Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:11 pm 

2, then 1, cause 1's not going anywhere fast imo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 pm 

Sums it up perfectly imo:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:42 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Sums it up perfectly imo:

Is that lewis hamilton and the pirelli F1 tyres..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:31 pm 

I see he's favoured a Bridgestone/ Firestone combo after the weekend. Pirelli lost me many fantasy points at Silverstone :mad:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 am 

Quote:
Ossett cafe owner 'warns' customers she is black
Martha-Renée Kolleh said the notice had prompted "one or two swear words" A cafe owner has put up a sign telling customers she is black because she is fed up with people walking out when they see the colour of her skin.

The sign on the door of Yeanon Cafe in Ossett, West Yorkshire, reads: "I am a black woman... If you are allergic to black people, don't come in."

Martha-Renée Kolleh said some people "take a look at me and walk out".

Local councillor Tony Richardson said he was "shocked" as he did not believe racism was widespread in the town.

A spokesman for Wakefield Council said it was "obviously concerned" by the issue which it had not been made aware of before.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
They just open the door of my cafe and once they take a look at me they walk out”
End Quote
Martha-Renée Kolleh

Owner, Cafe Yeanon
"I would urge the business involved to get in touch with us as soon as possible," the spokesman added.

Figures for ethnicity from the 2011 Census show that of Ossett's population of 16,116, 97.5% (15,724) were recorded as white.

Closure fear

Ms Kolleh said the reaction to the sign, which adds that the cafe serves "quality wholesome meals", had been mixed.

"Some people find it amusing, they were laughing and said 'oh yes it's about time you put that up', so I think they all realise what's going on here," she said.

"And some others just read it and walk away. I've heard one or two swear words as well regarding the notice."

The single mother-of-three has run the cafe for two years, serving a mixture of British, African and Caribbean food.

Ms Kolleh told BBC Radio Leeds a lot of people in Ossett had supported her, but if business did not improve she would have to close by autumn.

She said: "I put [the sign] there because of the way people treat me in Ossett.

"They just open the door of my cafe and once they take a look at me they walk out."

"When they open the door they will expect to see a black face," she said.

'Crush' racism

Labour councillor Tony Richardson, who represents Ossett on Wakefield Council, said he was "utterly appalled" when he saw the sign.

"It has shocked me very much," he said. "I have spent 20 years as a trade unionist and fought against this sort of attitude and I certainly won't put up with it in Ossett.

"We have got to say it potentially could smack of racism and if it does we have to crush it with everything we have got."

He said he hoped to meet Ms Kolleh to give her his "full support and offer her anything she needs from me".

Mr Richardson stressed that he believed most people in the town would support Ms Kolleh.

"I am absolutely certain there is not a problem in Ossett. I have met thousands of people in Ossett and they are wonderful people, very diverse," he said.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:18 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:19 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:57 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:34 pm 

the italians really are wonderful for this stuff.

Quote:
Italian senator says black minister has 'features of orangutan'
Roberto Calderoli is condemned after speech in which he also said Cécile Kyenge should work as minister 'in her country'
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 14 July 2013 15.49 BST
Cécile Kyenge, who has faced repeated racial slurs since becoming minister for integration in April. Photograph: Tiziano Brodolini/Barcroft Med
The Italian prime minister, Enrico Letta, has condemned as unacceptable comments made by a senior rightwing senator in which he suggested the country's first black government minister had "the features of an orangutan".

Cécile Kyenge, an eye surgeon who was born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo but has Italian citizenship, has faced repeated racial slurs and threats since being appointed minister for integration by Letta in April.

She was once again on the receiving end of grossly offensive comments on Saturday when Roberto Calderoli, a former minister under Silvio Berlusconi and senate vice-president of the Northern League, told a rally in the northern town of Treviglio that Kyenge would be better off working as a minister "in her country".

According to the Corriere della Sera, which reported the event, he added: "I love animals – bears and wolves, as is known – but when I see the pictures of Kyenge I cannot but think of the features of an orangutan, even if I'm not saying she is one."

The remark provoked horror from the rest of the Italian political class, especially in Kyenge's centre-left Democratic party. In a statement, Letta said the remarks were unacceptable. "Full solidarity and support to Cécile," he added.

Asked about the comments, Kyenge said it was not up to her to call on Calderoli to resign, but hoped all politicians would "reflect on their use of communication". "I do not take Calderoli's words as a personal insult but they sadden me because of the image they give of Italy," she told the Ansa news agency.

Ever since she was made minister in Letta's fractious grand coalition government, Kyenge, 48, has been the target of much criticism from the League. Some of it has been directed at her policies, particularly her desire to change a harsh citizenship law to make it easier for Italian-born children of foreigners to gain full nationality before they are 18.

But some of it has been very personal and vitriolic. Mario Borghezio, a member of the European parliament for the League, said in April that Kyenge wanted to "impose her tribal traditions from the Congo" and branded Letta's coalition a "bongo bongo" government. "She seems like a great housekeeper but not a government minister."

In June a local councillor for the League was ejected from the party after she posted a message on Facebook suggesting Kyenge should be raped. Referring to an alleged attempted rape in Genoa, Dolores Valandro wrote: "Why does no one rape her, so she can understand what the victim of this atrocious crime felt?"

Asked on Sunday to explain the latest slur, Calderoli insisted he had been joking. "I was speaking at a rally and I made a joke, an unfortunate one perhaps," he told Ansa. "I did not want to cause offence and if Minister Kyenge has been offended I apologise but my joke came in the context of a much broader political speech that criticised the minister and her politics."

This is not the first time that the 57-year-old has caused controversy. In 2006 he quit the government after going on television in a T-shirt emblazoned with cartoons of the prophet Muhammad – a move credited with inspiring deadly riots outside the Italian consulate in Libya.

Later that year, after Italy's football team beat France in the World Cup, he said the opposing side had been made up of "niggers, Muslims and communists". In 2007, he called for a "Pig Day" protest against the construction of a mosque in Bologna.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:25 pm 

http://news.sky.com/story/1115903/asiana-sues-over-racist-names-in-tv-report

:whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09 pm 

the italians are racist every day of the week

Quote:
Italian integration minister issues defiant response to banana stuntCountry's first black minister chides unknown culprit for 'wasting food', after fruit was thrown at the stage during political rally
Share 506
inShare.11Email Lizzy Davies in Rome
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 28 July 2013 14.52 BST Jump to comments (252)
Italian integration minister Cécile Kyenge has been the target of repeated racial abuse. Photograph: Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty Images
Cécile Kyenge, whose groundbreaking term as Italy's first black minister has been repeatedly marred by racist insults and protests, has reacted with defiance after bananas were thrown at her during a political rally.

The minister for integration, who is a naturalised Italian citizen born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, was giving a speech in the town of Cervia on the Adriatic coast on Friday.

After the bananas narrowly missed the stage, she chided the unknown culprit for "wasting food". On Sunday she said that the unrelenting barrage of hostility since she became minister in April was more vicious than she had anticipated, but would not stop her doing her job.

"I cannot hide that at times I feel tired of the repetition of such serious insults. I did not expect them to be this strong," she told daily newspaper La Repubblica. "But I will not stop or dwell on the attacks themselves. I am trying to look ahead, to reflect on the discomfort that we must understand is behind these incidents and on how politics and society as a whole can best respond."

Since her inclusion in Enrico Letta's grand coalition prompted one MEP in the xenophobic Northern League to brand it a "bongo bongo" government, Kyenge has been the target of repeated racial abuse. Before her arrival in Cervia, police said they had found mannequins daubed with blood-red paint and bearing signs reading: "Immigration kills".

The far-right party Forza Nuova (FN) claimed responsibility for the mannequins but denied having anything to do with the banana throwing. Graffiti daubed on a wall the town of Macerata, near Ancona, in May, however, would appear to show the party is not averse to such actions. It read: "Kyenge, go back to Congo".

Police said on Sunday they were trying to identify who had thrown the bananas.

Asked if the attacks would deter Kyenge from her priorities – which include changing the law to make it easier for children born to immigrants in Italy to gain Italian citizenship – she replied that, on the contrary, they gave her confidence, even if they also made her concerned for the safety and wellbeing of her family. "In a way, the attacks strengthen me and the country," she said. "The reactions to these insults … end up uniting 'good' Italy and will perhaps help to reawaken many consciences which have slightly dozed off in recent years."

The latest incident was roundly condemned by the political mainstream, with expressions of solidarity from her centre-left Democratic Party (PD) and members Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right Freedom People PdL party and the Northern League.

However, in a pointed comment, Kyenge called on her fellow politicians to watch what they say. "Those who take on public roles or political leadership should understand the importance of the words they utter," she said.

Earlier this month, Roberto Calderoli, the League's vice-president in the Senate with a track record of racist and Islamophobic comments, prompted intense controversy when he said the minister reminded him of an orang-utan. Although the remark was condemned furiously by many, including prime minister Letta, who said he should resign, Calderoli remains in his job.

Kyenge, an eye surgeon who was elected as an MP in February, said her experience in recent months showed that there was a need for a nationwide reflection on racism and immigration in Italy. "In other European countries, like Sweden, there are black ministers, but what happens to me in Italy does not happen to them," she said.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:09 am 

Nice photoshopping IWS. Who would buy that as real? :doh:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am 

:clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 am 

Imagine being chucked out of a football stadium for saying "man up".

This country..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:53 pm 

Handicapped? .. Really?

I just can't keep up.

This was me all ready to go to the Cup final last season:

until i was told it just wasn't appropriate and i had to get changed .... Really?

I just can't keep up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm 

The photo cuts it off, it actually says "handicapped cunt".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 pm 

i notice "spergy" is not on there, nor mentalist, headbanger or psycho.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 pm 

Adobe Illustrator, inb4 midnight:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am 

I get Pikey or Gypo, but Gypsy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next