Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1722 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 87  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
I thought that there were loads of books about Jesus so who decided upon which ones went in the bible and which didn't or should I force myself to read the Da Vinci Code again?

There are at least 12 Gospels still in existance. I was once reading a book called The Jesus Mysteries when there was a knock at the door. I answered the door with the book still in my hand. It was a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses. They offered me a leaflet about Jesus. I declined, held up my book and said another bloke had been here earlier, given me this book and convinced me the bible was a load of bollocks.

I told them to have a nice day and closed the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:58 am 

I'm half way through "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak:

1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

It's very dark and atmospheric and very hard to put down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:54 pm 

Buffbill wrote:
I'm half way through "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak:

1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

It's very dark and atmospheric and very hard to put down.

good book.
im reading world war 2 the handbook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:56 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
good book.
im reading world war 2 the handbook

You wanna read my story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:58 pm 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
You wanna read my story?

which one...

how i survived the eastern front by cloudy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:15 pm 

world war 2 the handbook? wuzzat?
MWTB, you read either stalingrad or berlin by anthony beevor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:19 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

Nope, do you reccomend?

I read lots of fact and text books. Bit obsessed with the world wars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:37 pm 

The best war books are

All Quiet on The Western Front
Catch 22
Any Sven Hassell
and for modern and future wars, the works of Dale Brown and Steven Coonts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:39 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
The best war books are

All Quiet on The Western Front
Catch 22
Any Sven Hassell
and for modern and future wars, the works of Dale Brown and Steven Coonts

Read that.
Have you read Birdsong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:41 pm 

Heard about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:42 pm 

Read it bert it's fantastic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:50 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
Read it bert it's fantastic

If you're into recent wars MWTB, you might wanna check out Spanish Civil War. It is also linked to WWII, so would probably be useful to you. I got interested in it a couple of years ago - there's a really good book by the aforementioned Anthony Beevor called 'The Battle For Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939'. Also you might want to read the terrific autobiographical account of the war by George Orwell - 'Homage To Catalonia'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:10 pm 

MrsWeaverToBe wrote:
Nope, do you reccomend?

I read lots of fact and text books. Bit obsessed with the world wars

oh yes def recommend. lot of research went into them, mainly eastern front stuff really. stalingrad covers up to the encirclement and capture of 6th army, berlin pretty much covers the final stages. fairly brutal as well, lots of letters or accounts from either prisoners or letters found on the dead.
another one i've read recently (bit of a military history nut as well...) is blood red snow, accounts of a german machine gunner who had the luck to be posted to stalingrad just as it was encircled, but was on the outside of it.
but yeah anything by beevor i would heartily recommend, good style to it, keeps it pretty factual whilst still being readable.
another goodie would be "the most dangerous enemy", stephen bungay, about the battle of britain. again it's a good mix of fact and records with personal accounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 am 

You should read both of these books, Mrs. W; Beevor knows his stuff. It's just like being there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:57 am 

Buffbill wrote:
You should read both of these books, Mrs. W; Beevor knows his stuff. It's just like being there.

He's right, there's nothing like getting your nose stuck into a Beevor.

(well someone had to didn't they? :o )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:58 am 

If you want to read about the horrors of war (and who doesn't?), try books written by American soldiers who fought in Vietnam. Most of them are accounts of young lads doing a job they were, basically, forced to do whilst scared to death.
I've just finished one called "Dear Mom", written by a sniper who was there in 1968 and '69.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:00 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
He's right, there's nothing like getting your nose stuck into a Beevor.

(well someone had to didn't they? :o )

And it was always going to be you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:06 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:19 am 

Buffbill wrote:

yup, one of the quotes on the back is bedtime reading for those who don't dream. was right nasty the eastern front. guess somethign similar from our point of view would be something about burma or the chindits, 'another no quarter asked or given' front.

Buffbill wrote:
If you want to read about the horrors of war (and who doesn't?), try books written by American soldiers who fought in Vietnam. Most of them are accounts of young lads doing a job they were, basically, forced to do whilst scared to death.
I've just finished one called "Dear Mom", written by a sniper who was there in 1968 and '69.

couple from a guy called tom o'brien - "if i die in a combat zone" and "the things they carried" one is meant to be more fictional, but i could never figure which, both very good if a bit short. "chickenhawk" by robert mason and "dispatches" by michael herr are good uns as well, not actually read chicken hawk, but it keeps on getting recommended or mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 am 

yup, one of the quotes on the back is bedtime reading for those who don't dream. was right nasty the eastern front. guess somethign similar from our point of view would be something about burma or the chindits, 'another no quarter asked or given' front.

couple from a guy called tom o'brien - "if i die in a combat zone" and "the things they carried" one is meant to be more fictional, but i could never figure which, both very good if a bit short. "chickenhawk" by robert mason and "dispatches" by michael herr are good uns as well, not actually read chicken hawk, but it keeps on getting recommended or mentioned.

I read "Chickenhawk " a while ago; it's really haunting. The author ends up in a real mess through drink, drugs, crime, etc. Definitely not a happy ending!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1722 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 87  Next