Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Boac
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 am 

Having been awake for a good while thinking about our friend Benny I wanted to start a thread that did a couple of things.

Many of you have already been able to express on the twatter thread your shock and sadness at losing him and how much he meant to you. The thread title (bought a chuckle) was a Bennyism as I recall, and he always did that whether you met him on here or in "real" life so to speak. Here's his "home page" for example: http://www.omnomnomnom.co.uk/

Everyone loved Benny but he also loved the forum and, whilst his influence undoubtably shaped the way we are on here, we should also be proud of the friendship and support that the forum gave to him.

Through the forum he made many good friends, Bastard (who gave me the idea this thread title), Paddy, MRAMB, Emigre to my knowledge especially, but also countless others who will all know who they are.
Despite his outward appearance Benny was a deeply troubled soul at times and, whilst I don't know much of the detail myself, I do know that his friends on here made his life much better, more fun and meant a great deal to him.

Going to see City will always be tinged with sadness for me now. I can't imagine ever not looking to see if he's in his seat in East Stand, something I've done this every game this year even though he didn't renew his season card, or looking out for him at half time and a pint and a chat with Bert or Bastard.

Whether we knew him in person or just online we will miss the bright sunshine he bought to into our lives but the warmth he gave will stay with us for ever.

So, next time you're at the CoMS or even in your local pub order yourself a John Smith's, drink a third of it, then drop in a Blue WKD and raise a toast to our friend with his favourite disgusting half time tipple.

We will miss him terribly and he will be missing us.

If you have a favourite memory of Benny that you'd like to share you might want to post it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 am 

When I split up with my last boyfriend I had no where to live. Benny, without hesitation, offered me his sofa. I woke up to a brew, a cig and a hug.
Benny was one of my closest mates in Manchester and although our friendship rarely travelled out of - a brew, a whinge and a cig at his flat, it was the best brew in Manchester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 am 

We'd spend hours talking about friday nite treats. Benny you know what im talking about.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:00 am 

Just posted, then quickly deleted, an inappropriate message as I thought this was a bit of a laugh until I checked. However, I reckon that Bennny would have had a BOAC anyway.
I didn't know Benny personally, but I always liked to see his replies, he made me laugh and he felt like a friend. Can you miss someone you never met? I think you can because I miss Benny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am 

I have a list in my head of posters I would look for on a thread to see if the post was worth reading or not.

Benny was in the top two, funny, clever and always to the point, he provided me with more laugh at my desk moments than a grown man should have

I never met him, but will sorely miss his wit and wisdom

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:32 am 

I can't really say that Benny was a close friend, as I didn't meet him enough times to make such a claim, but what I do know is that he was a good friend, one of the best. I knew that he would always have my back if ever it was needed, and that's all you can ask of someone you know through t'internet. At times he was one of the few voices of reason on here, and his warmth and generosity shone through in everything he posted. And his stats obsession, of course.

I hope that wherever he is, he is considering the dimensions of an orange somehow.

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 am 

I only knew him through the forum but he was such a big part of the forum it was untrue. He always stuck up for people who were unfairly getting a hard time and did everything he could to make sure everyone got along (an impossible and thankless task). That list he posted of all the people who he'd put up for the night at one time or another is a testiment to what a generous and likeable bloke he was. RIP mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:50 am 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slept badly last night.

I first met Benny on 606 and when we moved here he was one of a little group of expatriates like me in France and Seattle Blue (akaLabmonkey)and others in the US. Benny was in Puerto Rico at the time.
From his first posts it was clear that here was a man of intellect and humour, traits he exemplified as the Forum grew and he became a Moderator, where we all admired his patience and evenhandedness.
His breadth of knowledge in many subjects was amazing.
I first met him in real life about 2 years ago when a quiet drink with him and Paddy in London turned into a riotous night, they told me ,as I had long gone to bed when they went home. It was always a pleasure to have a pre match drink with him and that will be something I will miss. He is known on the forum for his open house generosity, picking up the forum waifs and weegies and looking after th
The Forum will miss him.
I will miss him.

I counted him as a friend and I hope that he thought of me in a similar way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 am 

I met Benjamin once, before the Hamburg game, and it was an absolute riot. One of the best build-ups to a football game ever. His range of knowledge and ability to stimulate with his conversation was second to none. I found I couldn't take my eyes off him while he was talking, because he intrigued me that much.
Benny always had the... I can't think of the word to put it, I want to say kindness, but it was so much more than that, of other people at heart, and was a person that could never do enough for somebody.

RIP big guy. The sun shines a little brighter today, all because of your presence up there.

As if to reinforce my point, I'd like to post this very impressive resume I found.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-lakie/7/779/389

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:35 am 

funny the things you notice

home page, right hand side,

top poster: benny

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 am 

Like gibbi I also only met Benny once. Despite me arriving too late for the planned pre-match drinks he came and found me at half time in CoMS, bought me a drink and introduced me to Bastard and Kicker.

This was way beyond what most people would do for someone who a) didn't turn up when they said they would, and b) doesn't even post on here all that much. However, as others have said for Benny this sort of kindness was just par for the course.

I still don't think I've taken it in to be honest, I keep expecting him to turn up on a thread with another boac/dirty joke/pearl of wisdom. A thoroughly decent bloke, it won't be the same without him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:02 am 

Timpblue wrote:
funny the things you notice

home page, right hand side,

top poster: benny

Says it all really.

I have known Dave for a long time, since before the days of internets forums (or is it fora, you know who might know) and I feel priviliged to have done so.

There's a lot of things I want to say but don't really know how to but I would like to thank Benny for the positive effect he has had on my life (and that of so many others). Simply put Dave's about the soundest bloke you're ever likely to meet, the world would be a much better place if there were more like him.

I just wish it didn't end so soon, he'll be sorely missed. My thoughts are with his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:01 am 

A few months ago there was a scurrilous thread about Hayden Panettiere.

This is the picture that Benny posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:22 am 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
I didnt personally know Benny but after my time posting on here I feel that I have grown to know him from afar, clearly he has left a mark on this forum which will never be forgotten. It is nice to see the nature and humanity of a forum that stretches to all corners of the globe, Im sure his family will have comfort in the fact that he touched so many peoples lives in different ways...
God bless you Benny .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
I didnt personally know Benny but after my time posting on here I feel that I have grown to know him from afar, clearly he has left a mark on this forum which will never be forgotten. It is nice to see the nature and humanity of a forum that stretches to all corners of the globe, Im sure his family will have comfort in the fact that he touched so many peoples lives in different ways...
God bless you Benny .....

Hur hur. That ones for you Big Guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:28 am 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
Hur hur. That ones for you Big Guy

:eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:29 am 

blueinyorkshire wrote:
:eek:

He'd be proud. As difficult as it is, he'd want us all happy, rather than downbeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:31 am 

He'd be proud. As difficult as it is, he'd want us all happy, rather than downbeat.

Thats a good thought, we all need to get behind the city and sing for the big guy.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 am 

both ways, undoubtedly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 am 

I dunno what to post here. Just much love for benny. He's at rest now, but selfishly, we all want him back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next