Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Boxing Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm 

David haye and derick chisora...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWQs8nMsZNg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1   

Post fight brawl...lots of links beside this too...
amazing stuff really..

Chisora arrested at the airport, after death threats to haye, saying he was going to shoot him..

I was out last night and listened to it on 5 live.and adam booth haye's trainer did commentary and he is a good guy, give chisora props all through the fight, but at the end of that clip, chisora is saying that haye 'glassed' him..Well it seems to be adam booth who was glassed, and he was quite menacing when face to face at the end with chisora, just saying 'who hit me with a bottle'..half the size of chisora...

haye and chisora are a utter disgrace to boxing ,chisora already was for slapping dr iornfist and spitting water at him...vlad is a very very dignified champion..not everyones favorite but a class act..

They must make this fight now between haye and chiz....the hype would be through the roof...

WAR MMA..... :approve:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 am 

HW boxing has been dreadful for a long time. The antics of these two just shows how low it has sunk.
The Ks are far from great as well. The HW division has long lost it's glory.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
HW boxing has been dreadful for a long time. The antics of these two just shows how low it has sunk.

Tyson-Lewis-Holyfield was the last set that really captured the imagination, and that was by and large down to Tyson.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Frank Blue wrote:

Tyson-Lewis-Holyfield was the last set that really captured the imagination, and that was by and large down to Tyson.

I think there was an article on the Beeb a while ago saying that the HW division was never really ever that strong.
Prior to that you had to go back to Ali, Frazier and Foreman.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 pm 

I think we are watching the dying of boxing as we know it. It won't ever disappear as it's a hugely popular sport and rich in culture and heritage but I think even the most ardent of supporters has to admit that boxing is conceding popularity to the Mixed Martial Arts code.

Why has this happened? I think due to what Frank mentioned that the HW division has long been full of punks, I think further to that all divisions of the sport suffer from this. And conversely the rise and rise of the all new and ultra marketable MMA has seemingly endless possibilities to grow in to.

WAR MMA. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 pm 

I disagree, some of the lower weights are quite strong atm.
Welterweight for instance, Super Middle has been pretty good as well tbf. :orcs-buttshake:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
I disagree, some of the lower weights are quite strong atm.
Welterweight for instance, Super Middle has been pretty good as well tbf. :orcs-buttshake:

Around the middle weights is where it always was. Movement plus power.
The best ever was Hagler-Hearns-Leonard.
But that's also about 30 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm 

In terms of recent boxing, the only particularly interesting feuds I can think of are Lewis-Tyson(-Holyfield), Mayweather-Pacquiao(-Hatton) and, erm, that's about it. There's part of me that knows I've missed out on boxing's best days - of all the historical sporting events that happened before my time, the Rumble in the Jungle is up there with the ones I wish I'd been able to experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:02 pm 

Although I think you've oversimplified it a little there Darlo (Hatton was interesting, I loved Kosta Tszu, Prince Naseem had some spunk among a few others), I agree in essence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
In terms of recent boxing, the only particularly interesting feuds I can think of are Lewis-Tyson(-Holyfield), Mayweather-Pacquiao(-Hatton) and, erm, that's about it.

None of those you've quoted are actually feuds Darlo. Stop doing that. How can Mayweather & Pacquiao be having a feud when they've never fought? Lewis & Tyson fought once, and from what I remember were boringly respectful towards each other. That's not a feud either.

The reason boxing doesn't seem as exciting any more is because we don't see as much of it over here any more. In the 80s and 90s we'd have live boxing on ITV every week or every other week. I grew up watching Fight Night - you could watch big fights from America and over here, you'd see the champions in action and you'd see up and coming fighters on the undercards making their way towards a title challenge. These days we see pretty much fuck all and have no real idea who the overwhelming majority of the top fighters are. There's just as many exciting fights as there's always been, we just never see or hear about them unless a British fighter's involved.

The UFC's played its part but worldwide PPV buys for the big boxing shows would suggest that the underlying interest is still there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:50 pm 

Bastard wrote:
DarloBlue wrote:
In terms of recent boxing, the only particularly interesting feuds I can think of are Lewis-Tyson(-Holyfield), Mayweather-Pacquiao(-Hatton) and, erm, that's about it.

None of those you've quoted are actually feuds Darlo. Stop doing that. How can Mayweather & Pacquiao be having a feud when they've never fought? Lewis & Tyson fought once, and from what I remember were boringly respectful towards each other. That's not a feud either.

The reason boxing doesn't seem as exciting any more is because we don't see as much of it over here any more. In the 80s and 90s we'd have live boxing on ITV every week or every other week. I grew up watching Fight Night - you could watch big fights from America and over here, you'd see the champions in action and you'd see up and coming fighters on the undercards making their way towards a title challenge. These days we see pretty much fuck all and have no real idea who the overwhelming majority of the top fighters are. There's just as many exciting fights as there's always been, we just never see or hear about them unless a British fighter's involved.

The UFC's played its part but worldwide PPV buys for the big boxing shows would suggest that the underlying interest is still there.

Mayweather and Pacquiao haven't fought but the hype for a potential bout between the two has been going on for a while. I may have been getting a bit confused with Pacquiao v Marquez tbf. I guess I've defined the 'interesting' feud as the amount of hype and build-up surrounding a fight (or potential fight) rather than necessarily the quality of the fights themselves - there is more than one way for a feud to be defined as interesting. I was only young when Lewis faced Tyson so may not remember it particularly well, but I seem to recall there being a lot of hype around that fight.

Boxing seems to lack someone with truly superstar status. Someone like Tyson or Ali. Mayweather and De La Hoya were close but I don't think they garnered quite the same level of media attention (down in a large part to activities outside of the ring). Non-boxing fans knew about Tyson-Lewis, like non-football fans know of Messi and Ronaldo. There aren't that many global sporting superstars, but boxing seems to be a sport that had previously had its fair share.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm 

Hatton and kostya were very respectful towards each other.mrs kimbo and i went to that at the men, we went to a few ricky fights, and he was always respectful, and kostya after that fight offered hatton any help he ever wanted..

as far as naseem went, he just took the piss, he never really had any beef with anyone, steve robinson was funny, he really took the piss there..

the only real feud of late, where there was real heat, was oscar dela hoya and ricardo mayorga..that had genuine malice..

haye vs chizzora would be a really great hype machine, and a british fight that would generate a ton of cash..
let em settle it in the ring the pair of dicks..

i think wanderlei and chuck liddel had legit heat.

But for sure tito ortiz and ken shamrock was a long running bad feud, and tito and chuck too..
rashad and rampage was great fun..

stuff like this makes a good fight..

rashad and bones will be like this.
and chael sonnen vs anderson sliva will be good...

lets get in on......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
haye vs chizzora would be a really great hype machine, and a british fight that would generate a ton of cash..

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they both get their licenses revoked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm 

Bastard wrote:

this is very likely. well actually, Haye has no licence, it expired last year but yes Chisora may get his revoked and Haye is unlikely to get one okayed on the back of this. If Haye is found guilty of GBH he'll do 6 months. Unlikely he'd do it but you can bet he's called his lawyer already.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm 

Ward-Gatti had 3 great bouts which I won't ever forget about. Seemed to have a lot of respect for each other though in fairness.

Barrera-Morales had some unbelievable fights, and they seemed to genuinely hate each other!

Nigel Benn-Chris Eubank anyone? There have been loads of great fights of recent as well as these. :character-mario:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:03 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Bastard wrote:

this is very likely. well actually, Haye has no licence, it expired last year but yes Chisora may get his revoked and Haye is unlikely to get one okayed on the back of this. If Haye is found guilty of GBH he'll do 6 months. Unlikely he'd do it but you can bet he's called his lawyer already.

Froch gave an interview where he reckoned Haye could be excused for acting in self-defence. Apparently Chisora was the aggressor and it was a case of Haye getting a shot in before Chisora did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 pm 

cod head wrote:
Ward-Gatti had 3 great bouts which I won't ever forget about. Seemed to have a lot of respect for each other though in fairness.

Barrera-Morales had some unbelievable fights, and they seemed to genuinely hate each other!

Nigel Benn-Chris Eubank anyone? There have been loads of great fights of recent as well as these. :character-mario:

Saw benn and eubank twice..once at the swamp and then at the men arena with naseem on the card and manchesters own ensley bingham..his brother did my brake discs at kwik fit a few years ago..
Ward and gatti were quality for sure..
Hulk hogan vs the ulitmate warrior....now were talking feuds... :character-beavisbutthead:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 am 

[quote="cod head"
Hulk hogan vs the ulitmate warrior....now were talking feuds... :character-beavisbutthead:

Ultimate warrior was such a nutter, lol. :angry-screaming:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 am 

Sgt Slaughter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:05 am 

WAR Carl Froch!

Fucking awesome. What a performance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next