Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 pm 

Royal wedding: Bishop apologises for Facebook rant The Bishop criticised media coverage of the engagement as "fawning deferential nonsense" Continue reading the main story
Related stories
In quotes: Will and Kate A Church of England bishop has apologised for "deeply offensive" comments on Facebook about Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton.

The Bishop of Willesden, the Rt Rev Pete Broadbent, said the marriage would last about seven years.

"We need a party in Calais for all good republicans who can't stand the nauseating tosh that surrounds this event," he wrote of the wedding day.

The bishop has now apologised for the "distress" his comments caused.

A spokesman for Clarence House declined to comment on either the bishop's remarks or his apology.

Bishop Broadbent said in a statement that he had conveyed his "sincere regrets" over the Facebook comments both to the couple and to Prince Charles, to whom he had also referred.

'Major error'

"I recognise that the tone of my language and the content of what I said were deeply offensive, and I apologise unreservedly for the hurt caused," he said.

"It was unwise of me to engage in a debate with others on a semi-public internet forum and to express myself in such language.

"I accept that this was a major error of judgement on my part. I wish Prince William and Kate Middleton a happy and lifelong marriage, and will hold them in my prayers."

No date has yet been set for the Royal wedding The bishop made a string of comments through a series of posts on Wednesday.

Marriages should be about family, not "some piece of national flim-flam paid for out of our taxes, for a couple whose lives are going to be persecuted and spoilt by an ignorant media", he had said.

After criticising royalty for a history of broken marriages and a "corrupt and sexist" hereditary principle, he then went on to attack the "gutter press" for "persecuting" the Royal Family.

His comments were revealed in the Mail on Sunday newspaper and were criticised by Conservative MP and friend of Prince Charles, Nicholas Soames, who told the paper: "They are extremely rude, not what one expects from a bishop."

The bishop's apology was issued as the Queen, who is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, prepared to formally open the General Synod, the Church's national assembly in London, on Tuesday.

Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, said: "It is extraordinary that a bishop of the Church of England should be a republican, given that Prince William - when he ascends the throne - will be his future boss."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:01 pm 

When did we last burn a heretical Bishop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:12 pm 

far too long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm 

You're welcome. Bit if a strumpet isn't she? Apparently fit to be Royalty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:38 pm 

actually danny, that reminds me - i found a rich vein of similar the other day that i need to put together and email you.

4chan /s/ can be as useful as /b can be disturbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 pm 

Well, she's made my eighteenth a national holiday, so I'm a fan now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:07 pm 

Good luck to them I say.

Apparently, she's the first person to squeeze into Diana's ring since Dodi died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:23 pm 

I Heart Lung wrote:
Apparently, she's the first person to squeeze into Diana's ring since Dodi died.

OMG!! That's outrageous!!!!

[SIZE="1"]he didn't do dat dough didi?[/SIZE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:53 am 

I'm not impressed with a bank holiday being declared. Will cost us quite a lot in lost income. Another kick in the balls for small businesses at a time when we can't afford it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:01 am 

Our Tommy wrote:
I'm not impressed with a bank holiday being declared. Will cost us quite a lot in lost income. Another kick in the balls for small businesses at a time when we can't afford it.

Exactly, couldnt they have it on a Saturday?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:02 am 

Our Tommy wrote:

Yeah, and fuck that c*nt Jesus for costing us 2 days lost business over the year too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:17 am 

ESM wrote:
Yeah, and fuck that c*nt Jesus for costing us 2 days lost business over the year too!!!

:D

Normal bank holidays are fine but as Danny said why don't they get wed at a weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:27 am 

Our Tommy wrote:
:D

Normal bank holidays are fine but as Danny said why don't they get wed at a weekend?

The royals just don't seem too, don't know why tbh.

We work the longest hours with the least public holidays in Europe, so I don't begrudge another as a one off. Anyway, as it's a bank holiday businesses can still choose to open if they want too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am 

Back in 1981 all it too was for Charles to give Diana a little peck on the lips to make the Brits forget they were in the middle of a major recession.

Things are a lot worse today. I reckon Wills will have to play snowball with Kate followed up with a serious rimming session to distract the nation from the ongoing economic doom and impending financial meltdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 am 

Apparently Westminster Abbey is a lot cheaper on a Friday than the weekend, so, no brainer really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 am 

slart wrote:
Back in 1981 all it too was for Charles to give Diana a little peck on the lips to make the Brits forget they were in the middle of a major recession.

Things are a lot worse today. I reckon Wills will have to play snowball with Kate followed up with a serious rimming session to distract the nation from the ongoing economic doom and impending financial meltdown.

The more I look at her, she looks more like a footballer's harlot than royalty. Hot but she ain't royalty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
The more I look at her, she looks more like a footballer's harlot than royalty. Hot but she ain't royalty.

She isn't though, her family were originally industrialists from Leeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:47 am 

slart wrote:

I doubt Wills and Harry spit roasting her on the alter whilst the Queen licks their balls would do that tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 am 

ESM wrote:
She isn't though, her family were originally industrialists from Leeds.

Does she become royalty once she marries one? How's it work?

P.S. I bet you LOVE that she's from Leeds. You Yorkies all stick together doncha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 am 

ESM wrote:
I doubt Wills and Harry spit roasting her on the alter whilst the Queen licks their balls would do that tbf.

what would they have to do to distract us?

maybe we could forward the best suggestions to the queen, and cc david cameron in on it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next