Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
The programme idea's already covered I think - Bastard's sorting it out for the Scunthorpe game. Definitely count me in for a contribution to whatever's decided is the best idea.

Scunthorpe game would be good. I am at that game so could get Miggs a copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:44 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
The programme idea's already covered I think - Bastard's sorting it out for the Scunthorpe game. Definitely count me in for a contribution to whatever's decided is the best idea.

ditto

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:49 am 

Labmonkey wrote:
So quite a few different things have been suggested:

- chip in for match ball sponsorship
- chip in for a donation to charity
- chip in for flowers for the funeral
- get something in the matchday programme
- get something announced at the stadium

Are there any other suggestions? If so, I can edit this post and then the list can be discussed with Benny's family to see what they want.

If we're going to make a donation, how about making it to the new Children's Hospital? It's the club's official charity, so it seems to fit quite nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am 

the ghost of gibbi wrote:
I'm gonna have to request the same thing dude!

likewise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:56 am 

We could try and get a stand named after him. Hey, if they can do it for that Colin Bell geezer, they can do it for Benny :cool:

Srsly though, if it ends up being the charity then count me in for a donation too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:03 am 

ditto on donation, charity or whatever is deemed best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:19 am 

Labmonkey wrote:
So quite a few different things have been suggested:

- chip in for match ball sponsorship
- chip in for a donation to charity
- chip in for flowers for the funeral
- get something in the matchday programme
- get something announced at the stadium

Are there any other suggestions? If so, I can edit this post and then the list can be discussed with Benny's family to see what they want.

I'll be seeing pretty much all his family today so I'll discuss it with them. I don't think he'd have been too arsed about us sending flowers to the funeral tal Benny.

I've thought a bit about it myself and the cause that stood out for me was Sense about Science (http://www.mancityforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6139). It's definitely something Benny felt very strongly about and I think it's something fitting in his memory. As a fledgling organisation up against some big ugly enemies they could probably do with any small financial help.

As has been mentioned I'm aiming to get something in the Scunthorpe program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am 

I like that idea a lot Bastard.

Could someone get me a Scunnie programme please as I won't be at the match?

PM please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 am 

Bastard wrote:
I'll be seeing pretty much all his family today so I'll discuss it with them. I don't think he'd have been too arsed about us sending flowers to the funeral tal Benny.

I've thought a bit about it myself and the cause that stood out for me was Sense about Science (http://www.mancityforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6139). It's definitely something Benny felt very strongly about and I think it's something fitting in his memory. As a fledgling organisation up against some big ugly enemies they could probably do with any small financial help.

As has been mentioned I'm aiming to get something in the Scunthorpe program.

Sounds perfect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 am 

Squidge wrote:
We could try and get a stand named after him. Hey, if they can do it for that Colin Bell geezer, they can do it for Benny :cool
Would have to have a fitting name though, how about calling it "The Benny Erection"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:34 am 

Hi

Another new poster, I hope you don’t mind. I’ve been reading through this thread at ‘Bastard’s’ suggestion. I guess he thought it would offer some comfort, by giving even just a glimmer of an insight into how loved and respected Dave is by so many people. Mr B was right of course – isn’t he always...?!?*

I’ve only known Dave a little over 18 months. In that short time he’s gone from being a stranger, a name from the internet... and quite frankly someone I was vaguely suspicious of...‘what do you mean, you’re going to London to stay the night with a man called Benny you’ve met off of the internet?’...to someone who is without a doubt one of the best friends I will ever be lucky enough to have.

We’ve spent a riotous time together in these few short months from gigs, to club nights, to parties, to football matches, to festivals, to Barcelona, to time down the pub, to nice meals in and out, to just sitting in watching rubbish telly together, to Dave valiantly trying to teach me statistics.

But it wasn’t all parties and fun times with stats, we also spent time together doing nothing but talking and it is those conversations I’m dissecting, analysing, pulling apart trying to find something, anything that would’ve altered the path away from where we all sit now.

I feel incredibly lucky to have known Dave. He said recently he could tell me anything and for that I felt honoured, as I knew he had many, many friends all over the country and beyond. Obviously though, he couldn’t really tell me everything and for that I will feel an immense sadness forever.

Rest in Peace Dave – everything and more anyone could have wished for in a friend. Truly one of a kind.

Fieldmouse xx

*well no actually, but that's a debate for another day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 am 

Fieldmouse wrote:
Hi

Another new poster, I hope you don’t mind. I’ve been reading through this thread at ‘Bastard’s’ suggestion. I guess he thought it would offer some comfort, by giving even just a glimmer of an insight into how loved and respected Dave is by so many people. Mr B was right of course – isn’t he always...?!?*

I’ve only known Dave a little over 18 months. In that short time he’s gone from being a stranger, a name from the internet... and quite frankly someone I was vaguely suspicious of...‘what do you mean, you’re going to London to stay the night with a man called Benny you’ve met off of the internet?’...to someone who is without a doubt one of the best friends I will ever be lucky enough to have.

We’ve spent a riotous time together in these few short months from gigs, to club nights, to parties, to football matches, to festivals, to Barcelona, to time down the pub, to nice meals in and out, to just sitting in watching rubbish telly together, to Dave valiantly trying to teach me statistics.

But it wasn’t all parties and fun times with stats, we also spent time together doing nothing but talking and it is those conversations I’m dissecting, analysing, pulling apart trying to find something, anything that would’ve altered the path away from where we all sit now.

I feel incredibly lucky to have known Dave. He said recently he could tell me anything and for that I felt honoured, as I knew he had many, many friends all over the country and beyond. Obviously though, he couldn’t really tell me everything and for that I will feel an immense sadness forever.

Rest in Peace Dave – everything and more anyone could have wished for in a friend. Truly one of a kind.

Fieldmouse xx

*well no actually, but that's a debate for another day.

Thanks for sharing mate. Benny certainly seemed to have a great group of friends around him, something that I'm sure he would've been really grateful for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 pm 

Nearly Castillo wrote:
Would have to have a fitting name though, how about calling it "The Benny Erection"?

That would be amazing.

Or The BOAC Stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:28 pm 

Do you think they'd let us put a trebuchet on top of the BOAC stand, too?

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:36 pm 

one large enough to launch a 500kg projectile at the swamp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:42 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
one large enough to launch a 500kg projectile at the swamp?

[color="White"]*awaits joke about Mrs W*[/color]
Yes

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:14 pm 

the more i read this thread the more two things occur to me

1) I wish i had touched as many people as benny did - (hur hur) that one's for you fella

2) The tragedy of this is that he didn't feel that he could speak to any of his obviously large and devoted circle of friends when he really needed to. The number of people who have voiced 'what if's' on here is testament to how much love and help was out there for him if he had only asked for it

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:23 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
the more i read this thread the more two things occur to me

1) I wish i had touched as many people as benny did - (hur hur) that one's for you fella

2) The tragedy of this is that he didn't feel that he could speak to any of his obviously large and devoted circle of friends when he really needed to. The number of people who have voiced 'what if's' on here is testament to how much love and help was out there for him if he had only asked for it

Ok Timps,

1/ You can touch me if you want.

2/ I would claim no expertise in this area other than a small amount of personal/family experience and I can honestly say it doesn't work like that.
I don't want to elaborate too much as I think it would be disrespectful to both benny and his friends and family to do so but the reality is that only professional help could really have done much for him and even then it's not guaranteed.

No-one should think about "what ifs?" or "maybe I should have done more"

We are not trained to perform surgery so if we came across a friend who'd been hit by a car we wouldn't stand there thinking "I wish I'd spent 7 years at medical school so I could perform a life saving operation right now" would we?

I know Benny's friends were always there for him. Sometimes friendship is just not enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:27 pm 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:

2/ I would claim no expertise in this area other than a small amount of personal/family experience and I can honestly say it doesn't work like that.
I don't want to elaborate too much as I think it would be disrespectful to both benny and his friends and family to do so but the reality is that only professional help could really have done much for him and even then it's not guaranteed.

No-one should think about "what ifs?" or "maybe I should have done more"

We are not trained to perform surgery so if we came across a friend who'd been hit by a car we wouldn't stand there thinking "I wish I'd spent 7 years at medical school so I could perform a life saving operation right now" would we?

I know Benny's friends were always there for him. Sometimes friendship is just not enough.

sadly this is all too often true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:43 pm 

very true,

when do i get to touch you

Aguero

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next