Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Scotland?
Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 am
Set them free 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Do they realise all the financial implications? 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Rebuild Hadrian’s wall 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Couldn't care less either way! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Set them free, then invade and enslave 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 pm 

Tresidentevil wrote:
Political parties, two sides of the same coin. All pointless.

There you have it Winnie. I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:01 pm 

A referendum is essentially an opinion poll though and nothing more. So I believe they can call one themselves, but any result/actions of the result of it would to come from a final say of Westminster! Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
i think we have a realistic claim to 30-50% of the north sea cash. and a navy with which to enforce said claim.

North Sea oil/gas is on it's last legs, we've already wasted all that money. From what I understand our 'new' oil and gas reserves will come from Shale gas/oil which is off the north west coast of England, plus British waters in the South Atlantic. Ergo, the jocks can get fucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:14 pm 

If they did a referendum after Camerons deadline and the referendum was a fair % yes I can't see how Westmintser could refuse Scottish Independance. It would totally undermine Democracy. Camerons deadline in his opnion nothing else, it isn't a law (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:16 pm 

Anyway, they'd be bankrupt with 12 months having to fund a health service who's sole job is to keep a fat drunk population alive..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
There you have it Winnie. I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

I had started to suspect tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm 

IMO referendums are dangerous things, especially where nationality is the core issue. The vast majority of the population of any nation are ill informed, ill educated fuckwits, who would vote with their hearts rather than their heads, the facts wouldn't come into it.
Why do you think that all the main political parties are so dead set against a referendum on Europe? Because they know damn well that many people would view it as some sort of extension of WWII.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:30 pm 

ESM wrote:
IMO referendums are dangerous things, especially where nationality is the core issue. The vast majority of the population of any nation are ill informed, ill educated fuckwits, who would vote with their hearts rather than their heads, the facts wouldn't come into it.
Why do you think that all the main political parties are so dead set against a referendum on Europe? Because they know damn well that many people would view it as some sort of extension of WWII.

Very good points well made!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

ESM wrote:
Anyway, they'd be bankrupt with 12 months having to fund a health service who's sole job is to keep a fat drunk population alive..

they'd just up taxation on booze fags and smack, and impose restrictions on treatments associated with anything drug or alcohol related.
ESM wrote:

problem with democracy in a nutshell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:50 pm 

problem with democracy in a nutshell.

Was working fine until the suffragettes got on the case! :rolleyes::whistle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 pm 

they'd just up taxation on booze fags and smack, and impose restrictions on treatments associated with anything drug or alcohol related.

Doubtful when the policy makers are probably hooked on booze, fags and smack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:29 pm 

lets see what the daily mail has to say on this matte-ahahahahaha

Quote:
A nation that stood firm against Hitler could soon cease to exist if the SNP has its way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:45 pm 

That's a blog tbf, not the main paper.

Conversely CIF has it's fair share of nutty blog posts.

That's such a good headline I can't decide if it's serious or not:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
lets see what the daily mail has to say on this matte-ahahahahaha

sidebar story - Unemployed graduate sues ministers for being 'forced' to stack shelves in PoundlandCait Reilly has been looking for work since graduating in the summer
She volunteered at a museum until ordered to accept two-week placement

Her lawyer says the 'forced labour' breaches her human rights
By Emily Allen

Last updated at 3:59 PM on 11th January 2012

Comments (922) Share

A university graduate yesterday issued a landmark judicial review proceedings against the Government after she was forced to stack shelves at Poundland.
Cait Reilly, 22, has been looking for work since she left Birmingham University and has been volunteering on an unpaid basis until ordered to accept a two-week placement in the retail sector.
This involved her sweeping up and filling the shelves at the Poundland store in Kings Heath, Birmingham, also on an unpaid basis.

Work experience: Cait Reilly said she had to sweep up and fill the shelves at the Poundland store in Kings Heath, Birmingham
Now lawyers acting for the geology graduate have launched proceedings claiming that she had been made to carry out 'forced labour' or lose her benefits.
She had been looking for work in the museum sector and had undertaken unpaid voluntary work at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
Her solicitor Jim Duffy claims this is against the European Convention on Human Rights.

More...300 staff at Xbox 360 plant threaten to commit mass suicide if their pay demands aren't met
Student wins High Court order to stop sexual photos of her being shared online
'Jobs bottleneck' as graduates struggling to find work creates backlog
Migration IS killing off jobs: 160,000 Britons have missed out on employment because work was taken by foreigners

He said yesterday: 'This Government has created - without Parliamentary authority - a complex array of schemes that allow Job Centres to force people into futile, unpaid labour for weeks or months at a time.
'By doing so it worsens rather than alleviates the cycle of unemployment that is such a significant barrier to addressing the economic crisis.'
Graduate: Miss Reilly has been looking for work since she left Birmingham University (pictured) and had been volunteering on an unpaid basis
Through her lawyers, Miss Reilly is asking the High Court to quash the controversial regulations under which long-term unemployed people can be required to undertake up to six months of unpaid work.
She wants to challenge the Jobseeker's Allowance (Employment, Skills and Enterprise) Regulations 2011.
JOBSEEKER'S ALLOWANCE BENEFIT

In order to meet the criteria to receive the Jobseeker's Allowance benefit, claimants are required to participate in Employment, Skills and Enterprise Scheme.
The scheme offers work placements with companies, working in conjunction with the government, designed to give claimants practical work experience to improve their chances of employment.
If claimants refuse to take part in the work placements they risk losing their benefits.

The scheme is intended to lead to full-time jobs but in Miss Reilly's case she claimed staff at Poundland did not know what she should be doing and, despite promises of an interview, it never materialised.
In an earlier interview, she told the BBC: 'I think it's a form of manual labour in that they're forcing people to do jobs that are in no way related to what they want to do and giving them no experience for their careers.'
A Department for Work and Pensions spokesperson said: 'Our priority is to help people off benefits and into work. We are looking to help people get practical experience that will give them a better chance of getting into work.
'It is simply absurd to suggest that we should not be providing this support and effectively leaving people at home doing nothing.'
In a statement Poundland said its work experience was designed to help people find work in the retail sector.
It said: 'We work in partnership with JobCentre Plus and other government funded organisations to implement a comprehensive work placement programme designed to provide on-the-job training for those looking to retail as a career opportunity.
'Our partnership with JobCentre Plus is a positive step to get people back into work. It doesn't replace our recruitment activity, but adds to the number of colleagues we have working with us.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085142/Unemployed-graduate-sues-ministers-forced-stack-shelves-Poundland.html#ixzz1jAXsYahQ

she's trying to get work in museums, surely this experience is more useful to someone with a degree in geology than stacking shelves? the human rights stuff is bollocks though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:50 pm 

and this is more than a bit perverse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2085030/Chloe-Moretz-14-defies-tender-teen-years-vampish-red-dress-National-Board-Review-Awards.html

anyway. cheers for posting that link to the mail bbc. it's ilke toothache, you can't stop prodding it no matter how much it hurts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:00 pm 

she's trying to get work in museums, surely this experience is more useful to someone with a degree in geology than stacking shelves? the human rights stuff is bollocks though.

It is a massive crock of shite tbh. I know someone who works with jobseekers who says the general opinion is the new government has come in and made all swingeing cuts and changes to policies purely because they were introduced by Labour, ignoring the fact they were working quite well, and brought in this new system which isn't helping anyone except the companies who are basically getting free labour with no obligation to keep them on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm 

Someone in the public sector that doesn't like the tories or their policies?
Colour me surprised dude:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:02 pm 

anyway. cheers for posting that link to the mail bbc. it's ilke toothache, you can't stop prodding it no matter how much it hurts.

yes i know. it's compulsive self destructive behaviour. also i know this isn't the daily mail but any excuse to post it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
Someone in the public sector that doesn't like the tories or their policies?
Colour me surprised dude:rolleyes:

just shut up for once you fucking sweaty quim. he is someone who is actually balls deep in the youth unemployment problem and has lots of first hand experience of how the system worked and works now. not everyone runs around trying to polarise every issue into tory/labour or left/right, they're more concerned with the actual practicalities of polices and how they affect people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:07 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
Conversely CIF has it's fair share of nutty blog posts.

this made me piss myself laughing for some reason. not necessarily the message or anything just cameron's poop pooping while being called a pink rubber bastard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next