Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Scotland?
Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 am
Set them free 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Do they realise all the financial implications? 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Rebuild Hadrian’s wall 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Couldn't care less either way! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Set them free, then invade and enslave 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:15 pm 

and the ed train as well. choo choo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
lets see what the daily mail has to say on this matte-ahahahahaha

Blog or not, they really do print and host some really bigoted bile for anyone who is not white and middle class!

Who reads their shit and keeps them in business? come on, fess up!

They are more out of touch with reality than most MP's, and that’s saying something!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
It is a massive crock of shite tbh. I know someone who works with jobseekers who says the general opinion is the new government has come in and made all swingeing cuts and changes to policies purely because they were introduced by Labour, ignoring the fact they were working quite well, and brought in this new system which isn't helping anyone except the companies who are basically getting free labour with no obligation to keep them on.

tbf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 pm 

Barna Azul wrote:
Blog or not, they really do print and host some really bigoted bile for anyone who is not white and middle class!

Who reads their shit and keeps them in business? come on, fess up!

They are more out of touch with reality than most MP's, and that’s saying something!

2nd biggest circulation and 2nd largest web traffic in the world says otherwise;)

You kind of answered your own question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:26 pm 

The Mail has the second biggest circulation in the world? No wayz...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
2nd biggest circulation and 2nd largest web traffic in the world says otherwise;)

You kind of answered your own question.

No way! :eek:

Surely CNN and BBC are in front at least and they are two I can think of in 3 seconds and there must be others! Reuters?

The circulation maybe, as the competition isnt any better and covered in shit up to their ears right now too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm 

I meant UK paper sales. My bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:35 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
I meant UK paper sales. My bad.

oh ok!

Phew!

I really started to panic that they had a further blind following than id thought!

I can understand it on one hand though, based on the competition. Plus they are free on every BA flight too! Must add a few readers to the total!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm 

it's jeremy clarksonism. the daily mail is the best and most read paper... in the world. you sheep winston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm 

BBC you read it more than me.
I only really read it when you post now tbf:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 pm 

i only read it when i'm linked to some hilarious article/blog from somewhere else. i then spend a few self loathing minutes reading their other articles, perhaps crying while fervently masturbating, wishing my brain worked that way so so much of the world wouldn't make me want to scream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 pm 

Scottish independence: Alex Salmond outlines referendum question

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond has set out the question he intends to ask in a referendum on Scots independence.

The SNP leader said Scots will be asked: "Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?" in a ballot which he wants to hold in 2014.

Mr Salmond launched the public consultation in a statement to MSPs.

He said the question was "straightforward and clear" and the decision would the most important made by the people of Scotland in 300 years.

He said the referendum should meet the highest standards of fairness and transparency.

Westminster ministers have already launched their own consultation on plans for the referendum, but have clashed with the Scottish government over who has the legal power to hold it.

Mr Salmond's consultation will put forward a range of options for handling the referendum, rather than arguing the case for independence itself. This may also include the SNP's call to let 16 and 17-year-olds vote and proposals to open polling stations on a Saturday, with the intention of increasing voter turnout.

A Referendum Bill, introduced to parliament early next year, could be passed towards the end of 2013, with the vote itself being held after the European elections in June 2014, and the Commonwealth Games, which are being staged in Glasgow.

In the meantime, the Holyrood and Westminster governments have become locked in a row over who has the right to hold the referendum.

The UK government said it recognised the SNP's landslide election win last May, and the need for a referendum "made in Scotland", by the Scottish Parliament.
Continue reading the main story
Read more

Take 12 unresolved questions on independence

Take 12 key dates in the relationship between Scotland and England

Expat Scots give their views on Scottish independence
'Move on'

But it also argued that, because constitutional issues were reserved to Westminster, new powers must be devolved to Scotland to ensure the referendum is legally watertight and cannot be challenged in the courts.

Mr Moore told the BBC Radio's Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme that progress was being made on the issue, adding: "There appears now to be a general agreement that we need to provide the legal powers to the Scottish Parliament so that we can get a referendum that's made in Scotland that's legal, that's fair and decisive."

The Scottish secretary said he was keen to get the process for the referendum dealt with properly, so the country could move on to debating the issue of independence itself.
Continue reading the main story
SNP position Unionist position

Wants the referendum in the autumn of 2014

Wants the referendum "sooner rather than later"

Backs a yes/no ballot but is open minded on including a second "devo max" question

Wants a one question yes/no "decisive" ballot

Wants 16 and 17-year-olds to be able to vote in the referendum

Backs the status quo with 18 and over able to vote

Wants a special commission to conduct the referendum, but likely to back Electoral Commission option

Wants the Electoral Commission to oversee the vote

Q&A: Independence referendum

Calling on the SNP to bring its preferred date forward, Mr Moore said: "This central issue of whether Scotland should stay within the United Kingdom or leave is so fundamental, and the SNP has such a clear position on it, that I don't see why we need to wait the best part of three years to make that decision."

SNP ministers have disagreed in the legal position, and have accused the coalition of trying to dictate the terms of the referendum, such as its time scale and the wording of what appears on the ballot paper.

The Scottish government said it would welcome the extra legal powers, but warned against them coming with "strings attached".

Ms Sturgeon told BBC Scotland that the Scottish government consultation would look at how the referendum should be regulated and conducted.

On calls to hold it sooner, the deputy first minister added: "I think when people see the timeline that we've set out, they will come to the same conclusion that we've come to and that is that autumn 2014 is the right time to have this referendum.

"It's important that we have due process in terms of consultation in terms of taking the legislation through the Scottish Parliament and then having adequate time for the people of Scotland to debate fully the biggest decision they'll take in 300 years."

Scottish ministers have also indicated that they will accept letting the Electoral Commission to oversee the referendum, despite earlier announcing plans to set up a new Scottish watchdog.

The Tories, Liberal Democrats and Labour, who oppose independence, have also called for a "decisive" result with a single question on the ballot paper, rather than adding a second question on further devolution of powers to Holyrood, or "devo max", as it is sometimes known.

'Debating concerns'

Scottish Conservative constitution spokesman David McLetchie, said: "Independence and devolution are two entirely different things.

"Devolution is about Scotland being part of the United Kingdom, with more or less powers for the Scottish Parliament - independence is about the break-up of Britain - and its the independence issue is the one we have to resolve."

Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont, added: "The people of Scotland deserve a clear, decisive result - that means the SNP reaffirming its commitment to asking a single, unambiguous yes or no question.

"While it may suit the SNP to keep this debate about process, we want this resolved quickly.

"We want to get on to debating the concerns of the Scottish people - such as would we be better off, what currency we would use, and how we would defend ourselves."

Mr Salmond is due to meet Prime Minister David Cameron for talks on the referendum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:17 pm 

During the war of the Three Kingdoms (English civil war) the Scots actually aided Parliament by sending an army south and captured Charles I.

Parliament thanked them by invading Scotland once Charles had been executed. :D

I think this sums up our relationship quite well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:31 pm 

Devo max, the have your cake and eat it option.
Give the UK a simple yes or no and I bet "yes" wins as comfortably as "no" did in the last referendum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:45 pm 

If they get away with this I want an English parliament.

Post subject: Re: Scotland?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:12 am 

Well,it's finally upon us. After three years of constantly building pressure and non stop banter this thread is ready to burst!

This thread, earlier.

What will the fat smackhead cunts north of the border decide this week? Do we give a fuck? I certainly don't. Fuck the Scottish. Fuck them in right their Braveheart VHS. Fuck Ally McCoist. Fuck Jimmy Krankie. Fuck Mark Renton. Fuck Mrs Doubtfire.

Cameron's "please don't go" speech tonight was fucking lame. Good quote from Quentin Letts:

Quote:
He lifted his eyes and it was like looking into the gaze of a spaniel that knows you have one last piece of sausage on your plate.

I hope they vote yes. I want to see them burn. Or hang. Or both.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 am 

Yeh fuck them. Unbelievably short-sighted if they do go ahead with this. Any jock with half a brain, well half a normal person's brain can see this spells crises for them.

On the flipside, all the 'home countries' hate England, at least the jocks are prepared to do something about it. Manifestly stupid idea, but courageous. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:55 am 

I hope they vote for independence. If they don't it'll only be because they're afraid of the uncertainty, they'll still hate us just as much. It's like having a wife who you know doesn't love you anymore but is worried she won't be able to pay the bills if she leaves. Just go you skank, I don't fancy you anymore anyway.

At least if they go that'll be the end of it. It's so tight, if they vote to keep the union the nationalists will be able to say nearly half of Scottish people voted against being ruled from Westminister. They'll go away, regroup and bore us to death again in another 7 years time or however long they have to wait.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:55 am 

If they vote for the union can we then vote as to whether we actually want them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 am 

William Wallace me arse!! Only country ever not to vote for independence - what a bunch of fuckwits.. :text-freedom:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next