invest in ew talent because of illegal downloading is bollocks.

Since the cd was introduced record companies have put more time and energy getting us to re-buy our record collections with endless reissues and tart ups of "classic" albums. It was far easier for them to buy up Status Quo's back catalogue and stick it out in the shops than actually go out and take a risk on a new band.

Darkside of the Moon has been re-formated loads of times. Bowie's catalogue has been revamped about 4 times on cd. Even new releases get the revamp with tour issues and special editions appearing in the shops months after the original release.

Also, record companies pissed money up against the wall big time. Remember Naomi Campbell's album? Didn't think so. Millions spent on it. Sold a few thousand copies.

New bands are still emerging, bands are playing live and people still enjoy music.

And here is a little publicised fact - more cds are bought today than 10 years ago. FACT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:07 am 

slart wrote:
The record companies squealing that they can't invest in ew talent because of illegal downloading is bollocks.

Since the cd was introduced record companies have put more time and energy getting us to re-buy our record collections with endless reissues and tart ups of "classic" albums. It was far easier for them to buy up Status Quo's back catalogue and stick it out in the shops than actually go out and take a risk on a new band.

Darkside of the Moon has been re-formated loads of times. Bowie's catalogue has been revamped about 4 times on cd. Even new releases get the revamp with tour issues and special editions appearing in the shops months after the original release.

Also, record companies pissed money up against the wall big time. Remember Naomi Campbell's album? Didn't think so. Millions spent on it. Sold a few thousand copies.

New bands are still emerging, bands are playing live and people still enjoy music.

And here is a little publicised fact - more cds are bought today than 10 years ago. FACT!

Ageed 100%. Everything i wanted to write in my last post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 am 

Let's get back to the crux of the thread.

Is illegal downloading stealing or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:09 am 

Should that be "ewe" talent Slart?

The problem with record companies has, and always will be, that they only want to invest in something they already know. Hence when a new band is successful you end up with a dozen or so sound-a-likies and the next thing you know you've got "britpop" or whatever crass moniker they decide to give it.

Same with Hollywood for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 am 

ESM wrote:

manchesterblue wrote:
I think the legality is a moot point..people are always gong to find a way to share stuff and the sooner the riaa and such realise it the better. The music/movie industry have to find a way to compromise..dont ask me how but I reckon they better before they self implode...Question for yas...if I took a dvd round to a mates house and gave it to him, would he be committing a crime? Whats the difference if its done digitally?

I feel thats a very good way of looking at it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:11 am 

ESM wrote:

Yes but so is speeding in your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:12 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:

yeah but i dont risk killing someone by dloading a movie

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:13 am 

ESM wrote:

Technically, yes it's stealing, any intellectual property has an owner with a right to sell the product they have made be it a car or an intangible object like movies, software or music.

Will that stop me downloading, no chance. As many people have said it gives you an informed decision as to buying the original or not. I've lost count of the amount of stuff I've bought after downloading it on BitTorrent first. Anything that I didn't go out and buy afterwards can't be counted as a lost sale because I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:16 am 

ESM wrote:

Yes it is stealing. There are plenty of ways of getting your music cheaply or for free. Lots of bands will offer downloads on their sites.

And if you want to hear new music there are lots of radio stations out there - more accessable than ever before.

When Metallica started moaning about Napster they had a point. Napster and their users claimed they used the service so they could "hear new bands". This was a load of shite. Metallica were downloaded through Napster more than all other bands put together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:18 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:

Actually, by the letter of the law downloading illegally could carry a far higher penalty than a speeding ticket.

As I've said already, it seems odd to me that many feel that to download illegally is 'OK', but I doubt many would have the bollocks or the inclination to walk into a record store and pinch a CD/DVD. The reason for that is the embarrassment and stigma of being caught a labelled a thief, but yet in the safety of their own home hidden behind a keyboard it's deemed acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am 

slart wrote:
Yes it is stealing. There are plenty of ways of getting your music cheaply or for free. Lots of bands will offer downloads on their sites.

And if you want to hear new music there are lots of radio stations out there - more accessable than ever before.

When Metallica started moaning about Napster they had a point. Napster and their users claimed they used the service so they could "hear new bands". This was a load of shite. Metallica were downloaded through Napster more than all other bands put together.

Isn't it Sony or one of the other labels that have come up with the idea of allowing their full back catalogue to be listened too for free, but it can't be downloaded? Think they also run 10 second ads between each track.

To me that sounds a good idea. If as most of you say, you download to check a band out before putting your hand in your pocket, then this seems the way forward IMO. Nobody is stealing, but you are able to listen before purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:28 am 

ESM wrote:
Isn't it Sony or one of the other labels that have come up with the idea of allowing their full back catalogue to be listened too for free, but it can't be downloaded? Think they also run 10 second ads between each track.

To me that sounds a good idea. If as most of you say, you download to check a band out before putting your hand in your pocket, then this seems the way forward IMO. Nobody is stealing, but you are able to listen before purchase.

People find ways, and then more people learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 am 

slart wrote:

Just goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:41 am 

I used to do it a lot 5-10 years ago for music, like the same with a C90 tape and the radio when I was younger. I don’t bother now.

Generally, from my point of view I would download music that I would never buy anyway, maybe something cheesy or catchy that I would never buy and maybe listen to once anyway.

I don’t think that the music industry suffers any more now than it did 20 years ago. How often did you used to tape to tape something, same with films?

If I want something, I buy it anyway, or wait till its reduced and buy it in the sales. There was a point in the 90's where the music and film industry/Retail were ripping customers off for £14-20 an album or DVD and that was the reason a lot of people downloaded or copied stuff anyway as they were not prepared to pay over the odds for stuff.

They pushed people into piracy by over inflating prices, I have no sympathy for a lot of industries that were the cause in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 am 

ESM wrote:

that sounds like a plan to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:43 am 

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:44 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
I used to do it a lot 5-10 years ago for music, like the same with a C90 tape and the radio when I was younger. I don’t bother now.

Generally, from my point of view I would download music that I would never buy anyway, maybe something cheesy or catchy that I would never buy and maybe listen to once anyway.

I don’t think that the music industry suffers any more now than it did 20 years ago. How often did you used to tape to tape something, same with films?

If I want something, I buy it anyway, or wait till its reduced and buy it in the sales. There was a point in the 90's where the music and film industry/Retail were ripping customers off for £14-20 an album or DVD and that was the reason a lot of people downloaded or copied stuff anyway as they were not prepared to pay over the odds for stuff.

They pushed people into piracy by over inflating prices, I have no sympathy for a lot of industries that were the cause in the first place.

The eternal joke that they trot out is that they are protecting the artists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:45 am 

This is a new one:

or this take on it:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:46 am 

what can they do for their families with 101 million dollars that they cant do with 100 million dollars?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
what can they do for their families with 101 million dollars that they cant do with 100 million dollars?

one for you Miggsy:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next